• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert tech rifle info

Deej

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
MO
I have not been around this rifle and to be honest the bullpup design does not appeal to me greatly. Having said that I am intrigued by the caliber conversion options they offer with a 223 option from from another source.
I'm looking for impressions and performance info. What are your experiences with it?

I was looking 4 years ago to get a multi barrel chassis system. I look at all that was available and it came down to the Desert Tech or Accuracy Int. I just couldn't get passed the bull pup stock with the huge shoulder rest. The rifle just didn't fit my eye. Having said that they are a VERY good weapon system. I ended up getting the PSR with 4 barrels. Form what I have seen at Shot Show over the last 3 years these are the best 2 on the market. Its a hard decision to make. Good luck!!

The thing that I dig about the bullpup design is that you get the benefit of a longer barrel while also having the maneuverability of a more conventional configuration with a short barrel. Additionally, the weight (which I admit isn't exactly low) is located further back (again, compared to conventional designs), making it feel lighter when you shoulder the weapon. I will say that in terms of maneuverability, conventionally configured rifles with folding stocks can be configured to be similar in length while moving, but obviously must be set up to full length in order to make an accurate shot.

The action of the DT isn't bad, but keep in mind that "not bad" isn't the same as "good". Overall, I like the design and implementation, but when it comes to overall shooting enjoyment, the best rifle that I have been behind to date is an AIAT.

Depends on your needs I guess. I bought a DTA a couple of years ago. I shoot 100% suppressed so a bullpup is very useful to me to keep from carrying around a long rifle.....they are heavy. In the end I don't own a custom bolt gun any more. Sold a 30/06, 2 .223's, .308 and a 300 Norma. Do it all with one system and one scope now and ended up buying another chassis in covert length. For me it's all I shoot and all I will ever need.

Reactions: culater
I got the SRS A1 in 308 about 3 weeks ago and also have the AI AT in 308. They both are very accurate rifles. I Love the AT and now I Love the DTA as well. The rifle is very accurate. With in the first 50 rounds I was able to get sub 1/4 and 1/2 groups. I find it very easy to shoot. I have notice that the bullpup platform seems to be more stable as the grip is forward of the chamber and seems to be less sensitive to input from the shooter. My just be me. If you can find someone with one see if you can shoot it for a short time.

Reactions: culater
I also have come very close to getting a DTA. Most all reviews give very positive remarks about it being accurate. And from where I stand this site has an accumulation of extremely knowledgeable subject matter experts. Having never been behind a DTA, I can only imagine that a different kind of muscle memory learning cure would be inevitable. That being said I'm a firm believer that the learning process should never stop. I still wrestle with getting one. One reason that keeps me rethinking this platform is it sure looks like it would handy and very maneuverable.

I kept putting off buying one for several years because I was worried I would like it. I now have the covert and the SRS. I could have saved a lot of money over the years if I would have bought the Desert Tech to begin with. I really like them and my other rifles don't get much use. The only complaint I have is while hunting I somehow managed to have the brass bounce off my hand and ruin a follow up shot two different times. It's very possible it was the way I ran the bolt but I don't know for sure what happened.

Wow lots of positive response. My biggest worry is I have some limitation in the movement in my right arm and looks like might have some issues with cycling it. Also looks like it would be slower with a follow up shot. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks for all the good information

I purchased a DT SRS A1 after deciding my 52" 300 Win Mag was too long. I had my reservations and knew I might be making a compromise with the trigger because I own some great 2 stage triggers (Anschutz, CG, Geiselle). One thing that constantly stood out to me as I poured through this entire thread and the scout thread was these rifles are very inherently accurate due to their long heavy barrel tennon. My DT 308 was the easiest rifle I've ever loaded for, and the node was huge. Additionally, the trigger can be tuned via Orkan's (Primal Rights) instructions to be a very crisp and light (but not too light) pull. I haven't measured mine but I'd guess it to be around 1 to 1.5 lbs. It may take a few iterations, but it's worth doing. The maneuverability is excellent, and no other rifle can be as short with a suppressor as the DT. It is a little heavy for humping around, but actually lighter than a lot of tactical rifles. The weight back design does allow it to settle very nice and steady and does feel lighter when shouldered. The action doesn't run like a slick custom (I have those too) per-se, but it has a very positive lock, and can be run plenty fast. For your reference the bolt basically sits right above my wrist, and cycles back about inline to my mid-cheek bone or corner of my eye. It is easy to run once you practice a bit. It is not friendly for weak side shooting, but you have to determine what kind of shooting you're doing (casual long range, competitor, hunting, etc) and then ask yourself how much that matters to you.

I took a chance on it, and I'm glad I did. I want to own accurate, and unique rifles, and the DT is both.

I purchased a DT SRS A1 after deciding my 52" 300 Win Mag was too long. I had my reservations and knew I might be making a compromise with the trigger because I own some great 2 stage triggers (Anschutz, CG, Geiselle). One thing that constantly stood out to me as I poured through this entire thread and the scout thread was these rifles are very inherently accurate due to their long heavy barrel tennon. My DT 308 was the easiest rifle I've ever loaded for, and the node was huge. Additionally, the trigger can be tuned via Orkan's (Primal Rights) instructions to be a very crisp and light (but not too light) pull. I haven't measured mine but I'd guess it to be around 1 to 1.5 lbs. It may take a few iterations, but it's worth doing. The maneuverability is excellent, and no other rifle can be as short with a suppressor as the DT. It is a little heavy for humping around, but actually lighter than a lot of tactical rifles. The weight back design does allow it to settle very nice and steady and does feel lighter when shouldered. The action doesn't run like a slick custom (I have those too) per-se, but it has a very positive lock, and can be run plenty fast. For your reference the bolt basically sits right above my wrist, and cycles back about inline to my mid-cheek bone or corner of my eye. It is easy to run once you practice a bit. It is not friendly for weak side shooting, but you have to determine what kind of shooting you're doing (casual long range, competitor, hunting, etc) and then ask yourself how much that matters to you.

I took a chance on it, and I'm glad I did. I want to own accurate, and unique rifles, and the DT is both.

Well seems like I might have to get behind one and see if I can run it. I have a couple FN and some full on custom rifles but just think the do all one rifle would be good to have. I work on the road so think the bullpup design would be easier to pack around but a folding stock brings it pretty close. I'll find some one around here that has one I can try or wait to see one at a match.

I just ordered a SRS-A1 chassis because of the sale on them, can’t afford the rest until I sell off a couple of things but was hoping I could get a couple of questions answered.

Can the A1 chassis use the A2 conversion kits? I googled up the different calibers and don’t see a 6mm, or 6BR. Has anyone tried the smaller calibers like the bench rest? I do have the reloading equipment for the 6.5CM but was interested in a very low recoil round with this chassis if it’s possible. I do have a couple of suppressors to reduce recoil, but after shooting a friends 6br I thought it made sense for such a small package.

Looks like I have a ton of reading in this thread.
Thanks

Just bought my A1 a few weeks ago, it very intuitive to shoot. I was going to rebarrel my HS takedown in 300mag but the price to that was only $600 difference to the A1. Plus getting new barrels is much cheaper this way. To rebarrel my HS was going to be $2900 and a 6 month wait ? .I wish DT was out 19yrs ago I've would have gone that route.

I just ordered a SRS-A1 chassis because of the sale on them, can’t afford the rest until I sell off a couple of things but was hoping I could get a couple of questions answered.

Can the A1 chassis use the A2 conversion kits? I googled up the different calibers and don’t see a 6mm, or 6BR. Has anyone tried the smaller calibers like the bench rest? I do have the reloading equipment for the 6.5CM but was interested in a very low recoil round with this chassis if it’s possible. I do have a couple of suppressors to reduce recoil, but after shooting a friends 6br I thought it made sense for such a small package.

Looks like I have a ton of reading in this thread.
Thanks
Yes you can use an A2 conversion on an A1.
There are many aftermarket barrel makers that can get you any caliber you want. The only problem might be feeding it from a mag. If you dont mind single feeding it, you can buy a cheap single shot sled.