• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech SRS-A1 6.5 Creedmoor - Group Sizes at 1,000 and 1,760 yards

SMTGWKD

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Thought I'd reach out to the forum to see if anyone can use their target software to determine the size of these groups for my records. This is the end result of load development for my DTA in 6.5 Creedmoor with H4350 and both 140 and 147 ELD Ms. The only target with a finite aiming point is the mile target. The other two at 1000 yards were 18" tall by 12" wide plates with no other markings. I tried to keep them clean for shooting multiple groups by shooting each group from low to high, but after my first 8 shots (3 147s and 5 140s) my buddy started shooting and everything went to crap with marks all over the place. :)

For reference, the measurement from the knuckle of my thumb to the first knuckle of my index finger is exactly 3.75" (I'm glad I stretched my hand out in each photo or I'd have no reference at all)

147 Grain at 1,000 Yards - first 3 shots of the day. Cold bore is upper right, second and third shots are lower left. (Sorry for the crappy photo quality - I had to snip it from a video file as I didn't take a static photo of this target) 147 Gr 1000 yards.GIF

140 Grain at 1,000 Yards - 5 shot group. The one that hit sideways was from my buddy shooting a Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor. He missed and hit low and WAY right and skipped the bullet into the middle of my group while shooting at another target. 140 5 shot.jpg

140 Grain at 1,760 Yards - 3 shot group. No wind - perfect conditions shooting almost due North. Took 2 shots to get on target, then shot two more for a group. 1st shot was upper right, second shot was lower right, third shot was left. My hand isn't extended the same on this one, so the reference is the inside diameter of the larger segmented circle which measures right at 4.25" 140 1 mile.jpg

Last edited:
impressive, how fast your pushing the 140 pills ?

impressive, how fast your pushing the 140 pills ?

140s are going 2825 fps with a 26" barrel. I'm only running the 147s at about 2736 for barrel life - BC makes up enough distance for good consistency with a decent accuracy node.

My reason for asking if someone has software to get an accurate measurement of these is that we kept shooting until the targets were indistinguishable from each other (i.e. completely grey).

I will say that I fired the 140s in a rapid string of 20 rounds on this 12" plate and hammered it every time. Really fun to see the second hit through the scope before you hear the first "diiing"!

I had a second and found an app online - not sure if it's the best or most accurate, but here's my first try...

DTA 6.5 140 ELD H4350.GIF

Here's the same thing for the mile group - I did it twice using different measurement references and it only changed the max spread ctc by .004. Pretty cool program! I need to bring a cheap ruler with me from now on though so I can hold it on the target when I snap a pic!

DTA 6.5 140 ELD H4350 (1760 yds).GIF

My 6.5 barrel is very good at extended distance on calmer days.....the 300WM barrel does better consistently but it ought to. I always just measure furthest outside edges and subtract bullet diameter for my group sizes. Those are really good groups at those ranges....especially the 1760 for a 6.5. Great shooting

I always just measure furthest outside edges and subtract bullet diameter for my group sizes. Those are really good groups at those ranges....especially the 1760 for a 6.5. Great shooting

Thanks for the kind words - it was a very calm day and great for testing loads. I also typically measure from outside edge to outside edge but I forgot to measure before leaving (and on steel there really isn't an outer edge like there is on paper) - hence my request for a computer software to help.

On a side note - it sounds like you are shooting a Desert Tech as well. How have you liked the 300 WM barrel? How is the felt recoil vs the 6.5?

But quite a bit of load development - you wouldn't believe the ES and SD if I told you lol.

Impressive ahooting indeed... what size groups do you usually make in paper at less distances? Say 100 yards or so, if you even shoot at such a close distance lol

The 300WM is a nice shooting caliber in the SRS. It's about perfect in terms of weight and ergonomics to shoot comfortably. My 300WM barrel is 26" and running 215 Bergers it is a solid round at extended range.

Impressive ahooting indeed... what size groups do you usually make in paper at less distances? Say 100 yards or so, if you even shoot at such a close distance lol

With the DT I've had true one hole groups with 143 ELD-X at 100 with RL17. The rifle really seems to love those more than the 140 or 143 projectiles; however, we rarely shot steel closer than 1000 so I've wanted the higher BC projectiles if at all possible.

I was actually pulling my hair out with load development for the 140s and 147s with H4350 as my groups were larger at 100 yards than with RL17. I decided to go away from RL17 when I found huge variations in velocity at different temperatures. I posted for help here and received some very insightful assistance while completing OCW testing. These targets are the confirmation of that testing at distance - interesting that some loads group better at distance than they do at 100...

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-6-5-creedmoor-ocw-test-with-140-147-gr-eld-m

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
The 300WM is a nice shooting caliber in the SRS. It's about perfect in terms of weight and ergonomics to shoot comfortably. My 300WM barrel is 26" and running 215 Bergers it is a solid round at extended range.

You wouldn't happen to be close to Utah would you? I've had shoulder surgery and habe appreciated mils recoil but see the need for a heavier caliber conversion as if like to begin hunting larger game. I'm really down to either the 300 WM or one of the 7mm variants. 7mm seems to recoil quite a bit less than the 300 on paper but it would honestly be nice to use the same projectiles in my blackout as I do in the 300

Nice! I recently got away from rl19 in my 30-06 for the same reason. Im now using imr4955 and will have to wait and see how it does in the winter.

Nice! I recently got away from rl19 in my 30-06 for the same reason. Im now using imr4955 and will have to wait and see how it does in the winter.

I've heard great things about RL16 as well for temp stability and velocity. That's what I was looking for when I stumbled on 8lbs of h4350

Everybody i know is using h4350 in their 6.5 creedmoor and everybody has great results with it. When i have mine built if i cant find h4350 i will be trying rl16.

You wouldn't happen to be close to Utah would you? I've had shoulder surgery and habe appreciated mils recoil but see the need for a heavier caliber conversion as if like to begin hunting larger game. I'm really down to either the 300 WM or one of the 7mm variants. 7mm seems to recoil quite a bit less than the 300 on paper but it would honestly be nice to use the same projectiles in my blackout as I do in the 300

Sorry...I'm in NC. If you shoot a can or a brake I think a 300WM is going to do well for you. If not I might lean toward 7mm of similiar case capacity and 180-195's with the shoulder issue.