• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Depth of field-Razor Gen II and Razor AMG

remaction

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
SW, WI
An acquaintance was asking me about the Gen II Razor. He would use it for mostly target work but also some hunting.
My question to those of you that have used both the Gen II and the AMG: which requires less parallax adjustment to be in good focus, say from 100 to 600 yards in a hunting situation?
What I am terming "depth of field" is the ability to clearly see the target without having to adjust the parallax knob.
I know what parallax is, but rather wanted to ask this question to see in a hunting situation which has the better depth of field, where actual parallax may not be as much of a concern due to less stable position and a quick shot being needed.

Parallax itself isn’t an issue with either. I don’t know of a scope that will be perfectly clear at 100 and 600. Both the AMG and the Razor are both good from around 200 and beyond when set anywhere from 3-500 on the parallax knob. I have had many razors and this is the sweet spot. To get a sharp focus at 100 yards you will have to turn the knob. To shoot an animal at a closer range you don’t have to touch anything, it just won’t be a perfectly clear image. No biggie.

Thanks. Not looking for perfect but rather, acceptable. Sounds like there is not a clear winner. I have to search around a bit for a post or review that Frank put up on the AMG. My memory says it had good depth of field.

I think either will suit you. Razor gen 2 has a better eyebox and is a superior target scope for this reason and the larger turrets. Razor is a pig weight wise compared to the AMG which should tilt the scales toward the AMG when weight is higher on the priority list. I sold both of my AMG’s because of the first reason I gave and my intended use. Depth of field will be close enough between the two to not matter.

if using some for hunting the AMG is likely the better choice. depending what type of hunting you do. i doubt you'll see the difference between the two

Thanks for the replies guys. I recommended he check out the AMG before buying the Gen II as we only live about 30 miles from Vortex. It sounds like either will be great choices. For me, I would lean toward the AMG due to the weight of the Gen II, but he doesn't seem to be concerned with the extra weight.

Reactions: wade2big