• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech MDRx 308 and optics decisions

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words, I guess this is three thousand words ;)
    20210410_March_Shorty_1-10x24_DR-1_001.jpg

20210410_SAI_6_1-6x24_CX9001_RAF_001.jpg

20210410_Vortex_Razor_GenIII_1-10x24_EBR-9_BDC_001.jpg

Ignore the mount on the Gen III, just there to test eye relief/position

For those who may be curious, from top to bottom:
    • March Shorty 1-10x24
    • ATI SAI 6 1-6x24
    • Vortex Gen III 1-10x24

Looks great! Ultra 5? I’ve got a 223 MDRX SE. How does the 308 feel for kick vs an AR in .308?

Ultra 5, yes. I was concerned about the kick but having had several AR-10’s in 308, as well as 6.5 Ceeedmoor I am surprised at how mild the recoil is. The MDRx is a nice system and I like the FE a lot more than I thought I would.

I like the March.
    which reticle works best for your wants though?
    What suppressor are you running? Is that a YHM Resonator?

Suppressor is the TBAC Ultra 5, not as quiet as my buddies KAC but gets the job done and keeps the package compact.

I am not a huge fan of BDC reticles but I must say I am really liking the CX9001 on the SAI 6 and while this scope is limited to 6x at the top end the optics are superb. Gen III has the best sight picture as the edge of the scope (periphery of the tube) practically disappears and the illumination is nuclear bright, but this is the MOA BDC and Vortex cuts off the tree at 600 but with 308 I’d prefer 800 and so I wish I grabbed the mil version so this is going on the PX for that reason alone. The March is a whole different animal, dual focal plane reticle with daylight bright (for my eyes) illuminated dot, but no tree, but the turrets are so nice.

Need to spend more time with them both, love the rapid feature of the CX9001 but need to figure out if it will match ballistics of 308 with 168’s and/or 175’s, if so I think I have a winner, if not then the mil reticle will likely be the choice.