• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tactical SRS Range Report

Ratbert

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
Concord, NC
Took my new SRS out to hogtooth's shooter/spotter class this weekend and, while the weather sucked, the SRS shot superbly. 10-12mph winds (not gusts), 40* and dropping temps, and rain combined with the sandy soil into a lovely slurry that coated everything. Ammo, rifles, chambers, scopes; everything. Despite this my 5-shot zero confirmation group (including clean cold-bore), apart from a 0.1Mrad adjustment half way through, could have been covered by a nickel and, thanks to some good wind calls by my spotter, I cleaned the UKD course. Even as magazines got gritty I still didn't have a single problem with feeding and extraction was never a problem (fortunately I did not take a hot load, a couple guys were blowing primers because of the moisture on everything). I did have issues with rounds not wanting to eject, and about halfway through the course this had risen to 100%. The bolt simply extracted the round, popped it off the extractor but made no real attempt at all to eject the case. Since I knew it was going to happen it was no big deal to just flick it out with the tip of my finger (especially since the bolt handle is so close to the bolt head on these) but it was certainly annoying. It must have been the grit and moisture because back at the house tonight I fed some through it and the problem was gone. These never have ejected cases with much enthusiasm, though, and I'd certainly recommend DTA look into what can be done to make the ejector a little more upbeat. It should be noted, however, that a surgeon action was also having ejection problems in this mess.

Cleanup was a breeze, when I got back to the hotel I just turned 4 bolts, pulled the bolt and barrel, closed the lens caps, and took the rest into the shower with me. A quick rinse and she was as good as new. If anything, after feeding all day long with sand covering the bolt, it cycles even smoother than before the class. A great way to break it in, I guess.

The rifle carries great with a 2 point sling. Tight across the chest or behind the back works well, but with the even balance it also carries just wonderfully over just 1 shoulder. The rifle tucks in flush against you and doesn't attempt to shift or swing the way a less balanced traditional rifle does. It feels very secure. Sling and barricade positions are quite satisfying, not having all that torque hanging out there 10 extra inches really makes it much easier to control.

After my little tune-up on the trigger and welding the mags together I'm really really happy with this rifle. It's a fantastic tool for the practical rifle game, an opinion shared by many who fondled it this weekend. It may lack some of the pure artistry of a GAP tuned Surgeon, but it delivers where it counts. I'm really looking forward to getting the barrel re-threaded (it comes threaded 3/4" for a 338 suppressor) so I can try this out with my SAS.

The rain kept the camera in the truck most of the time, but here are a couple picks I took during a very brief reprieve. Click on the photo for the full-size pic.

Re: Desert Tactical SRS Range Report

Very nice, I'd like to get some time behind one of these.

Damn Ratbert I need to come out your way and check that thing out.

What a badass gun.

I've wanted one since I first saw them but they are still a way off for me.$$$$$$

Someday.....

Ratbert, Excellent review and great to see a field rifle getting "used"!

Unfortunately I think that rifle would scare the shit out of our Aussie customs officials so I'll have to live vicariously!

Thanks and enjoy!

Rath

I can't wait to get mine and shoot it. Unfortunately it is going to be long time before I will get to shoot it. My wife will be able to fondle it way before I will be able to.

Dame that a pretty!, How did you like the optic:Ratbert? how does it compare to Leupold or NightForce?(Better? or Way Better?)????

Sing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice, I'd like to get some time behind one of these.</div></div>

If you're ever gonna be in the neighborhood send me a PM, Dog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macman2564</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Ratbert I need to come out your way and check that thing out.
</div></div>

Maybe we can arrange a time with Boyette to have some fun once the weather gets a little more pleasant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunboy2006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dame that a pretty!, How did you like the optic:Ratbert? how does it compare to Leupold or NightForce?(Better? or Way Better?)????

Sing</div></div>

How does a Boxter compare to a Twin Turbo? They're both good cars, but only one is a GREAT car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert[/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macman2564</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Ratbert I need to come out your way and check that thing out.
</div></div>

Maybe we can arrange a time with Boyette to have some fun once the weather gets a little more pleasant.
</div></div>

HELL YEAH!!!
laugh.gif

Couldn't say no to that if I tried.

I wonder if they will offer a little longer barrel for the .308? I would like the ability to use a surefire suppressor and UNS.

Spec
They have barrel extensions similar to AR. They can sell you an extension and you send it and your bolt to a smith to build you anything you want. I think the extensions are about $400.

Picked up the barrel from having it rethreaded to support my 5/8x24 SAS 7.62 can today. Unfortunately it's raining and 35* so I'm not going to go out and take pictures with it until next week.

That is very cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
when I got back to the hotel I just turned 4 bolts, pulled the bolt and barrel, closed the lens caps, and took the rest into the shower with me.
</div></div>
-now that's a sure sign of a simple quality piece of kit (both rifle and scope)!!

Trigger on mine is as good as my GAP in my opinion. Pull a tad longer but DTA has solved the trigger linkage problem on bullpups.

Let me know what you guys want to do and we can make it happen.

John

Not only would i like to see a longer 308 barrel but what about throwing a 260 Rem into the mix? I've got a 243 Win SRS on order now but would have gone the 260 Rem route had it been available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did the Atlas perform for you in those conditions? Look forward to seeing it with the SAS! Looks sharp!</div></div>

The thing I found interesting is that it's actually the exact same length with the SAS can as my Rem 700 A3 w/ 22" barrel WITHOUT the can. It looks really sharp with the can. The Atlas worked great, no change in performance despite having the wet sand all over. Thought about breaking out the cleats or skis, but it really didn't need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not only would i like to see a longer 308 barrel but what about throwing a 260 Rem into the mix? I've got a 243 Win SRS on order now but would have gone the 260 Rem route had it been available.</div></div>

I, for one, am planning on having George or Jered build me a 6.5x55 Swede setup for this. It will take a bit of doing but this action is just begging for something that can take advantage of it's adjustable length (There is a replaceable buffer at the back that turns the long action bolt stroke into a short action stroke).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trigger on mine is as good as my GAP in my opinion. Pull a tad longer but DTA has solved the trigger linkage problem on bullpups.</div></div>

I wouldn't go THAT far, this kind of setup is always going to have a little bit of creep in it just because of the way it's designed with the transfer bar. It's never going to break as crisply as a jewell. For pure, visceral, glass-rod type sexiness a GAP or similar is going to beat it every time. However with a bit of polishing and fitting I've got the creep minimized and it pulls very smoothly. Once I got used to the somewhat unique feeling of the pull I was able to shoot it every bit as well as I shoot a jewell or Rifle basix (which is nothing to brag about, but my point is that it isn't a limiting factor.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me know what you guys want to do and we can make it happen.
</div></div>

I'm thinking June timeframe, maybe? I'm pretty much booked until then.

Ratbert...I will just agree to disagree with you. I know you had issues with your trgger. Mine is just fine as it came out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ratbert...I will just agree to disagree with you. I know you had issues with your trgger. Mine is just fine as it came out of the box. </div></div>

The important thing, I think, is that we're both happy.

Ratbert, that is a wicked cool piece of hardware! I'd sure like to have some photos for our website, are you willing to share the love?

Oh yeah, sorry Kasey, I did actually take a couple of shots with you specifically in mind and then I just never got around to sending you a pointer. I'll PM you where you can go grab these shots and you're welcome to use them. It actually looks a lot better with the SAS can on it, I'm going to try and get some pics of that for you as well. No way in hell I'm going intentionally try and reproduce the above conditions though. That sucked.

Got them!

"No way in hell I'm going intentionally try and reproduce the above conditions though. That sucked."

You mean those are not "stagecraft" photos??? LOL

Thanks a ton, will get them up ASAP. We are a little weak on the Atlas photos from the field, but you will be in good company... link

stagecraft? No... that was where I set the rifle while I ran to get my camera when I noticed that it stopped raining for 2 mins.

Certainly that weekend wasn't the worst conditions a person has ever had to endure, but it still felt fairly perverse when I entered the hotel bill into Quicken as "Travel:Vacation"

Rgr that, on the pics, just having some fun!

Yes, we do question what constitutes a vacation from time to time when mother nature participates, but most of the time, it beats a day in the office.

Not a great day for taking beauty shots out at the range, but here's a couple of my 308's hooking up in the bedroom...

_MG_0543.JPG

_MG_0540.JPG

_MG_0550.JPG

Both rifles are sporting 22" barrels. With the forced perspective it's hard to tell in the pic but they're pretty much the exact same length. The Rem700 weighs about 3lb less than the SRS (MTU vs varmit barrel, Heritage vs Falcon scope) but the balance is so good on the SRS that I'd really prefer to shoot with a sling on it. Equipped with a varmit taper barrel and a falcon, the SRS would easily be lighter than the Rem 700.

Nice pics Ratbert. It's interesting to see the grip comparison between the SRS and the A3. On the side profile, they almost look identical in angle and grip to trigger length. Can you verify this to be the case?

I'm hoping this is the case as it will improve the learning curve of switching between the two platforms.

The angle is pretty close. I like that I can wrap my hand AROUND the pistol grip vs the A3. It is fairly big, though. It really fills my hand more than a MIAD or the like. I have hopes that long term they'll come out with user replaceable front/back panels for the grips or even just the ability to use an AR grip. But it works fine for now. The trigger length is adjustable on the SRS, it's a bit longer than the A3 at the moment, but that's because I pushed it forward quite a bit to fit my own hand.

For me the trigger feels pretty different than my Rem 700. It took a little getting used to and while it doesn't currently feel like it has the sex appeal that my crisp little Rifle Basix does in the 700, I think I may actually put a better pull on the trigger when breaking the shot with the SRS trigger.

Nice rifle...was alwas curious about these.

there was never a problem wtih gunk falling in (like rain, mud etc..) on the rear of the bolt channel?

Are they as accurate as any other custom build gun like GAP, patriot,etc...?

What is the wait time on em?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
there was never a problem wtih gunk falling in (like rain, mud etc..) on the rear of the bolt channel?
</div></div>

None at all. I imagine that if I shoved a marble down in there then it could cause a problem but sand/mud/etc didn't phase it in the least. If something large did get down in there it would be relatively easy to clear, just pop the rear of the buttstock off, slide the bolt in and out a couple times to push the gunk out, then pop it back on. Take maybe 45 seconds in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are they as accurate as any other custom build gun like GAP, patriot,etc...?
</div></div>

Absolutely. The barrel is a free-floating Kreiger. Same fare that you'd have on a GAP or APA.

What is the wait time on em?</div></div>

No idea these days. I waited about a year since they announced them at SHOT last year to get one of the first off the factory floor, but now that it's in production it shouldn't be too bad going forward.

Interesting. I just placed an order late last week and they were taking deposits for May deliveries...... I guess we'll see.

Guys,
Our next production run is due to start shipping in April, the following is July.

Shot about 40 rds with the suppressor today when I went to zero the 22 for John's match this weekend. Not much to say except, Wow, this gun was built to be suppressed. I love this rifle.

Great to see you got the can on and it works well for you. It certaily looks awesome. So did the POI change much with the suppressor? I assume you shot at 100 yds. Nice day for the range. Did you get any funny looks with the quiet running SRS at the range?
wink.gif

POI shifted down about 2.2Mil and left about 0.2Mil. Took me 2 shots to find it because it was off the page and on the (well used) cardboard. But dialed the adjustment and it stacked the next 8 on top of each other. Shot some @ 200 too, there was a pretty good switchback wind that kept gusting up and falling off so I had about an inch and a half of horizontal stringing, but vertically the 5 shots were within a half inch of each other.

I got a couple looks on the SRS, but there wasn't really anyone there with any perspective to know what he was looking at. The old coot next to me shooting his brake'd 45-70 that reverberated up and down the line didn't say a thing about it. I did point out to the guy trying to sight in his Howa in one of those KNoxx Axiom stocks that if he wanted his POI to come up the 3-4 MOA it needed to be at POA @ 200yds then 1) Yes, he was going to have to spin a LOT of those 1/8th clicks (he wanted to try 4, talked him into 16, he balked @ 24-30), and 2) he should probably consider spinning the elevation turret, rather than the windage.

Interesting the 2.2 Mil POI shift down. Not sure I expected that much. Interesting to see some fps #s one day. I know that SRS is spot on when dialed in. I guess some new suppressed dope is in order to go the distance. I totally understand the wind switch back at that range at the 200 yd distance. Not as bad at 100 yd. Yesterday was a gusty day. I can't wait to get my Surefire suppressor and shoot with you there.

Boy you are a lucky one at that range to run into the truly dysfunctional. That guy trying to change vertical POI with windage is a good one!
shocked.gif

Hammered the 585yd 10x17 IPSC from a sitting barricade position in Boyette's tower today. 5 for 5, including one right between the eyes (lucky shot, I think the suppressor is speeding things up more than anticipated, need to run some loads over the chrono again as all my DOPE from pre-suppressor was a touch high; even at these ranges) The clank of the hit was just about as loud as the report/sonic crack of the shot with the SAS on. (Yes, I know in the pic I'm wearing Sordin's. They came off later on.)

Also had 3 light-strikes on the primers. Not sure if it was the guns fault or if it's an issue with the Wolf Magnum primers. I've run through about 300 of the Wolfs through and never had this problem ( or with ANY primer,) and then 3 times over the course of 40 rounds.

_MG_0586.JPG

Ratbert makes the tower look easy in that pic
smile.gif

If you have never shot from a unstable moving tower, its a lot of fun.

John

Yeah, it shoot be noted that my 5 for 5 on the IPSC was only after John came over and let me prop my right elbow against his back for a decent bone support. I'm not sure he breathed for like 3 mins.

I'll have to double check, but I want to say 1:11

I know it's printed on the barrel. It's just been too many nights sleep and too many beers since I last took note.