• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech WLVRN

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    For those interested in the WLVRN, I've put all my thoughts together here:

Desert Tech WLVRN

IMG_7841.jpg

THANK YOU for putting together this detailed review of the features, function, and capabilities of the new WLVRN (Wolverine) bullpup from Desert Tech! I seriously thought about getting an MDRX, but didn't because all the tweaking by DT kept making small incremental improvements to the platform, and I wanted to wait for that process to reach a climax.

BTW, are bigger versions of the awesome images accompanying this article available anywhere?

In typical Desert Tech fashion.
    My prediction:
    - Inspired design / Engineering
    - Spotty QC
    - Non existent CS

Thats a good question, I never shot this one wrong-handed so I'll have to try it again and see.
    Looking forward to hearing the results.

I got lucky and my MDRX has been great in both accuracy and function, so my choice to upgrade or not mostly comes down to "can it do the same job" and being able to weak-side the MDRX has been a big deal in the 2GACM matches I do

I seem to be having a tough time grasping the size of the WLVRN.

I have never handled one... how is the balance ?
    And no offense intended, but.. It "looks" a little chunky on the shoulder end ?

And along those lines.. ( chunky, for lack of a better word ) how does it shoulder with 30rd or 20rd ( 6.5CM ) mag ?

Any comments or thoughts along those lines, would be appreciated.

Could you possibly post a pic of it next to a 16"ish AR15 ?

How is the gas in the face when suppressed ?

And I am looking forward to your video.

Last edited:
    I seem to be having a tough time grasping the size of the WLVRN.

I have never handled one... how is the balance ?
    And no offense intended, but.. It "looks" a little chunky on the shoulder end ?

And along those lines.. ( chunky, for lack of a better word ) how does it shoulder with 30rd or 20rd ( 6.5CM ) mag ?

Any comments or thoughts along those lines, would be appreciated.

Could you possibly post a pic of it next to a 16"ish AR15 ?

How is the gas in the face when suppressed ?

And I am looking forward to your video.
    So, I can answer some of these as the form factor is very similar to the MDRX:

1) Balance is fantastic, most of the weight is to the back, so even though it might be on the heavier side at 7lbs and change (more with optic / blk-lbl bipod) it doesn't feel as heavy because of the more supported weight distribution that isn't out on the end of a lever

2) in my MDRX I regularly use the 25rd Magpul M118LR window mags, and have had zero feeding issues in 6.5CM or 308, and no difficulty shouldering even with a plate carrier. The only time it gets mildly awkward is if you're using a 50rd magpul drum for shits and giggles.

4) Gas in the face when suppressed I'd imagine is better in the WLVRN than the MDRX, the FE ejection system trapped a decent amount of gas with a regular high-backpressure can, but using a newer Ventum flow-through mitigated that considerably to be no worse than most ARs with a gas buster handle.

Posting some mdrx pics, wlvrn is the same general size and shape. Mine's a 20" barrel since MD won't let us have any fun with the 16" Barrel. AR above it is a 16" poverty pony build in 7.62x39 I did for fun long before I got the MDRX

IMG_4710.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg

Suppressor in the picture is the Dead Air Primal

Upgrades pictured: Blk-Lbl handguard and a Hoptic Saddle Blanket

Current round count on the pictured rifle is right around the ~4000 mark

Last edited:

1) Balance is fantastic, most of the weight is to the back, so even though it might be on the heavier side at 7lbs and change (more with optic / blk-lbl bipod) it doesn't feel as heavy because of the more supported weight distribution that isn't out on the end of a lever

2) in my MDRX I regularly use the 25rd Magpul M118LR window mags, and have had zero feeding issues in 6.5CM or 308, and no difficulty shouldering even with a plate carrier. The only time it gets mildly awkward is if you're using a 50rd magpul drum for shits and giggles.

4) Gas in the face when suppressed I'd imagine is better in the WLVRN than the MDRX, the FE ejection system trapped a decent amount of gas with a regular high-backpressure can, but using a newer Ventum flow-through mitigated that considerably to be no worse than most ARs with a gas buster handle.

Posting some mdrx pics, wlvrn is the same general size and shape. Mine's a 20" barrel since MD won't let us have any fun with the 16" Barrel. AR above it is a 16" poverty pony build in 7.62x39 I did for fun long before I got the MDRX

View attachment 8399326View attachment 8399327

Thank You very much.
    All of your comments / pics were helpful.

View attachment 8399326View attachment 8399327

Man you take some great pics.

Thank you for the write up and article; I’ve been wanting something different- and I’ve always liked my buddies MDRX . Couldn’t believe the trigger ; pretty damn nice for a bullpup .
    I’ve a big birthday coming up . And this might be the to me gift .

DT is local ro me. I own a machine shop and they are constantly sending prints for me to bid. I always no bid them as they have screwed every shop in a 100 mile radius that they've dealt with. They are a hard pass from me.

Don't they all function well?
    No. But I compare things to well tuned ARs. Most of the bullpups I have used are over gassed. Bad triggers, weird manual of arms, hard to clear malfunctions, hard to suppress, not enough front rail space, barely adequate accuracy. Most of those comments are aimed at the Tavor and Aug.

No. But I compare things to well tuned ARs. Most of the bullpups I have used are over gassed. Bad triggers, weird manual of arms, hard to clear malfunctions, hard to suppress, not enough front rail space, barely adequate accuracy. Most of those comments are aimed at the Tavor and Aug.
    Well..ok..here's my experience so far..based on your response.

I have a couple ars (both with single stage timney triggers) and most of the 223 and half of the 308 bullpups..In a world thay makes everything for Ars, it's kinda hard to bring that in the bullpup space. These are currently Niche guns..If 1 of these bullpups had thr amount of support the Ar platform has...well..let's just see how well Bullpup kit Ar15s do in the next 5 years..

Rail space...
    I think all will have a problem with front rail space..You gotta get picky with what your choose to go up there and where it's gonna be mounted..But doable.
    (The unfortunate advantage the Ar has is everything is made for it...)

Triggers-
    Most factory trigger bullpups pre 2014..Kinda suck (Aug, TavorSar,Vhs2,Fs2000,Ps90)..Ill agree there
    However the factory trigger on the Wlvrn is good (I like the Rdb trigger better).

Manual of arms.
    EH..if you like bullpups it just a training issue..The X95 and Desert Tech offering(s) have a push button mag release in the same location as an Ar..Some folks like that..
    The Rdb Defender amd Hellion have extendable stocks if that's your jam.

Hard to clear malfunctions...
    well...The Ambi ejecting bullpups do make that pretty hard (Rdb,Rfb,Fs2000,Forward Eject Mdrx)...Side ejecting bullpups do make that seem about as difficult as using an Ar.. But thats me.

Accuracy...
    Really depends on what you feed em...Ive seen 10 shot 1moa groups with an Aug using 69gr Ruag..
    My Rdb will do 1moa averaged between 2 (5) shot groups with 50gr Fiocchi vmax..
    I'm in the low 1.3s with the Tavor Sar...same round)
    I've got some phenomenal sub moa groups in the Wlvrn that I'll be testing 10 round groups with..Just to see what it can do..
    I guess I don't really do bulk m193, m855, or mk262.

Supressor hosts...Yea..the Aug and Tavor are probably the hardest for this category..But doable..Especially with a flow through can.
    The Vhs2/Hellion, Rdb and Wlvrn are great in this regaurd.
    All 3 of these feature an adjustable gas system or (in the case of the rdb) a 20 position tuneable one.

Reactions: ut755ln
    Well..ok..here's my experience so far..based on your response.

I have a couple ars (both with single stage timney triggers) and most of the 223 and half of the 308 bullpups..In a world thay makes everything for Ars, it's kinda hard to bring that in the bullpup space. These are currently Niche guns..If 1 of these bullpups had thr amount of support the Ar platform has...well..let's just see how well Bullpup kit Ar15s do in the next 5 years..

Rail space...
    I think all will have a problem with front rail space..You gotta get picky with what your choose to go up there and where it's gonna be mounted..But doable.
    (The unfortunate advantage the Ar has is everything is made for it...)

Triggers-
    Most factory trigger bullpups pre 2014..Kinda suck (Aug, TavorSar,Vhs2,Fs2000,Ps90)..Ill agree there
    However the factory trigger on the Wlvrn is good (I like the Rdb trigger better).

Manual of arms.
    EH..if you like bullpups it just a training issue..The X95 and Desert Tech offering(s) have a push button mag release in the same location as an Ar..Some folks like that..
    The Rdb Defender amd Hellion have extendable stocks if that's your jam.

Hard to clear malfunctions...
    well...The Ambi ejecting bullpups do make that pretty hard (Rdb,Rfb,Fs2000,Forward Eject Mdrx)...Side ejecting bullpups do make that seem about as difficult as using an Ar.. But thats me.

Accuracy...
    Really depends on what you feed em...Ive seen 10 shot 1moa groups with an Aug using 69gr Ruag..
    My Rdb will do 1moa averaged between 2 (5) shot groups with 50gr Fiocchi vmax..
    I'm in the low 1.3s with the Tavor Sar...same round)
    I've got some phenomenal sub moa groups in the Wlvrn that I'll be testing 10 round groups with..Just to see what it can do..
    I guess I don't really do bulk m193, m855, or mk262.

Supressor hosts...Yea..the Aug and Tavor are probably the hardest for this category..But doable..Especially with a flow through can.
    The Vhs2/Hellion, Rdb and Wlvrn are great in this regaurd.
    All 3 of these feature an adjustable gas system or (in the case of the rdb) a 20 position tuneable one.
    I don't know how to explain it. I am kind of rooting for a design to come along that addresses my complaints. I can't wait to get to shoot the WLVRN as it seems they have solved some of my complaints. I absolutely agree with you that comparing them to ARs is kind of unfair and that they certainly don't get the same level of aftermarket support.

Reactions: Odinforever2000
    I don't know how to explain it. I am kind of rooting for a design to come along that addresses my complaints. I can't wait to get to shoot the WLVRN as it seems they have solved some of my complaints. I absolutely agree with you that comparing them to ARs is kind of unfair and that they certainly don't get the same level of aftermarket support.
    the WLVRN is probably the closest there has ever been to a design that meets your requirements. Rail space is generally solved if you use the 20" barrel with the longer handguard (see my pictures upthread)

even the FE MDRX isn't terrible for clearing malfunctions if you drill it and get to know the platform. Many of the complaints regarding manual of arms are mostly because people are so familiar with the AR manual of arms but have forgotten how many hours of practice they have with it vs a design that is laid out differently. I think my current time to get the chute off and clear a bolt side-override (the worst possible malfunction) is about 20 seconds or less. considering that in an AR you have to separate the lower and the upper to clear a bolt override malfunction at all, I'd call that pretty good. most other malfunctions the drill is the same as the AR: rip the mag and cycle the action until free.

One thing worth noting is that bullpups reward good sling technique more than conventionally laid out rifles; if you can get a good tight triangle bracing going with a sling that pulls it into your shoulder, the stability will feel almost unreal compared to an AR or AK.

One thing worth noting is that bullpups reward good sling technique more than conventionally laid out rifles; if you can get a good tight triangle bracing going with a sling that pulls it into your shoulder, the stability will feel almost unreal compared to an AR or AK.
    I love this site. What you said actually makes complete sense to me. It just never occurred to me and now I can't wait to try it for myself.

Looks like the Mdrx had an operator error shot. The 4 round group is the same size as the Wlvrns 5 rounder.
    I don't think of any of the guys on that channel as marksman. One of the ranges in Houston is putting one in the rental fleet and I am going to shoot it to see how it feels. I have handled it and the weight difference with the gun is noticeable versus the previous generation.

I don't think of any of the guys on that channel as marksman. One of the ranges in Houston is putting one in the rental fleet and I am going to shoot it to see how it feels. I have handled it and the weight difference with the gun is noticeable versus the previous generation.
    I have all 3 guns. I'm not seeing it being better in 223 accuracy wide. Weight wise it's a significant change.