• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Designing a Compensator. Any Input?

BringMeTheHorizon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2011
Florida, USA
I stumbled across a website that will CNC parts for you as long as you provide the CAD file. So, out of curiosity more than anything I'm going to have them machine a compensator I drafted for my AR-15.

Heres the specs:

flashhiderpicture.jpg

flashhiderpictureview.jpg

Any input?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Designing a Compensator. Any Input?

Looks like a VIAS brake... Just to let you know... Any muzzle hider that has holes in it all the way around WILL kick up dirt and throw it EVERYWHERE.

I have a similar brake that came factory on my Remington MLR .338LM and I am moving away from it QUICKLY!!!

If you DONT mind that... then go for it...

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a VIAS brake... Just to let you know... Any muzzle hider that has holes in it all the way around WILL kick up dirt and throw it EVERYWHERE.

I have a similar brake that came factory on my Remington MLR .338LM and I am moving away from it QUICKLY!!!

If you DONT mind that... then go for it...

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.) </div></div>

Good point...

I'm going to remove the holes that would face downwards.

Thanks for the input.

why, i ask cause what do they charge? if it was ten bucks then I get it but if not there are a metric shit ton of compensators already made that work. If its about seeing something you created be made then thats cool but id come up with something other than a compensator, and one that looks like a copy of one that already exists, dont take offense just my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why, i ask cause what do they charge? if it was ten bucks then I get it but if not there are a metric shit ton of compensators already made that work. If its about seeing something you created be made then thats cool but id come up with something other than a compensator, and one that looks like a copy of one that already exists, dont take offense just my opinion</div></div>

No offense taken.

Mainly, I do just want to see something I created be made.

What would you suggest instead of a compensator?

a muzzle break that is 5 or so inches long that when screwed on a 11.5 inch upper it looks like a 16 inch barrel profile that has an A2 birdcage...........

Kidding!

I dont know maybe a badass bolt handle?

I too question the value of "reinventing the wheel" but it is your money and if you want to design and have your comp made...more power to you!! (BTW, I didn't see where you gave a price for the machining work on this project of yours...how much is this "service" costing you?).

A couple of observations:

1) you'll need more "meat" on the comp in terms of OD (or you'll need to move the forward-facing ports inward some) because as they are now...there does not appear to be much distance between the ports and the edge of the comp which could lead to strength issues and may allow you to more easily damage the comp if your rifle is dropped, beat around in the case, etc. Take a look at the front portion/forward facing ports of the Vais and Levang comps for a better idea of what I'm talking about.

2) the detail on your gas ports on the side of the comp are pretty fuzzy. Are you having them machined straight or at an angle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a fleshlight rail mount would be sweet</div></div>

It would make sex with your rifle a reality!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too question the value of "reinventing the wheel" but it is your money and if you want to design and have your comp made...more power to you!! (BTW, I didn't see where you gave a price for the machining work on this project of yours...how much is this "service" costing you?).

A couple of observations:

1) you'll need more "meat" on the comp in terms of OD (or you'll need to move the forward-facing ports inward some) because as they are now...there does not appear to be much distance between the ports and the edge of the comp which could lead to strength issues and may allow you to more easily damage the comp if your rifle is dropped, beat around in the case, etc. Take a look at the front portion/forward facing ports of the Vais and Levang comps for a better idea of what I'm talking about.

2) the detail on your gas ports on the side of the comp are pretty fuzzy. Are you having them machined straight or at an angle?</div></div>

"it is your money and if you want to design and have your comp made...more power to you!!"

You get what I'm going for!
I haven't received an official quote yet but I'm estimating around $75(Hopefully less...)

It probably would be a good idea to "beef" it up around the ports to ensure that it could take the abuse, but at the same time I'm trying not to overdue it, because I don't want a heavy piece of steel swinging at the end of my barrel.

The ports are going to be machined at an angle.

As usual a great site contributor, WANKER.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BringMeTheHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I haven't received an official quote yet but I'm estimating around $75(Hopefully less...)</div></div>

maybe, but i doubt you are going to get a one off part like that made from a machine shop for $75 or less. unless they are making it on a lathe with live tooling, that part is going to require two setups on a lathe and two on a mill.

You do it very well. I saw a picture of you a while and you even look like a wanker. Big fat fuck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do it very well. I saw a picture of you a while and you even look like a wanker. Big fat fuck.

</div></div>
If you dont have a decent legitamite reply to a decent mans legitimate question you'd be better off trying to learn from decent legitamate people that know what there talking about or else find some other source of arrogant entertainment from a site more suited to comics like yourself.
Not the first time we've had jokers here albeit longterm jokers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do it very well. I saw a picture of you a while and you even look like a wanker. Big fat fuck.

</div></div>
If you dont have a decent legitamite reply to a decent mans legitimate question you'd be better off trying to learn from decent legitamate people that know what there talking about or else find some other source of arrogant entertainment from a site more suited to comics like yourself.
Not the first time we've had jokers here albeit longterm jokers.</div></div>

Can't we all just get along?

please follow this through to the end with pics and range report. Will it be made of steel or titanium? I have thought about doing this a few times for fun but never have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pygmycoho1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please follow this through to the end with pics and range report. Will it be made of steel or titanium? I have thought about doing this a few times for fun but never have. </div></div>

I have every intention to follow through with this and when its complete I will conduct a report. Also, its probably going to be made of stainless due to the cost factor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BringMeTheHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't we all just get along?</div></div>
Wouldn't be Sniper's Hide if we could all get along
grin.gif

Go through with your plans though, make sure to look at a few designs out there on the market that are proven to work and make adjustments/modifications based off of those designs. Good luck with this project.

If I may:

Brakes are about recoil reduction. Compensators are designed to reduce the climbing effect a rifle has when firing full auto.

Two very different purposes. . .

I would say your design wants to act more like a brake. While it'll likely reduce recoil I think you may want to reconsider the ring of parallel holes around the periphery. If your drawing is scaled accurately in your photo I think you'll find yourself getting into trouble. The holes are almost tangent to the outside diameter and it'll likely bulge/distort over time. It'll be really annoying if the brake ever bumps against something as it'd likely deform due to the wall thickness being so thin.

I once installed a Vaise brake and got the OD too close to the holes from blending it seamlessly to the barrel. Didn't work so good once I started shooting it. (experience is never cheap)

You may want to consider staggering your ports a bit too.

Hope this helped and good luck with your project.

C.

Your project seems to be a worthwhile endeavor, but as mentioned a little more research is indicated. From what I see from the drawing here are my suggestions.
1. The angle on the side ports would be more efficient if 90* to bore, the angle you have will have gas exiting forward and pushing rifle back. Lose the bottom holes.
2. To reduce recoil you need a surface for the gas to push against, most designs use 3 or more slots at 90* to bore that provide ample surface area.
3. To take out muzzle lift and torque from rifling 3 or more holes at 1 o'clock positioned to pick up gas as it hits the baffles of the ports work well.

Yes I have just described a MSTN brake.

The website is emachineshop (dot) com.
You have to install their CAD program but you are able to design it in AUTOCAD and just save the file as a DXF.

I'm revising the design so its a little beefier, no ports on the bottom, the ports are staggered, and the ports 90* to the bore.

Thanks for all the input guys!

There is a thread on the Site somewhere that describes a bunch of experiments a guy did regarding this topic. He found that a certain diameter of exit hole was necessary over the bullet diameter to gain maximum braking effect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BringMeTheHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The website is emachineshop (dot) com. </div></div>
i bet you are looking at $250+ to have just one of those made at emachineshop. the price per unit goes down significantly with quantity though.

You could order:

THE ACCURATE MUZZLE BRAKE
By: Troy Newlon

from Precision Shooting Magazine's book sales.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BringMeTheHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The website is emachineshop (dot) com. </div></div>
i bet you are looking at $250+ to have just one of those made at emachineshop. the price per unit goes down significantly with quantity though. </div></div>

Actually it'd prolly be double if done CNC in a job shop.

Figure programming at $100/hr minimum

At least an hour of setup.

it's a two machine four op part at the very least unless done on a super bad azz multi axis turning center equipped with live tooling. Then it's very conceivable to make it in one/two ops by the bucket load for cheap. To even be able to buy the machine time the minimum order would likely be at least 500 pieces.

If he's in the "real world" like I and many here are then it'll go something like this:

Profile the OD, internal thread feature, and center bore for op one.

Crown for 2nd op in the lathe

Mount in the 4th to drill the holes for 3rd op.

Set up vertically to drill the cross holes parallel to bore would be the last op.

Then plating, blasting, whatever.

Figure at least $1.50/minute as a rate for any good shop.

Good luck!

C.

a lot of people don't realize what all goes into making a one-off part. being a hobby/garage machinist, i always have people wanting me to make this or that and since it is a small part, they only want to pay a few bucks. they don't realize that first i have to sit down and draw their part, create a program either by hand or cam, figure out a way to hold the part and possibly designing and making a fixture. there is a lot of time involved before their part can even be started.

I work in a job shop and i am currently playing with comps myself. As most in this thread have stated it is not going to be cheap due to the programing and multiple setups on your design. But good luck with this anyhow hope you go forward with it.