• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes detachable mounts for bolt guns

dmuffman80

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
First post,

Would you consider placing a high end scope S&B, US Optics, etc. on a high dollar bolt action rifle to allow use on other bolt action rifles?

I would guess clearance issues and needed elevation base are part of the problem.

thanks for your info!

Re: detachable mounts for bolt guns

What i meant was using a detachable mounting system like a Larue,
to allow placing the scope on more than one rifle.

If you use a high quality rail and high quality rings to fit the rail ,such as nightforce,you can use one scope on multiple guns easily.
I like the nightforce unimount. It has 20 minutes built in so if you put a rail on each of the guns you want to use the scope on,and square the scope to the unimount,you can then switch guns in a minute or two.The scope will be square to the gun and if you keep notes ,just turn to the correct setting, zero the turrets , test fire and you are ready.
The mounts may cost a bit more,but if it saves you the cost of more scopes it is cost effective.If using a lower end scope you may not be able to rely on the repeatability of the turrets,so you might need to boresight and the shoot the gun to sight in. The nightforce scopes I have used are reliable enough that you can just keep notes on how many minutes up from bottom and how many minutes left of extreme right,and you will be very close to perfectly sighted in after switching to a different gun once you have the information recorded for each gun.

I have been thinking about a set of the 2 pc QR Larue Ring Sets. I'm using Nightforce UL and Leupld MK4 rings on rifles now.
You have to watch out running a one piece with 20 MOA built in if you already have a 20 MOA base on your rifle.

Get standard rings and a torque wrench. Very easy to swap a scope from one rifle to another. I do it all the time. No need for QD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get standard rings and a torque wrench. Very easy to swap a scope from one rifle to another. I do it all the time. No need for QD. </div></div>And by standard rings he means something of high quality and with very tight tolerances like Badger Ordnance or Seekins Precision etc.

Exactly! Takes a couple minutes and you know your scope is held on securely and properly torqued and not have to trust a lever on a long range precision rifle.

Also alot of the QD one piece ring/bases are very tall as they are designed to be on ARs. Can be tough to get comfortable behind the a bolt gun without an adjustable cheek piece.

Hey guys,

thanks for the info, i use badger rings and rails.

i have the torque wrench. I think not having the quick release mount will make it easier on a bolt rifle.

thanks!

I cannot see any reason to have detach rings to be able to move a scope from one rifle to anohter.
I can however see the point to have more than one scope per gun, but the risk of loosing the zero on a long range gun is enouhg to not have it for my own sake.

I really can't get the point, one of the most important features is to have perfect cold bore shots or at least to be able to predict them.
To really know that your gun is on zero each time you use it!

Håkan

It isn't hard to swap from the Badgers. It may take an extra minute. The top quality rails have numbers on them so you can mount it in the same spot every time. The qality rings and rails should leave very little room for variance between swithing from rifle to rile, just make notes in your data book about variances in zero

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot see any reason to have detach rings to be able to move a scope from one rifle to anohter.

I really can't get the point, one of the most important features is to have perfect cold bore shots or at least to be able to predict them.
To really know that your gun is on zero each time you use it!

Håkan </div></div>

It might be for range use, shooting for fun or just because right now he only has one nice scope and will need to switch it from rifle to rifle depending on which one he is using. No, its not the ideal situation but not everyone can have a $1200 + scope on each gun. I feel his pain haha.

I'm putting some money down on one of the new Bushnell HDMR's w/ Gap2 reticle tomorrow. It will be my first mil/mil and the highest quality scope I will own so far. I can see why some people might have to use one scope for more than one gun because I think I might be doing the same thing for a while. Do what you have to do until you don't have to. I need range time and practice so if I do swap guns the extra few shots needed to check zero and fine tune will not hurt me.