• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech TRASOL Official Thread

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    For those of you who don't know, I am crazy about extreme long range precision and I have been shooting beyond 2000 yards for 15 years and it has been a great journey. Before I started Desert Tech I could see that ballistics calculators really started to fall apart quickly beyond 1000 yards. In talking with real snipers who engage enemy targets at those distances, they have had to rely heavily on a quick follow-up shot, using the first shot to obtain accurate dope. It really bothered me that first round hit capability beyond 1000 yards was a rarity with available calculators. This irritation was like a sliver in my finger that I had to do something about. So, I went underground for the last three years testing and searching for the holy grail of ballistic computers. I was determined that I was going to do whatever it took to obtain my goals of predictable, first-round hits beyond 1000 yards. I have worked with a lot of great folks along the way. I got my hands on every ballistic calculator that I knew existed, talked to knowledgeable shooters around the world, and, unfortunately, even offended my peers with my stubborn mentality and honest discussions. I tested prediction capabilities over and over for months in differing locations and different environmental conditions. I can tell you what apps don't produce the same results every time you use them and which ones provide different results between their Android and Apple offerings. But I am not here to trash anyone else's work because I highly respect anyone who has invested the time, money, and effort to provide a ballistic calculator solution because it isn't cheap and it takes more work than most would realize.

In my search, I met Gustavo Ruiz the owner of Patagonia Ballistics and bought a copy of CB1. Later, when he released his new windows phone app I bought an extra phone just so I could use the app. Now, in my testing it was critical that all of the conditions were properly accounted for and the equipment was well-documented and accurate. The biggest issue we found was in evaluating rifle scopes. We found the majority of them had up to 1% error in their click values. The worst was 3% error. This included many $3K+ optics so don't think you can spend enough money to be safe. We also found some scopes had reticle movement when parallax was adjusted, discovered some had backlash issues, and some that even after the parallax was adjusted then the reticle moves several MOA when you moved your head around. Once we had all equipment quality confirmed and true scope values accounted for, then the testing began. We will be releasing a video series on scope testing to help users ensure the best predictions possible.

We found that Gustavo's engine provided predictive flight curves that matched Doppler radar data the closest and what was amazing is it did it with manufacture-published bullet data (G7 BC and actual muzzle velocities). We tweaked the best of the others to try to get their flight curves as close to Doppler radar data as possible but still weren't able to get as close as Gustavo's engine. I was ecstatic!!! For the first time ever I could obtain predictions that provided first round hits at distances up to 1500 yards and beyond.

I called Gustavo and reported my findings and he confidently said: "Yes, I knew that is what you would find." I asked him if he had plans to offer it on any other device than Windows phone and he declined. I asked if he would allow Desert Tech to build a calculator based on his engine for other platforms and he again declined and said come down here to Argentina and we will talk. "I want to get to know you and Desert Tech."

A few months later, I was in Patagonia Argentina with Gus completely off the grid, hunting red stags (free ranging of course) on an old farm that made me feel like I was living 100 years ago. We hunted half the day and talked ballistics from sun up to midnight every day for a week. By the end of the week, I had made a lifelong friend and Gustavo and I had made an arrangement that would bring TRASOL to life.

While in Argentina Gus mentioned that Frank Galli was also eager to get Gustavo’s engine onto other platforms and we were happy when Frank accepted our invitation to collaborate with us on TRASOL’s development. We continued to involve Gus in its development and together we were able to add even more precision and automation into the predictions during its development. Long-range shooting is highly technical which leaves a lot of room for making mistakes and overlooking something. To get the maximum prediction accuracy then you have to be extremely precise and ensure everything is set properly. As I used ballistic computers in the past then I found that if I had to jump back and forth between screens to ensure all of my target data and shooting conditions were inputted properly then I would likely miss something. So, we designed TRASOL so that all elements that need to be inputted for taking your shot are in one screen that does not scroll up or down. Now, all the data is 100% visible so it is easy to see what you need to account for and you can easily/quickly ensure "ALL" data has been accounted for.
    Our primary goal with TRASOL is predictive accuracy because it doesn't matter what bells and whistles an app has if you still miss your target. An old friend of mine used to tell me there is genius in simplicity. TRASOL’s user interface was designed to be intuitively easy to use and minimize the chances of user error.

We have a lot of things planned for TRASOL’s future. We are happy that today everyone can enjoy the phenomenal prediction capabilities and its simple user interface.

Gus is a great guy and super helpful. He has a relationship with some of us in Australia that goes back for 5 or 6 years of CB usage and feedback, and we are happy to call him a friend. As yet we still have unfulfilled hunting invitations to each others countries but I am sure one day it will come to pass. I have been using TRASOL for I think 6 months now and have been really pleased with the results. The design spec of a one screen input is absolutely fantastic and has been very well executed. Compared to many other systems this is quick and intuitive to use, and there are no unexplained wild data solutions given in my experience. Well worth the time and investment. My gripes with TRASOL are so minor they dont even warrant recording. Well done - its an easy to use an intuitive tool.

Reactions: SSGTHamlin
    Any news as regards powder temp correction? vv N570 may need it and I'm pretty excited about my new 375 CT load with it

Was there ever any word on the negative (-) density altitude from station input....?

All of my emails & PM's to Trasol have gone unanswered. I guess they are not really focused on this product.

Maybe they purged it for $10 to move on to other products.

I think that may be the case. Often companies bite off more than they can chew. Let the software guys build software, you build the rifles. I believe people think creating an app (building software) is easy. Short answer is,it is not easy.

I'm wondering why there's nothing displayed for remaining MV on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that there hasn't been any input from DTNick or anyone else from DT for over 3 months certainly suggests they are no longer involved.

It is weird that it's not being pushed like it was. Maybe there's a big focus in getting the much anticipated MDR out, with all the delays they had, it could be the main focus.

I would like to see a bullet library, I keep AB just for that reason

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

DE really seem to have put this on the back burner for time being. They've had a message on their web site stating they are actively working to resolve crashes on iPhones and that they will have an update shortly. However, message has been there a while now with no resolution or updates posted either there or here.

Hopefully, DT will once again start dedicating resources to getting this app back on track. Looks like it's a nice design!

They will definitely fix it. Hands down the best mobile phone ballistics app in existence.

I have to use this as a case-point though. People wonder why shooters invest in ancient PDA's running non-mainstream ballistics applications like FFS or ColdBore... everything aside; feature set, accuracy, ease of use - leaving only stability as a factor... here is your example!

It's not the developer's fault per-se, as it is iOS or Android that will randomly change something in an update leaving the developer to scramble to find a fix. Then again on the next update, the next - it's a perpetual "fight the updates" nightmare.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
    Just purchased, clean interface
    is there a how to, manual etc
    not figured out how to correct data based on actual dope used vs model prediction
    like i said just moments ago loaded so playing with, basic how to pointers anyone?

Just purchased, clean interface
    is there a how to, manual etc
    not figured out how to correct data based on actual dope used vs model prediction
    like i said just moments ago loaded so playing with, basic how to pointers anyone?
    You tube my man, there's videos there.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Reactions: Saracen7
    Here are few TRASOL VIDEOS

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vcdKU7W3Dsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f9pX7dIk-sM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hrsC8E7pwe0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love TRASOL. Switched over to it last spring and in my opinion it's definitely the best ballistics app for smart phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started out with the free calculators and they were ok, then moved to ballistic FTE, still good, but lacking and then I found TRASOL and it really worked well. I have access to a range to 1400 yards and this system really helped for first round hits. It hurt on the price a little at first but well worth it.

The Density Altitude feature is confusing......negative numbers

Any news from DT?
    Trasol aven't been updated since a while

Last update was early October 2016.

Following notice is currently published on the Desert Tech web site. Not clear to me if it refers to a future/pending update or is leftover from last update.

Recent iOS updates have led to TRASOL crashing on iPhones. We are actively working on an update to resolve the issue. Current workaround requires user going into main iOS settings and disabling location services for the TRASOL app. This will prevent TRASOL from crashing, but also prevents TRASOL from getting local weather services information and as a result limit its ability to automatically generate density altitude for your firing solution. Density altitude can still be manually entered. We are sorry for the inconvenience and will have an app update resolving the issue shortly.

I first saw this message about 3 months ago but it could have been posted earlier. Regardless, if Desert Tech. (or their subcontractor) is actively working on a fix, they probably would have had one by now. It would be a shame if they've actively stopped supporting the application because it is actually quite good and sports an excellent user interface!

I was considering this app, but have been waiting for news of updates before making a purchase.

It used to be $40 but was dropped to $10 a few months back to supposedly widen its user base and overall appeal... or perhaps milk it as best they could.

At $10, I would say it is reasonably priced and well worth taking a chance on it being supported in the future.

How does this compare to Shooter for speed/usability ?

For me it's about the same speed... It takes a bit longer sometimes to scroll through my list of firearms. I wish it had the option like shooter or AB to have one firearm, I have several loads for each gun, then you select what loads you want to use. I prefer that, other than that, it is deadly accurate.

Thanks. That's one of my favorite parts of shooter. Being able to kee track of multiple loads and zeros.

So does it seem that what there is in TRASOL is what we get? Or has anyone heard whispers of updates or further support?

Lowlight, are you working with the guy?...or just a contact person? Part of Desert Tech? :)

Sure wold be nice to see some updates to this program. Would be really nice to see them, finish the sync, I was manually keeping two devices in sync however, I lost a bunch of work. DT was pretty active on this thread previously however, we hav not heard from them in a while

they are focused on the MDR release, once the cash flows in from that they will be back on here I'm sure. or that's what I keep telling myself

I am just a bridge between DT and the community as well helped out early on, more of a beta tester than anything established.

In other words, other than hearing things first and believing the ColdBore Engine is better than most, I am along for the ride with you. When things change if they let me know I will tell you.

There has always been a road map, but like anything, it sometimes takes times to travel from point A to B, to C, etc.

What am I missing here: this is a screenshot from my iPhone 6Plus of the data entry screen. I can't figure how to make it readable.

Attachments

• photo57870.png
      photo57870.png
      102.4 KB · Views: 235
    Weird! Have you tried deleting and re-installing the application?

You might also check to see if you have a strange keyboard selected.

Weird! Have you tried deleting and re-installing the application?

You might also check to see if you have a strange keyboard selected.

That was it. The "auto size" function for text was set to max. Lowered the slider and everything looks perfect. Knew I was missing something on my end, thanks!

Would one of you guys please tell me what the "sync" function does? I've been using this app for a year or so, know how to use all the other features but this one. Thanks

Any idea if or when the websync will be finished? Seems like support for this product has fell off the planet. Last update was October, 2016. The DT folks used to be pretty responsive to this thread, what happened?

Downloaded the app and was a bit unsure at first, I didn't know all the info or my bullet speed so I guesstimated some of the info, filled in the rest with what I did know and went off to the range, now I'm no crack shot and only get my DTA out every now and again. first shot with no change to the elevation I thought why not a .308 should be rather flat but it was a miss, so at 200meters the app said up .6 mill so with that set I chambered a round first shot with the app, dead centre of the gong! 200m isn't far at all but I'm still getting my bearings with the gun but this app seemed to do its thing well. Shot after shot I was able to hit the gong so I set up the DTA as a 338lap, again first shot with no change to elevation was a miss, added what I do I did know I to TRASOL and the second shot again dead centre of the gong! Only the enegy of the shot ripped the gong clean off its rubber straps LOL. TRASOL seems to be near perfect so far. My only suggestion is preloaded DTA data for the rifles and a load section with preloaded data for projectiles but regardless I'm happy.

Reactions: Hawkwood
    Anybody know if they are planning to update the program to run on Android 7.1? The email address on Google Play Store ([email protected]) is not configured and doesn't accept email.

Anybody know if they are planning to update the program to run on Android 7.1? The email address on Google Play Store ([email protected]) is not configured and doesn't accept email.

Only "crickets" for the last eight months! Updates to this product appear to enjoy a very low level of priority.
    In my opinion, and that is all it is, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in updates to Android 7.1 or any other updates at all as none have been hinted as coming or promised from the developers.

Doesn't look like I can sync to iPhone 7 from 6 or am I missing something'?

Only "crickets" for the last eight months! Updates to this product appear to enjoy a very low level of priority.
    In my opinion, and that is all it is, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in updates to Android 7.1 or any other updates at all as none have been hinted as coming or promised from the developers.

I asked DT about the app roadmap (if any) and whether they are putting a stop to its development or not. They emphatically say No. They replied that development will resume any time soon as long as they find the right programmer. Just the concerns for my 2 cents.:cool:

I attempted to email them yesterday due to issue with my S8 and I got the email back almost immediately stating the server did not accept emails. I used the email address that is listed on the app for tech issues. Some email...... Sucks because I got a new phone I lost all my data because they do not support the latest version of android. Hope they fix it soon it worked well for me.

While I like the app, the lack of support is concerning. A public statement stating their status and intentions would go a long way towards instilling consumer confidence.

It cost me $10. It works well. Anything more is extra, my $0.02.