• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Detach. Mazine Perspectives ....

SND

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2006
Central Michigan
Could some members provide thoughts on the upside and downside of detachable mag's? I'm considering having an M5 installed on my .308 M700 this winter. I did an ASC match this past spring and will definitely be doing that again. Aside from the occasional comp, I mostly shoot F-class and at yotes, fox and crows. I currently have an M4 and really like it. Not looking to start a "which one is better" thread in that there are certainly positive points for both internal and external mag's.

Thanks

SND

Re: Detach. Mazine Perspectives ....

I used an AICS chassis and Manners T2a w/ surgeon BM and now a T2A manners mini chassis.

I can not think of any down sid2.

I guess if you lost your magazine that would suck but if you do your an idiot.

up side:
quick change for a full mag,
more than 4 round capacity
easy to unload weapon for transport
all the cool kids have'em

From a different thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I left some blood and skin off my thumb on my scope rail while top loading at a class... was never getting more than 3 in at a time without some sort of mix up inside requiring them to be dumped and cleared by hand...

I resolved to get a DBM when I resorted to single loading as being faster than using the internal box.

I used to think they were 'tacticool' as well, but in reality they're just 'better' </div></div>

A DBM is very handy for tactical matches where one is required to reload, or when you have to engaged multiple targets that exceed the normal capacity of a bolt gun. Outside of that, there is no real added advantage. Besides, it looks way tacti-cool.
smile.gif

A magazine sticking out of the rifle could catch on things where it woudlnt normally.....its hard fining disadvantages (other than cost) with detachable mags. Most of my rifles have them.

Thanks for the great responses. Detachables do seem to be great for matches. I'm most likely going to stick with the M4 for now and do tacticool my next go 'round. Great reason to buy a new rifle!!!

Thanks Again ...

You can have the stock of your current top feed bolt gun inletted for various DBMs or buy a replacement stock that is already set up for one of them.

I went with CDI for two of my rifles. One is done and home, the other I'll pick tomorrow!

I have one rifle that I returned to standard (williams steel) bottom metal. I have the badger detachable on other rifles and love it for all the reasons listed....especially the ease of unloading. However, on a pure dedicated hunting rig I just like the simplicity and reliability of standard....