• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert boot recommendations

josh1982

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
WA ST
Looks like the newest thread about this was mid last year, just seeing if anyone has played with anything new for desert boots since then and recommend them. Got orders to NC for some schooling and I finally wore out my issue boots. Biggest thing I'm looking for is quick break in (leave in 4 days) and good arch support. I don't have time to get any ripple soles installed on my old boots otherwise I would take those. Anyone??

Oakley USA made desert boots. These are for desert wear though. Useless when soaked or really wet - I can't imagine them doing well in North Carolina or a Florida/Panama jungle. In the desert the Oakleys excell! I have had these on for extended periods of time and humped miles in them in 100 degree plus heat. I love them and have worn them along with various Danners in the winter. At high heat, and dry conditions I love these Oakleys. That isn't to say they can't take a rainstorm, your feet will be wet and dry quickly. But they are a desert boot. Bridgedale socks!

Only reason I say desert boot is because its a uniform item and i can't sway away from "desert tan". Think I will give the Rocky boots a shot if the PX has my size. Thanks for everyone's input!

I definitely prefer the Oakley boots. We got them issued to us back in 2006 and I loved them, light weight, easy break in, and good performance. when we did amphibious operations the Oakley boots would drain and dry quickly. ultimately it is up to you, what fits best, whats available, and what you can afford.
my rule of thumb was always this: muddy, nasty areas and cold weather got waterproof boots. hot weather, or any chance of being in water over the top of your boot line go with the desert boots.

Still prefer the USMC approved Bates light weight desert boots. Made from pigskin (higher follicle count per inch than normal leather, so they breathe better), and require very little break in...

Lowa Zephyr Mid Desert Boots.

If you're willing to spend a lot of time breaking them in and don't mind a heavier boot I recommend the USMC Danners hot weather boots. Yeah they're heavy but after a few months of break-in (yup long time lol!) they're comfy as fuck. Done 20 mile hikes and kinetic patrols in them and they've held up. I'll never buy another boot for official duty use.

that being said I've heard nothing but good things about Oakley's boots

I have always liked Danners. Just wear them for a few days and they're amazing. I have used Oakley, Converse, 5.11 and a slew of other brands... They usually wear out pretty quickly (especially if you get them wet and have to keep training). The Danners did a great job as an all-around boot and I like that they can be re-soled. Alot of the molded boots, IE 5.11, Oakley, Converse cannot and I like to keep boots for 2-3 resoles before I replace them; it's much cheaper. Plus, aside from USMC issue boots and Danners, the rest fall apart after a little while of fast roping (if you're into that sort of thing).

Altama, very light and the most comfortable boot I have ever wore out of the box.

Go to the web and they can narrow down by application, desert hot weather, cold weather, mountain etc.

Ok I do not meant to sound stupid but what the hell are desert boots? Is that like winter boots ? Basically specialized boots for hot dry weather and dust?

I always wore Belleville 390 DES. They last forever, very comfortable, and look professional, unlike some of the high speed tennis shoe boots. Ill admit some of them are light and comfortable for a while, but they never last and started hurting my feet as they broke down. Only tried the rocky c4 trainers and nike. Always went back to my bellevilles. My 2 cents

even not living in the desert but in a stone-paved town, since 15/20 years ago I wear Altama desert boots all year round and I never have finded the need of any break-in with them, only adding an additional inner sole inside over the issued_ (less conspicuous, not less effective than Dr.Marten's, by the way)

Lowa Zephyr Desert Mids if you want function over form (not waterproof unless you go non-desert Zephyrs). My experience with Rocky's is as issued gear and they do look good with the desert uniform. I have a buddy who wore them overseas and said they worked fine for that kind of thing too; I never felt the need to experiment beyond the Lowas. The Lowas do wear out faster than some- I went through two pair in a very busy year.