• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tactical Arms Day--More Indepth Review

Louis Corkern

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2005
AR, USA
www.thorgdg.com
Good Day Everyone,

Just figured I would share a few pictures of todays' outing with the DTA rifles.

Below Picture shows SRS rifle system with various accessories in the custom foam cut hard case
IMG_8359.jpg

Side by Side pic of SRS in .308 and 338LM with 375/408 and "normal" .308 rifle.
11-116.jpg

Frontal view of above mentioned rifles.
11-115.jpg

Dust cloud from the 22" barreled SRS.
11-114.jpg

Dust cloud from the 22" barreled SRS showing shooters profile/position on the rifle.
11-113.jpg

Same as above pic just different angle.
11-112.jpg

Shooters position on the SRS
11-111.jpg

And last but not least....Was nice to finally meet you (RussW1911)!! Hope you enjoyed shooting the rifles. LOL I also got pulled over by State Patrol for my windows being too dark haha..then we were on side of interstate with rifles out going over things with them
smile.gif

Thanks

Re: Desert Tactical Arms Day

Great times!

yeah, the GAP only got 2 rounds fired through it.

These DTA rifles are hammers. I was sceptical all the way up until I was hitting at 1400 and 1740.

Anyone need a GAP?

Thanks again for the tour and the shooting. I need one now.

cool cool how much doe jest the rifle its self run. id like to get one of those.

Scott

Scott, if you go to the Desert Tactical webpage, open the ordering tab, you will be able to see the whole breakdown.

It was a pleasure to meet you Russ, I'm glad you enjoyed coming out. I don't think you shot a group larger than 1/2 MOA the whole time, it was fun watching you hit that 18" rock at 1450 yards over and over again. I appreciate you letting me play with your Yankee Hills suppressor, that is a pretty neat can especially for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was a pleasure to meet you Russ, I'm glad you enjoyed coming out. I don't think you shot a group larger than 1/2 MOA the whole time, it was fun watching you hit that 18" rock at 1450 yards over and over again. I appreciate you letting me play with your Yankee Hills suppressor, that is a pretty neat can especially for the money.

</div></div>

It was 1440, don't give me too much credit, haha.

I appreciate the shooting as well. Heck of a sales tactic. I will need a 338 can when I get your weapon system.

This is exactly what I have been wanting to see. I can't wait to put some rounds down range with mine. Great pics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great Pics, but what did you think after spending some range time with it.</div></div>

Beenjammin: Please see my complete review linked in above reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poundcake8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is exactly what I have been wanting to see. I can't wait to put some rounds down range with mine. Great pics!</div></div>

PC: Let me know when you get back CONUS and lets work out shooting venture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really never cared for the looks of these guns but that review may of just swayed me.</div></div>

AB: Feel free to PM or shoot me an email with any specific questions you may have.

Update: Will be testing a few STW suppressors on the SRS very very soon.
Also will get pictures of shooting the rifle strong side but with weak hand as well as weak side/weak hand soon.

Thanks

Sounds good to me, I'll give you a ring once the jet lag wears off and I recover from the welcome home party. Looking forward to the weak side review.

Major fail on the case cutout. One good drop and the scope is toast. The case should have the scope topside under the handle to prevent damage and all the other stuff under the rifle.

Nice review Later, I know I asked you about working the bolt but the other question I thought of was how is the trigger on these guys? There must be a linkage in there with the bullpup design so for those that are really picky about trigger quality/feel how does it compare to a well tuned "normal" trigger?

Actually the foam in our cases is very good and supports the rifle very well, it is ultra high dense not like your typical pelican foam. We have shipped demo with UPS/fedex and general baggage handling many times over and never had any scope issues.
smile.gif

Thud,
I have travelled around the world with hard cases cut just like one pictured and have never had a problem. The way I look at it is that IF scope gets damaged from sort of drop while carrying the case with the handle then maybe new scope brand would be an order. Scope and Rifle damn sure better take way way more abuse out of case than I can ever give it while it is in the case, no matter how the foam was cut.

Todd,
The trigger was very surprising to say the least. When I first dryfired it I was assuming there was going to be a delay but it was NOT. The trigger is adjustable with an allen wrench from the bottom of the trigger guard. You can adjust the "travel" and the "weight". IIRC the weight can be adjusted from 1.5-6 pounds.

Thanks

Trigger takes a back seat to no trigger I have tried.

Literally, it is as good as any trigger out there. I have had most.

The SRS is a bargain. Period.

OK guys,

Well here is another update from range trip today.

I took a gentleman to range today that has never shot a rifle before. He did not even know the difference in bolt action and full auto AK (which is used where he comes from).

I took my SRS with 338LM setup and shot at 100yd then I let him shoot a few rounds of the 338LM to get a feel for the system. I then put him on the 200yd metal target. Showed him how to read my data card on side of rifle and how to turn the knobs in correct direction to match the card. He dialed the 200yd data and first round hit. He then dialed 300yd data and first round hit. He then dialed 400yd data and first round hit. He then dialed to 600yd data and first round hit. He then dialed 800yd data but missed the square flag shaped target.

I then took and converted the rifle to the 308 and I shot single round at 100yd to confirm zero for him. He repeated with the 308 exactly as he did above with 338LM. To say this guy was smiling big is an understatement!!!

So I finally got my rifle back and I shot 100yd group with 338LM then changed to 308 and shot another 100yd group (my impact difference at 100yd is half inch). I then put 338LM barrel back on and bullet went right back into original 338LM group. Done same with 308.

I was able to shoot 400yards sitting with "sling". I will do offhand next trip (for my build and holding method I have 1 too many spacers on the stock right now to allow me to get proper eye relief and correct cheek weld).

I also shot left handed and bullets went right back into caliber specific groups. All it takes is lifting your cheek off the stock about 2-3 inches upward/rearward as you cycle the bolt and as the bolt is closing you come right back down to your cheekweld.

Thanks

Another good time shooting LC. Thanks again for the invite.

That was a nice range. Especially for the location, you wouldn't guess there would be an 800 yard steel there.

That Mulie buck at 1140 was tempting, LOL

Good stuff and great review!!

Adam, don't get me wrong, I don't work for DTA, but I might be able to answer that.

Right now they only offer the rifles from the factory in .243, 308, 300 WM, and 338 lapua.

When I talked to the owner, he told me that there was a local smith that could chamber any caliber you want. The name of the company escapes me now, but would be easy to get again.

Also, I have heard that that one of the known smiths on the site can do it as well. Thats unconfirmed.

I concur on the DTAC. It's an awesome set up, I got to spend a little time behind one about 6 weeks ago and loved it. I was never a fan of bull pups until I met this one. Having a 338 in that little package really does a lot for your mobility. I have heard they are working on a second version. I have also heard it's not hard to get them set up in whatever caliber you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Showed him how to read my data card on side of rifle and how to turn the knobs in correct direction to match the card.</div></div>

Funny how well that pesky 'math' thing works isn't it Brother!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I finally got my rifle back and I shot 100yd group with 338LM then changed to 308 and shot another 100yd group (my impact difference at 100yd is half inch). I then put 338LM barrel back on and bullet went right back into original 338LM group. Done same with 308.</div></div>

THAT is really quite impressive.

Thanks for the update man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did that GG&G bipod work out for you?</div></div>

I actually do NOT like that bipod normally but on the SRS I am preferring it over the "normal" Harris due to I can run that bipod forward and rearward on the bottom rail of the SRS without taking the bipod off the rifle., this allows me to use it as an intermediate height adjusting tool..

JLM: Yea learning that math from shoutbox instructor has helped me out alot with understanding data cards
smile.gif