• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tac SRS

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Guys, I dont mean to start a duplicate topic, but I am wanting to hear some current opinions and range reports of the latest generation of the SRS from Desert Tactical. I understand that they have really nailed the latest iteration of the trigger. Can anyone with a recent model confirm this? This was my greatest concern about going to a bull pup design. I really want one for the compact dimensions as well as the ease of having a switch barrel.

I am getting one in 308 with the 338LM conversion. I am hoping that the trigger is great and that the platform meets the 1/2 MOA guarantee. Would love some new pictures as well.

Re: Desert Tac SRS

I recently sold my SRS to another Hide member. Mine was the "latest model" or current revision if you will.

First let me start by saying that DTA's customer service is probably the best you will ever have the pleasure to deal with in this day and age. Melissa (the customer service rep.) is very knowledgeable,patient (a great quality when dealing with a customer like me), friendly,and goes out of her way before and after the sale.

Now onto the rifle. I bought mine with a .308 barrel and the .243 barrel. I only used this rifle for a few long range matches (600 and 1000yrd) and discovered that for ME and what I was using it for...the fast twist .243 was the ticket. Using the 107SMK's and 115 DTAC's it was sooo easy to repeatedly nail a 18" steel gong at a grand that it (almost) became boring. I ended up returning the .308 barrel and only shot it two times.

*NOTE* This rifle gets LOTS of attention where ever you go...so be prepared to have people wanting to talk about it.

One of the common questions I would be asked was about swapping barrels/cal. and the effect this has on the point of impact and/or scope zero.
YES....like any other rifle when going from say a .243 to a .338LM there will be a zero change. But I found going from the .243 to .308 at 100yrds it was only 8-10" difference in POI. Logging the changes in your range book would have you zeroed very quickly when swapping cal.'s.

Trigger....no it is not a TRG trigger (yes..I have owned a TRG-22). But I found the one in my rifle to be very nice. Crisp,no creep,and adjustable from about 1 lb to 5+ lbs. I had no complaints at all with the trigger.

Ergonomics...again...I see lots of post on the internet about how it "looks" and post about scope/eye alignment....most of these post are from folks who have never been behind the rifle. I am a pretty big guy...6'2" 215lbs....this is one of the best "fitting" rifles I have ever owned. The design brings the weight of the rifle to the rear and center...not nose heavy like most tactical rifles. Shooting from the prone is a real pleasure with the SRS.

Now the big one....accuracy....for a tactical rifle...it's a shooter!
The first day I had it I slapped a Bushnell scope on it (my NF had not shown up yet) and headed to the range with some factory ammo. This was with the .308 barrel. After my first sight in group with hunting ammo (see pic...center group) I was a bit disappointed. I then switched to match ammo and the groups shrank down to around 1/2" or so...remember this was the very first outing with the rifle.

I then started some load development for the .243 barrel. Right away I was shooting sub 1/2" groups at 100yrds and 1.3" groups were the norm for 300yrds.

So yes....they are a 1/2 MOA rifle if you do your part.

I have owned many tactical rifles....by far the DTA SRS has been the most fun out of them. Coupled with the accuracy and top notch customer service...I would HIGHLY recommend this rifle.

I hear you out there...if it is such a great rifle why did you sell it. I have been into bench rest shooting lately....and am poor...so to finance my new bench rifle I had to sell this one. I did try and adapt it to a bench rifle....see last pic...by installing a 3" bag block,etc. But a dedicated BR rifle is really the way to go for that game.

Maybe this will help some of your fence sitters out there.

Take care,Stan

Thanks a ton Bmboo. Very well said.

I am planning to do the same type thing with mine. that is, switch between 338LM and 308. That was one of the reasons I decided to let my GAP go for this thing. I want to have a switch barrel that will allow me to basically have both 308 and 338 platforms wothout having to own 2 $2500+ scopes, because I am also poor.

The compactness and great balance is the other big factor that made me order this thing. I know it is no mountain rifle, but at 10" shorter and several pounds lighter than most typical custom "tactical" 308's, it is a drastic improvement for a rifle that will be used for hunting as well as LR target shooting. Cant wait to get it and slap on my PMII 5-25.

Another question. It seems the folks at DTA recommend their 40 moa optic mount instead of 20. I dont mind going with the 40, but is it really the right move? I know I wont need it at the range I typically shoot 308, but will it be needed for the 338LM when I do start shooting longer ranges, as in 1K plus?

I too had reservations on the 40 MOA base when Melissa recommended it. I was think wow....that is a LOT of elevation built into the base.
As long as your scope has 80+ MOA of elevation travel you will be fine. The NF 5.5-22X had 100 MOA travel so it worked out great...no problem getting to 1000yrds...LOL. The .243 only took about 20.5 MOA from a 100yrd zero to get me on target at a grand.

Post some range reports and your feelings on the rifle when you receive it.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro,
Lots of information here...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1202060&page=1

Hope this helps you out.

Oneshot </div></div>

Thanks Oneshot. I have looked at those, and still am. There hasnt been a ton of info added recently and I was hoping to hear about the latest generation of the Scouts. The current trigger is really supposed to be nice. Either way, thanks for the links, there is good info in those.

Looks to me like one disadvantage would be weak side shooting would be difficult, if not impossible, as well as running the bolt without moving your head every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Another question. It seems the folks at DTA recommend their 40 moa optic mount instead of 20. I dont mind going with the 40, but is it really the right move? I know I wont need it at the range I typically shoot 308, but will it be needed for the 338LM when I do start shooting longer ranges, as in 1K plus? "</div></div>

I thought the same thing so I asked DTA:

"Talking with DTA they are recommending their 40 MOA base for the new Premier 5-25x56 on the SRS338. This seems excessive to me with the 103 MOA of total adjustment the scope has. I guess if you want to be able to shoot 2000+ yards but for even just a mile it seems like the 20 MOA or at most the 35 MOA base would do. Anyone know the reason or other factors for the 40 MOA recommendation? Also anyone with the 40 MOA base care to chime in on how easy it is to get a cheek weld. Since the stock is not adjustable can you get high enough the way it is to get a good sight with that much cant in the base?"

and here was the answer direct from SR90:

All of our tapered bases (20,30,40) have the same cheek weld which we designed that way. Ratbert is correct the height difference between the 20 and 40 tapers is very little but we accounted for it anyway.

It takes around 75 MOA of elevation adjustment to make it to 2000 yards with a 338LM so even with a 100 MOA scope if you use a 20 MOA base you will not get to 2K you will get close.

Scope mount taper is a function of total elevation travel. The reason we recommended 40 MOA of taper was to optimize the 100+ MOA of adjustment range. It allows you to shoot as far as your rifle is capable of shooting, It puts your firing distance range in the middle of your scopes adjustment range, which in turn reduces vignetting and parallex and prevents the erector cell from bumping into the sidewall of the scope tube as extreme adjustment ranges, it also puts your 100 yard zero closer to the bottom of the turret reducing the need for a zero stop.

I doubt I will ever have a need for that much taper, but as long as there are no drawbacks, I may as well get it I suppose. The scope going on there will be a 5-26 S&B PMII with P4F reticule.

Can anyone think of any reason not to use the 40?

Can anyone shed any more light on my options for the DT optics mount?

1- Is there any reason not to choose the 40 moa rail given my particular setup? S&B PMII 5-25x56. 90% of the rounds put through the SRS will be from 650 yards to 100 yards. Once I get the 338LM I am going to attempt to find a place to shoot as far as possible. I have a place on private ground where 2K yards could be arranged, but it wont happen much.

2- Is the DT optics mount the best way to go? Are they high quality, compared say, to Badger? What are my other options?

Not trying to be anal, but I am wanting to be sure before dropping almost $200 on a piece of hardware I have never seen.

Hydro..you have a flat rail to put the optic on so you have to have a mount that has the angle built in like the DTA, the Nightforce unimount, the LaRue LT107 for the 50bmg or the Barrett ExRings. Those are 4 choices right there. The DTA mount is rock solid. OH wait.. you have a 34mm scope tube..that limits you to the DTA and the LaRue then.

I have SRS with the 40 moa mount and it is ROCK SOILD!. I would not go with a lower moa and the reason being is that the S&B 5-25x56 was built around being used on the AI mount which is 45 moa. At least that is how I have been lead to understand it.

Thanks,
L.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro..you have a flat rail to put the optic on so you have to have a mount that has the angle built in like the DTA, the Nightforce unimount, the LaRue LT107 for the 50bmg or the Barrett ExRings. Those are 4 choices right there. The DTA mount is rock solid. OH wait.. you have a 34mm scope tube..that limits you to the DTA and the LaRue then. </div></div>

4570- I understand the mechanics of what I have to do.

My question is more about 40MOA of cant. I am wondering if there are any inherent drawbacks to using more than a 20. I am no expert in this matter, but the only potential negative I can see would be difficulty zeroing at 100 yards. If there is no drawback, I see no reason not to do it.

Just wanting to learn the pros and cons of the matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have SRS with the 40 moa mount and it is ROCK SOILD!. I would not go with a lower moa and the reason being is that the S&B 5-25x56 was built around being used on the AI mount which is 45 moa. At least that is how I have been lead to understand it.

Thanks,
L. </div></div>

Fair enough. I guess there really is nothing to consider then. I will just go with the 40MOA mount.

Hydro..I have a 20 on my tan one since as you know getting out past 1k in Missouri takes an act of God or a gracious farmer. You will have no problem with centering it. The PR 3-15 I had on mine was easy to zero.