• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech SRS Gen 1 Upgrades and Compatibility

thedarkknight

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2018
I bought a DTA SRS Gen 1 with an aftermarket 26” 6.5 creedmoor barrel. I was told it was compatible with Gen 1 and Gen 2 kits. How can I confirm before dropping a couple thousand on a kit that may not work? I’m interested in getting either DTAs 338 LM Kit or a Proof Research Carbon Fiber 338 LM barrel and kit. Which is more accurate? I like the idea of carbon fiber barrels for reduced weight or same weight longer barrel and Proof Research has a reputation for good barrels and accuracy. I also want to add a better butt pad and adjustable cheek riser like on the STS A1 but don’t want to buy another chassis. Are there any options for this? What is the best scope is I desire to take the 338 LM to it’s full potential? Don’t see a lot of DTA SRS Gen 1 stuff online, not ones that answer my questions anyways. Hopefully someone can give me some insight.

Last edited:
Gen 2 barrels work with Gen 1 chassis. When you insert the Gen 2 barrel, it references on the pin, but it can rotate a little since the pin is narrower than the notch on the Gen 2 barrel extension. What you need to do is get the bolt into the the barrel extension like you would when chambering a round. That aligns the barrel and the bolt together. Then you tighten the lock screws and you are good to go.

I can't help you with the other questions. Orkan of Primal Rights has a lot of history with the DTA, so perhaps you should check with him.

ILya

Reactions: thedarkknight
Gen 2 barrels work with Gen 1 chassis. When you insert the Gen 2 barrel, it references on the pin, but it can rotate a little since the pin is narrower than the notch on the Gen 2 barrel extension. What you need to do is get the bolt into the the barrel extension like you would when chambering a round. That aligns the barrel and the bolt together. Then you tighten the lock screws and you are good to go.

I can't help you with the other questions. Orkan of Primal Rights has a lot of history with the DTA, so perhaps you should check with him.

ILya
How do I get in touch with him to ask?

Buttpad you can do, but your out of luck on the cheek riser. AFAIK. But for what it’s worth I don’t use the riser on my DTA, my shooting buddy doesn’t use his either. The newer buttpadd is definitely nicer though.

Buttpad you can do, but your out of luck on the cheek riser. AFAIK. But for what it’s worth I don’t use the riser on my DTA, my shooting buddy doesn’t use his either. The newer buttpadd is definitely nicer though.
Where can you buy the buttpad?

Tangent Theta
Is that better than Steiner T5Xi 5-25X56 or Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56? These are two that I’m looking into at the moments and also the Vortex Golden Eagle HD 15-60X52 which is far less but has good magnification.

Last edited:
From my view, yes.

It is one of, if not, the best optic on the planet. It is also $4000+ optic.

Out of those two, Gen 2 hands down. Too much CA in the Steiner.

From my view, yes.

It is one of, if not, the best optic on the planet. It is also $4000+ optic.

Out of those two, Gen 2 hands down. Too much CA in the Steiner.
Well that’s quite a bit for the Best scope out. I guess my question should have been, what’s the best valued scope in the $1000-$2500 price range?

i think I’m set on a Vortex Razor Gen II for the scope. Tangent Theta seems nice but out of my current price range. What’s the best scope rings for hitting targets at 1000yards+? Do I need a mount that has additional MOA adjustments?

Read the entire dt thread 190pages I think , learn a ton of info and what the guy’s use. I run a tt525scope and a dt40moa Mount and I got my 30’’ 338lm from primal rights. Have fun , dt’s Srs kick butt.

Quick question. Someone is trying to sell me a desert tech with both 308 and 300 win mag kits as what appears to be two chassis. They sent me this picture, I have never seen a SRS without a cheek riser. Is this a early gun that didn’t have them?
2821C118-D580-4EB6-B63F-1E85CF00415C.jpeg

What you are looking at is one complete gun, extra pair of skins, and a extra handguard. If it doesn't have the cheek riser, it's just an SRS not an A1. Without being able to see the indexing pin, there's no way of knowing for sure whether it's a gen 1 or Gen 2.

What you are looking at is one complete gun, extra pair of skins, and a extra handguard. If it doesn't have the cheek riser, it's just an SRS not an A1. Without being able to see the indexing pin, there's no way of knowing for sure whether it's a gen 1 or Gen 2.

There is a second barrel and bolt as well. I assume the SRS is a predecessor to the A1? I can’t find any information on just SRS.

Last edited:
It is the predecessor. Only things that changed are cheek riser, flat safety, non quad rail, and butt pad. The mono pod was made standard around that point too.

Really like my Covert.....LH. I have the 308 16" and 338LM 18" setups. Trying to decide if the 300WM is worth having in an 18" setup. Probably have to burn 4350 or something quicker. It will be suppressed. Having the 300 would give me all three bolt faces. I went with a Sphur mount and Kahles 3-18. Awesome glass.