• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Designing a rifle chassis for Savage MKII

defcon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
California
I got my tooling for my LMS mini mill and I'm starting to draft up some sketches for the skeleton butt stock.
My workbench is arriving next week so I'll be starting to cut some chips by then.

The style that I'm going for is the futuristic XLR/KRG style chassis.

So it's different types of polygons, angles, and holes.

I want this to be interchangeable with the main chassis so it will be bolted on with 2-3 screws to the chassis.

It will have adjustable LOP, cheek weld, and mono pod.

Did this in photoshop during work.
14991013751_867a8713ea_s.jpg

Got home and started free flowing with Solidworks. Working on designing the main chassis tonight.

14973105076_3d40df75f2_c.jpg

14809443920_778f060cc4_c.jpg

14996085985_820982550d_c.jpg

14809497738_b64615ef50_c.jpg

Well that is pretty awesome if it works out for you. Keep it up and I will have you design me one for some of my guns haha.

My new addiction.

When I become an expert at this after doing a couple of different rifle chassis', I'll convert this to a CNC.

480.3990.jpg

Well that is pretty awesome if it works out for you. Keep it up and I will have you design me one for some of my guns haha.

Thanks. I plan to make these interchangeable with my other .22's like the 10/22, Marlin 60/795 by inletting actions

I bought one of the cousins to the mill shown above a few months back. I have a couple of MKII rifles that I've considered attempting a chassis for, but once I think about it a few minutes, it cools my jets.

Not to down play the idea any but that mill seems a little small for the work you are wanting done. I have no doubt that it will do it, I just think you better take it slow. I'm not sure what kind of back ground you have but I would highly recommend taking a machining class at a Vo Tech or nearby community college. There is a wealth of information along with hands on experience to be gained there. Good luck with the project and be sure to take lots of pictures!

Ben

Not to down play the idea any but that mill seems a little small for the work you are wanting done. I have no doubt that it will do it, I just think you better take it slow. I'm not sure what kind of back ground you have but I would highly recommend taking a machining class at a Vo Tech or nearby community college. There is a wealth of information along with hands on experience to be gained there. Good luck with the project and be sure to take lots of pictures!

Ben

I didn't have room for a full size mill.

It's doable.
This butt stock can be broken into 2 components and just bolt on after i tap a few holes

The whole rifle chassis I had in mind would be 4-5 different components all bolting onto each other.

I have zero experience in milling. I don't have time to take a college course on machining because of my full time job. The one I found it's a 3 month course that requires you to be there 8-4pm everyday.

However there's an old man on craigslist that offers $30/hr per job to do machining in his garage. I can probably pay him to teach me on the weekends.

I'm also a beginner with the Solidworks but I have a bunch of video courses I'm watching.

Last edited: