• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Detachable box mag users question

Basic user

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2013
    Quick question for you guys regarding detachable magazines on your bolt guns. I remember back in the day when no bolt rifles had dbms; they were all of the ADL or BDL (blind magazine or hinged floorplate) variety and that was that. Then, guys started wanting to be able to load up a few mags and change them out like their semi autos, so the industry responded. So much so in fact that when searching "bottom metal" these days that's what comes up 8 times out of ten - detachable mag floorplates. They definitely outnumber the old school adl/bdl variations now.

What kills me is that almost every rifle video I watch, I see these guys that whined for their bolt guns to be AR's, but they STILL hand load each round now, as if they're in a serious bench rest competition... why? Why did everyone gripe soo bad to get dbm's, only to now single load every round as if they're shooting an 1800 meter competition, where the groups are being measured with digital calipers? What did I miss? Are we going back to the blind floorplate versions? Did you just over pay for the ability to carry 6 preloaded magazines for nothing? Is there an advantage that I missed? I was just curious.

(I know the whole bullet tips beating against the front mag wall theory but still)

Reactions: 762libertarian
    Range shooting for groups or data. Single feed all the way. Makes shit easier

Go to a match you'll never see anyone single fee or BDL. Unless from a 2 round holder

I'd rather have the option to use mags. Or a wyatt's box with hawkins bottom metal.

But if there's so many reasons to single feed unless at a match (which is really new compared to the desire to make bolt guns dbm fed) then who was the industry trying to appease if no one's actually using their magazines? lol.

This just might be the stupidest post I’ve come across.

Just because you have something doesn’t mean you have to use it every time...

It’s a convenience, not a mandate.
    1C4BCBE0-DD39-4DB4-8B6C-7D042D29AB79.gif

But if there's so many reasons to single feed unless at a match (which is really new compared to the desire to make bolt guns dbm fed) then who was the industry trying to appease if no one's actually using their magazines? lol.

Versatility. Think of it that way. You can single load if you want or run mags but with an ADL/BDL you are screwed at matches but can single load. And not everyone single person single loads. I very rarely do. When testing loads I load up a mag and shoot them. That's how they will be shot in a match so I want to see how they do.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Its almost as if there are people who actually use their rifles for things other than making tiny little groups on paper.
    My current 7 saum barrel has been shot once on paper in over 500 shots and is almost exclusively single fed.
    :)

This just might be the stupidest post I’ve come across.

Just because you have something doesn’t mean you have to use it every time...

It’s a convenience, not a mandate.

Never said it was a mandate nor was I wanting it to be. So because you couldn't comprehend a person's method for seeking a few answers, you deem the post stupid? Ok, you're the boss.

How far back in the day are you talking? Lee Enfields have had DBMs since 1895.