• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech MDR

PRDRIVER

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 18, 2005
    SLC, UT
    I just received my first few MDR rifles earlier this week. I plan on taking this one out tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo67543.jpg
      photo67543.jpg
      198.3 KB · Views: 221
    This can't be real. You probably came up the the story of earthquakes in Oklahoma too!

i really hope this is as good as it looks to be on paper though. A nice 308 bullpup would be just the ticket for suppressed nighttime hog blasting

Lucky! As usual we are all desperate for data, especially accuracy (5x5 or 3x10) and impressions at this point. Keep us posted!

Last edited:
    I got a few boxes through it yesterday, using DT ammo. I shot both suppressed and unsuppressed. Unsuppressed the rifle has some muzzle flip to it. It's a short, stubby .308 with most of the weight behind the pistol grip. The suppressor helped to tame things down.

I didn't have an mlock rail to mount a bipod, so I rested the rifle on on some wiebad bags and tried shooting for groups with the 16x ATACR Scope. I had some groups that were just barely sub 3/4" and others that were around 1.3". I'm used to shooting great precision rifle triggers. Longer, heavier trigger pulls like the MDR are going to take some getting used to for me. I'd like to try a few different types of ammo off a bipod to get a better idea on accuracy. Given the light profile barrel, and heavier trigger, the MDR is not going to be precision rifle like the DT SRS.

How heavy a trigger are we talking here?

Light profile barrel?

I remember when the MDR was going to have a great trigger, precision accuracy and light weight.

Reactions: Jeffd
    Honestly sub-1.5moa would be good enough for my needs out of a bullpup .308.

I would like to know how light of a barrel, and if one could get a little more girth for both consistency and recoil taming.

Honestly sub-1.5moa would be good enough for my needs out of a bullpup .308.

I would like to know how light of a barrel, and if one could get a little more girth for both consistency and recoil taming.

I'll get a picture of the barrel. More weight out front should help tame the muzzle flip. Throwing a suppressor on it helped with muzzle flip.

I remember when the MDR was going to have a great trigger, precision accuracy and light weight.

After playing with prototype guns, I am a little disappointed with the trigger. It's not a terrible trigger by any means, it's just longer and heavier than I was hoping for.

The rifle comes in at 8 lbs 2 oz. For a 16" .308 it's not that bad. That's right where the Scar 17 is. The MDR being a bull pup hides its weight very well. When shouldered it feels much lighter than it really is.

Last edited:
    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your test results whenever you learn the platform :).

16" barreled and suppressed MDR compared to a 10.5" suppressed SBR with its stock fully collapsed. This thing is ultra compact.

Attachments

• photo67893.jpg
      photo67893.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 187
    I've been following the MDR and saw it at Shot 2017 and Triggercon (actual production gun).
    My concerns:
    recoil (videos have made it look pretty bad)
    no way to check the chamber without removing the ejection port cover
    no way to clear a jam with removing the cover as well

have 2 on order but not sure I want either at this point.

Reactions: Windrunner 50
    Recoil is snappy. Adding the suppressor helped a ton with muzzle flip.

I would really like to see a push button, hinged quick access port cover, so one could quickly chamber check or have access to a clear a jam (which has not occurred with my rifle yet).

Thanks for posting that second video coldboremiracle

I had viewed your first video but hadn't seen the second. I think I want one now, that is as soon as they have a 18 or 20" barrel available for it.

Good to see the second video. Accuracy seems more acceptable in this video; would be nice to see it average under 3/4 MOA, but doesn't seem likely in the current configuration. Should hold accuracy through more extended strings of fire than the SCAR and not eat optics. Hopefully production can get through the preorders quickly so some will be on gunstore shelves before Christmas.

CBM, what were the issues you did experience... you said you had almost zero. Thanks and your videos are great, can't wait to get mine!

I was on the fence during preorder but I'm thinking about picking one up when they move through the preorders. I'd like a longer barrel than the 16 on my Scar maybe a 18 or 20 so it will be interesting to see what they release. I'm glad they are out in the wild and it seems like reviews are mostly positive.

Any others can give a report on thier rifles

I can't wait to see his actual accuracy testing. To me, it will simply come down to precision. Any word on if one can spin up an aftermarket barrel for it or if it would even be worth pursuing? I haven't looked too much into the barrel system.

Reactions: sav338lapua
    Have they made any mention to releasing the MDR-c version in 223? I'm more interested in that but I would like to have both one of these days.

Considering they announced even more delays for the .308 preorders, might have had the head engineer leave, and are having problems with the gas system (too gassy especially with suppressors), triggers (way too heavy), and mag release (dropping metal mags and extremely stiff) on the current .308 versions, I wouldn't expect to see the 5.56 versions let alone the "C" anytime in the next 6m-2years knowing DT.

Though with each successive report I've become less interested, I am still interested.

​​​​​​But gut tells me that DT might have bitten off more than they could chew with this one.....
    ​​​​​​

They cant even get my local gun shop pre-orders filled, only 10 filled out of 300. Yes i would love to buy one but thier are no replacement parts and no support from the company.

Last edited:
    Though with each successive report I've become less interested, I am still interested.

I'm kinda in the same boat. It seems like some relatively minor tweaks (such as a greater range of adjustability at the gas block) might get it where people want it to go... though the trigger is (I'm sure) not nearly so simple...

I'm kinda in the same boat. It seems like some relatively minor tweaks (such as a greater range of adjustability at the gas block) might get it where people want it to go... though the trigger is (I'm sure) not nearly so simple...

Yeah...there's probably not many of us who havent tweaked a gas system or 2....but those of us who have, have also learned a hard lesson about tweaking triggers (protip: put down the Dremel !!! That's not how that works!!!).....Let alone bullpup triggers....

Too me this is one of those things that makes me want to wait a couple years while watching how the MDR pans out "in all aspects". Semi's just need to be reliable/ that means not having to send it back because parts break, as well as general function. Accuracy to me is paramount and a good trigger is a big plus. I have two bullpups already, a Tavor 9mm/convertible to 223 and a PS90 5.7x28. What I'd like is a 6.5 Creed bullpup with the attributes I already mentioned to shoot long range with if I want, or I'll look elsewhere.

Too late now but DT should have concealed the MDR until just before release. The first thing that comes to my mind is that they are having a tuff time getting this to work right but I might be wrong too??? 2cnd thing is that money is short. Maybe a combo of both and a few other unseen hindrances.

It’s a disaster. The reason they are being so slow to ship, is that each rifle needs to be thoroughly tested by engineers. And after all, rifles that are still problematic are getting into consumers hands. Issues include malfunctions, stiff triggers and safeties, and a host of other problems.

They also lost a few employees and engineers as of late. The culture at dt seems toxic, which is no surprise considering how poorly they handled the delays. Instead of being candid about their issues, they would tease you with the next big announcement. This was going on for 3 years straight.

while I would still pick up their bolt rifles, I would really wait until their have the bugs figured before touching the mdr, and that may be never. The project seems to have been too ambitious for them.

I have an SRS and have been following the MDR since it was announced in 2014 if memory serves. I was hoping the MDR could save a tax stamp with 5.56 16" being shorter than most AR configurations at 10.5". Now I'm glad I went the Form 1 route two years back instead of waiting for the MDR.

The MDR is an innovative and ambitious project. The various iterations of the MDR have exposed some supplier weaknesses (quality and schedule particularly). Anyone remember ordering a custom bolt gun a couple years back only to have the build delayed months because the gunsmith couldn't get the requested barrel/bottom metal/trigger/etc. due to the item being backordered? I sure do.

Should DT have brought it to SHOT in 2014 mentioning delivery in 2015? Knowing what we know today- no, but hindsight is 20/20. DT probably honestly thought their design, supply, and production capabilities would be able to meet that schedule. Though I do feel sorry for all the pre-order and group buy people that have had their money tied up 2+yrs (or however long its been for them) not to have a rifle yet.

I'm still watching the progress on the MDR and would like one eventually once they provide the adjustable gas block they just mentioned along with refining the trigger. I just hope it doesn't turn into a quagmire money pit in the process. I love my SRS and am definitely rooting for DT on the MDR.

Despite the early issues with mine that forced me to send it back I'm not going to get rid of it. The new gas valve seems to have taken care of the issue with stuck cases. I figured out my own fix to metallic mags falling out.
    The trigger is my biggest legitimate gripe with it. It's lighter than a milspec ar trigger but I wouldn't call it better in any other way. I feel like we were misled about the trigger. I never even got to see any of the prototype guns. The keltec rfb has a crisper trigger. The issues are with the trigger pack and not the linkage so hopefully someone comes up with an upgrade.

The other thing is the handguard. I wish they would have left of the gas block picatiny rail and had a more solidly mounted aluminum handguard or tied the handguard rail into the receiver so that it would be suitable for sights and ir lasers. As it is now I wouldn't trust it past about 25yds because of the flex. They never did picture it with any form of sight on the handguard though so they didn't really deceive though.

I know I'm only one of maybe 100 that has one but that's my opinion so far.

I will say the other REALLY impressive thing the MDR was to offer was easy caliber swaps, and easy wildcatting. The only other platform that really offers this is the AR15, and it would have been great to have a .22-250 or .338 Federal bullpup. But even the most bog standard 5.56 swap is still likely years away, so that is kinda DOA as well.

I got a few boxes through it yesterday, using DT ammo. I shot both suppressed and unsuppressed. Unsuppressed the rifle has some muzzle flip to it. It's a short, stubby .308 with most of the weight behind the pistol grip. The suppressor helped to tame things down.

I didn't have an mlock rail to mount a bipod, so I rested the rifle on on some wiebad bags and tried shooting for groups with the 16x ATACR Scope. I had some groups that were just barely sub 3/4" and others that were around 1.3". I'm used to shooting great precision rifle triggers. Longer, heavier trigger pulls like the MDR are going to take some getting used to for me. I'd like to try a few different types of ammo off a bipod to get a better idea on accuracy. Given the light profile barrel, and heavier trigger, the MDR is not going to be precision rifle like the DT SRS.

Even more muzzle flip than a similar size and caliber SRS?

Its no worse than a 308 covert without a suppressor. Part of the reason the videos you've seen make it look so recoily, is because many of the people shooting it are unfamiliar with how to hold it back. It only takes a few magazines to figure it out.

I can shoot the SRS just fine. Once I went to the rifles only sling, the gun became very repeatable. I might order this MDR.

There is some movement on developing an improved trigger which sounds promising. You can read about it in the link below. I am still looking forward to receiving my MDR.

Hey guys, I just came across this thread and it's not too old so hope I'm not resurrecting too dead of a thread. I found a third party 6.5 creedmoor kit with variable barrel lengths (16-20) and normal/heavier weights at es tactical that is supposedly available soon or now. I also saw on another forum that shootingsight is working on a trigger kit for the MDR but release date is not available.

Bigbang, I didn't see a link in your post, is it different from shooting sight?

Thanks for the reviews guys, it's helpful to see the first hand impressions of what I'd be getting in to if I pulled the trigger on this.

Reactions: 1badbarrel
    I'll say it again, the mere fact that you have to drop another $1000 or so on a gun that is already $2500 just to get it to do what they claimed it would from the factory means DTA already fucked hard. I just hope things smooth out over time and it lives up to the potential of the design which is pretty solid.

I'm sure some of you already know this, but for those that don't - IWI (the maker of the Tavor) now has something very similar to the MDR and it's starting to become available. You're not going to be able to change out the barrels, and I'm not sure how its trigger compares to the MDR, but if it's anything like my Tavor SAR it will be 100% reliable, rugged and definitely combat accurate. And I think it's cheaper than the MDR. Just something to consider.

Hey guys, I just came across this thread and it's not too old so hope I'm not resurrecting too dead of a thread. I found a third party 6.5 creedmoor kit with variable barrel lengths (16-20) and normal/heavier weights at es tactical that is supposedly available soon or now. I also saw on another forum that shootingsight is working on a trigger kit for the MDR but release date is not available.

Bigbang, I didn't see a link in your post, is it different from shooting sight?

Thanks for the reviews guys, it's helpful to see the first hand impressions of what I'd be getting in to if I pulled the trigger on this.
    I’ve been waiting forever to get my mdr , but a few are out now and I think it’s cool that there’s already aftermarket options for the barrels like the srs. I think that’s a big plus. Thinking about ordering that 6.5 cm conversion . What barrel length should I go with?

I’ve been waiting forever to get my mdr , but a few are out now and I think it’s cool that there’s already aftermarket options for the barrels like the srs. I think that’s a big plus. Thinking about ordering that 6.5 cm conversion . What barrel length should I go with?
    The mdr I ordered almost two years ago is fde308win. Hopefully get it in hands soon.

Attachments

• 3BFB5252-1B57-4858-B816-E6673B375DA5.jpeg
      3BFB5252-1B57-4858-B816-E6673B375DA5.jpeg
      77.4 KB · Views: 72
    • 99FA83BE-FFD5-4C81-9E3E-6F4D7ECC23CC.jpeg
      99FA83BE-FFD5-4C81-9E3E-6F4D7ECC23CC.jpeg
      916.1 KB · Views: 81
    • 14795FA9-894B-42B3-9691-72A48D5FEF07.jpeg
      14795FA9-894B-42B3-9691-72A48D5FEF07.jpeg
      846.3 KB · Views: 75
    • 1632B7D5-4D30-4C36-BFCC-82BEA8FFE578.jpeg
      1632B7D5-4D30-4C36-BFCC-82BEA8FFE578.jpeg
      1,011.2 KB · Views: 81
    • 871D1A73-23F8-4C15-90DC-D719BF4770D3.jpeg
      871D1A73-23F8-4C15-90DC-D719BF4770D3.jpeg
      745.1 KB · Views: 90
    • 2F40CC90-C49E-42BB-8C5F-29062244DF03.jpeg
      2F40CC90-C49E-42BB-8C5F-29062244DF03.jpeg
      325.7 KB · Views: 76
    Reactions: 1badbarrel
    I have a couple questions for future and current MDR owners.

It comes in a cool little plastic case - but you have to tear it down each time, and there is no room for optics.

Do you plan on keeping it assembled once you get it?
    What case will you use that gives you room for a scope and accessories? The Pelican 1650 seems really nice but may be a bit too small.

and here are some tidbits for you perhaps...
    If you have a DTA suppressor already, in case you own other DTA products, you can buy the muzzle break from the 16" .308 to add to the end of the MDR but you will need to remove the flash hider - this is made easier if you buy or have an Advanced Armament flash hider removal tool

Advanced Armament Corporation Tool, Blackout Flash Hider - 64185, part # AAC-G5-AAC-64185

I bought mine from Optics Planet for ~ $35

You will also need a set of shims for an AR-10, as the shims that come with the DTA muzzle break / adapter are made for the larger SRS barrel.
    I purchased a PRIMARY WEAPONS - AR-308 .308 SHIM KIT from Brownells for ~$5, the large washer was a perfect match for me.

So now my DTA suppressor will also work on my MDR, but if you want to remove the (stock) hand guard you also need to remove the muzzle break. Not sure if the expanded handguard would help here.

I have been watching the NightForce 1-8x24 thread in the Optics area - hoping to hear what people say once their ATACR scopes start arriving. I am currently looking at a Minox as my front runner so far.

I have a couple questions for future and current MDR owners.

It comes in a cool little plastic case - but you have to tear it down each time, and there is no room for optics.

Do you plan on keeping it assembled once you get it?
    What case will you use that gives you room for a scope and accessories? The Pelican 1650 seems really nice but may be a bit too small.

I have been watching the NightForce 1-8x24 thread in the Optics area - hoping to hear what people say once their ATACR scopes start arriving. I am currently looking at a Minox as my front runner so far.

I'll be keeping mine assembled. That case it ships in will most likely get tossed in the attic.
    I'm probably going to find a decent soft case for it that will accommodate up to 20" barrels and transport it soft case in a hard case for range use and travel. I've been looking at the voodoo tactical 36" cases for the soft case.

I asked someone that saw the ATACR 1-8x24 at shotshow and was convinced enough to preorder one. I'll know if my gamble is a good one in a month or two...