• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert tech 37xc 33xc

odoylerules

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2017
I would like this thread to be about desert tech rifles chambered in 37xc and 33xc only.
I have a SRS A-1. I am excited to have the opportunity to shoot a 375 cartridge, and the 37xc allows me to do it without jumping up to the HTI platform. I would love to hear from anyone that has done these combos or has been intimately involved or solid knowledge with someone else’s build.
I am planning to order a Schneider barrel as per David Tubb’s recommendation. I plan to shoot solids, so I would love to hear thoughts on which bullet you guys like. I also would like to know what the maximum contour barrel I can run on my DT. This will be for extreme long range prone shooting so the bigger the better I say. Schneiders barrel are max of 33” long.

Looking for a good gunsmith.
I want a Schneider barrel chambered in 37xc for my desert tech. Plan to shoot solids, so I need a smith with the 37xc reamer with the .100 freebore.
Thanks for your help

You may have better luck posting this in the Gunsmithing section. There are plenty of shops that are worth looking into (in no particular order): Long Rifles Inc., Short Action Customs, TS Customs, etc...

Reactions: odoylerules
I just ran across this thread but maybe you're still here.....
I finished up my Schneider barrel for my SRS gen 1 about a month ago and have had a chance to shoot it a couple times. I started with the 1-8 twist P5 rifled blank and turned it with a long section straight at the 1.25" diameter that will allow it to be set back a number of times to help with throat erosion. The forward 15" of the 31" barrel has a slight taper to 1" diameter. The barrel weighs about 10 lb and is pretty solid which was the point. With my suppressor installed there aren't any problems with whipping.

I started with 250 gr Cutting Edge Lazers and Reloader 33 with the results pictured on the chrono. Not too bad but my plan was to use the 300gr Lazer or MTAC. All I could get at the time was the 250. In speaking with the Cutting Edge guy at the NRA show he suggested the 265gr might be a better choice than either the 250 or the 300. I did some more testing and managed to get the 265's up to 3400 which should be pretty ideal. Accuracy with both weights was good but not outstanding. Groups were right at an inch but both tests were at 100yds and not under ideal conditions. I can do better and I believe the rifle can as well. I'm heading out today I hope to nail down the load I'm taking out west in a few weeks to try my hand at 2000-3000 yds.

So far the rifle seems to handle the long heavy barrel and the cal just fine. Those who think the covert length handguard won't work with the long barrel are mistaken, it works fine with no tendency to tip or wobble. Love the monopod and I just swapped out my old 5.5-22 NXS for the 5-25 ATACR and I love it. With the new 70 MOA one piece mount a friend designed I've got 120 MOA of adjustment in the scope plus the hash marks in the reticle to use. I think you'll like the round in the DT and it is worth doing. Much better than shelling out another $6K for an HTI and 375 Cheytac gear.

Frank

Attachments

• 250gr Cutting edge RL33.jpg
    250gr Cutting edge RL33.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 182
  • SRS 33XC suppressed testing.jpg
    SRS 33XC suppressed testing.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 190
  • SRS 33XC.jpg
    SRS 33XC.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 194
Who did he point you towards?

I don't recall the name but I think he was out of Texas. I tried finding the post on Facebook but I couldn't find it. The main reason I wanted him to do a barrel is he had an oddball reamer, thinking it was a Norma improved reamer. I considered ordering a reamer but never did.

Ck out SAC, Mark i believe does DT barrels. He just finished a Defiance Proof barreled action for me in 338 AI. Best smith i ever hired!!!

I have built a 33XC on a desert tech and very happy with it. I should have the 37XC barrel ready next month for thr 400gr lazers and a 6.5creed for training. It did well in italy to 2200meters/2400yds so looking foreard to the 37XC next. We did quite some work on the load. Barrel life is short with the 33xc at 310rounds im probably past 52%of barrel life but it s a great cartridge. Full report here

Attachments

• 20220314_082357.jpg
    20220314_082357.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 57
I have built a 33XC on a desert tech and very happy with it. I should have the 37XC barrel ready next month for thr 400gr lazers and a 6.5creed for training. It did well in italy to 2200meters/2400yds so looking foreard to the 37XC next. We did quite some work on the load. Barrel life is short with the 33xc at 310rounds im probably past 52%of barrel life but it s a great cartridge. Full report here
Thanks for sharing your 33xc build. Can you mag feed the rounds or do you just single load?