• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert tech mdr

I am glad I didn't preorder but did want one a couple years ago...every time I check it is delivering 4 months ago. Now I will see when/if it ever comes but way down on my list.

I've seen end of May mentioned now in a few places. Apparently the 3 week delay because of the ejection chutes, if that's what it actually was, turned out to be more than 3 weeks.

I am a DT guy but the MDR is a total clusterf%^&. I am sure it will make it to market but its already 2 years late. I decided a year ago I would never buy one. Most ignorant marketing scheme I can imagine. Wouldn't it be novel if they had developed, proofed and made an inventory of the MDR and then hyped the shit out of it like they did starting in 2015?

I gave up on DT when they couldn't deliver on the promise of 10 round mags for the SRS. The time and energy I expended just trying to get what I paid for with them led me to walk away from their brand. I admire others who have more faith.

Noticed on the DT Facebook page that they are on their latest iteration of "a few weeks set back" to the release date due to blah, blah blah. They must have had half a dozen few week set backs to an eminent release over the last 6 months. Last time I was over there it was coming out by the end of March for sure. I expect it will be a real shit storm when it finally comes out in spaced out small batches and it is touted as "released" while the greatest percentage of pre-orders are still waiting for theirs. I'd bet money all the pre-orders are not filled by SHOT Show 2018. I wish them well but they deserve all the jaded attitude and subsequent disregard for the product that this 3 year release has garnered.

Last edited:
I've been interested in a lightweight 308 semi-auto for a while now and remained interested in the MDR despite the multiple delays -- when the final weight was released at 8.4lbs, I finally gave up. I was excited with the projected weight of 7lbs -- but it looks like she's coming in a bit chunky. With the advent of ultra-lite AR10 parts, you can now build your own 6.5/260/308 AR around 6lbs all-in.

When all is said and done with the MDR, you're looking at a 10lb scoped rifle.

Full auto wait here ...

DesertTechMDR.jpg

I've been following DT's bullshit "release dates." I lost count with the whole, "it'll be released early January 2017...it'll be released first week in April 2017...end of April 2017..." At this point, I don't even care when they come out. I'd love to buy one, but DT just pissed me off so bad with the stringing-along BS, that I figured to hell with them. I won't buy DT anything. I know many who feel the same way. Whether they stick to their guns or not may be a whole different story.

You want a lightweight semi auto? Check out 2A Armament here in Boise. They have a .308/6.5CM that weighs in at about 6.75lbs.

I was thinking or hoping this mdr was going to be released by now . I've enjoyed the srs . I'm staying on the pre ordered list even if it's next year ect.

Yeah, a lot of folks are probably in the same place, and/or of the same mindset as you are. I look forward to hearing reports from folks once these are released into the wild. Hopefully it turns out to be a real game changer. My personal experience with the company was less than stellar. I liked the SRS OK until I put my hands on an AI.

The greatly more consistent reliability, and general lack of finickiness, of the system (in my hands) was a difference maker in my mind. The magazines, in general, are hands down in favor of AI IMHO. Couple that with the royal run around I got trying to get my paid for in full 10 round mags and that was enough for me. I know there are plenty of stories that likely point the other direction, but you gotta roll with what you know...

As for the MDR, any curiosity I had about that system has been greatly tempered by my experiences with the company. If I were to ever think of getting one, it wouldn't be until they were on the street for quite some time with plenty of feedback given by real world users about performance, reliability, etc. Just my POV.

Anyhow, I hope you get yours soon and it exceeds all of your expectations. :)

Last edited:
I fondled one at TRIGGRCON this past weekend. The rep said it was a final production build. Felt compact and solid. I was worried the hanguard being made of polymer would flex but it didn't. Must be made of some sort of glass-polymer composite. Same material on the rest of it. Hard to explain but material felt like the gen1 PMag. Length of pull and overall feel worked for me. Only gripe I had was the trigger. It was a "Long" two-stage with no dicernable wall at the second stage. Reset was decent but not as good as either the Elftmann 3gun or Rise RA-535 AR triggers. I was told DT maybe working on single-stage trigger for it. If they can make the trigger pull like the SRS they'd have my money for sure. Otherwise, I think I'll wait a while.

I fondled one at TRIGGRCON this past weekend. The rep said it was a final production build. Felt compact and solid. I was worried the hanguard being made of polymer would flex but it didn't. Must be made of some sort of glass-polymer composite. Same material on the rest of it. Hard to explain but material felt like the gen1 PMag. Length of pull and overall feel worked for me. Only gripe I had was the trigger. It was a "Long" two-stage with no dicernable wall at the second stage. Reset was decent but not as good as either the Elftmann 3gun or Rise RA-535 AR triggers. I was told DT maybe working on single-stage trigger for it. If they can make the trigger pull like the SRS they'd have my money for sure. Otherwise, I think I'll wait a while.

Did you see it at the show or at the Range Day at Cascade? I didn't know about the Range Day and got skunked on shooting that day. I looked around on my drive through but didn't stop, if the MDR was there I may have stopped out of curiosity.

I first saw the MDR at SHOT 2015. I had a deposit on one for 6-8 months but wisely gave up. The fact they brought in "talent" from SIG to try and finish the project pretty much killed it for me.

I would be in line for one in the future but they need to have replacement parts available in mass quality.

Did you see it at the show or at the Range Day at Cascade? I didn't know about the Range Day and got skunked on shooting that day. I looked around on my drive through but didn't stop, if the MDR was there I may have stopped out of curiosity.

I first saw the MDR at SHOT 2015. I had a deposit on one for 6-8 months but wisely gave up. The fact they brought in "talent" from SIG to try and finish the project pretty much killed it for me.

Handled it at the show not the Range Day. Like I said, improve the trigger to SRS levels and I'll buy one. That is my only reservation.

Not to rain on the parade, but they have ONE, one that was hand delivered. They did mention they have tons on back-order though, so once the pre-orders are filled, then they may actually get some in.

Dave

Their unit is preproduction according to video they pushed to YT last night.

Their unit is preproduction according to video they pushed to YT last night.

And in the comment section of their YT video: "Desert Tech MDR at Oakland Tactical August 1, 2017", the gun they used to film the video they say they had to give back right after on 08/02. They aren't helping when they make it seem like they got the first of available for-sale MDR's in stock with more on the way.

Don't get me wrong, I've been looking at Tavors and I think this would be a one-up on a Tavor due to the additional caliber options, but they've really botched getting this thing out. I'd like to get one but not until I've at least handled one.

Dave