• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Determine whose advice to listen to?

Gentleman4561

Luke Crawford - Jawbone Media
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Cumming, GA
jbonemedia.com
The internet is full of all sorts of advice on long range shooting, and while Snipers Hide tends to be a goldmine of great advice, a quick trip around Instagram will often put a look of horror on my face.

I have found a great way to determine if someone’s advice is worth listening to, is to search their name on the Practiscore Competitor app.

I put together a quick video showing you how to do this.

Hope this helps y’all better filter the good from the bad!

If people used similar to filter out coaches in other sports/games, then we'd never have most of the great coaches.

Go look up many very good golf coaches and see how they performed. Rarely will it be anyone at the top.

If people used similar to filter out coaches in other sports/games, then we'd never have most of the great coaches.

Go look up many very good golf coaches and see how they performed. Rarely will it be anyone at the top.
Many very capable performers are terrible teachers. Sometimes it seems failure is a better educator of teachers than success is. Those who fail have to work harder and smarter than others in order to succeed.

Many very capable performers are terrible teachers. Sometimes it seems failure is a better educator of teachers than success is. Those who fail have to work harder and smarter than others in order to succeed.

Agreed. It's actually pretty rare to find people who are at the top and are also very good teachers. Both take significant time to become good at, so by default one them is neglected.

Looking at the golf analogy again... Tiger Woods has a coach.

Max Verstappen has a driving coach.. UFC champions all have coaches.

Being the winningest shooter is NOT the best metric to use.

Has lowlight or enough_said won podiums at NRL or PRS matches ? They are coaching, and coaching well.

Reactions: lash
I don't think some of the more traditional stuff like F-Class and Highpower and Smallbore shows up on Practiscore. There are definitely knowledgeable people doing those that can help you too.

Bart Starr was a 5x NFL Champion and was considered one of the greatest to play the game. Called his own plays 30 years before Peyton Manning ever set foot on a football field

He had a .408 winning percentage as a coach.

Conversely, Vince Lombardi had a 73.8% winning percentage and is considered one of the greatest sports coaches and leaders of all time. He played two years of professional football for defunct teams.

The guy who was the personal trainer for MJ, Dwayne Wade and Kobe Bryant never played a day of professional basketball in his life.

Just because you can play at a high level doesn't mean you're a good coach or vice versa. Good coaches & instructors know how to motivate and get the best out of their athletes and students.

Not sure how football got into this.

I see next to zero relationship between coaching a team sport with 10+ players in a field and shooting firearms well.

Practiscore/match scores is the only metric we have available at this time.

I am not saying that a coach has to be a national champion, but when I see a Instagram Influencer with over 250k followers shoot a match and finish bottom 10% it’s very hard to take anything they say seriously.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I don't think some of the more traditional stuff like F-Class and Highpower and Smallbore shows up on Practiscore. There are definitely knowledgeable people doing those that can help you too.
Definitely, my idea here isn’t the end all be all, but it’s certainly helpful in separating knowledge from noise.

Bart Starr was a 5x NFL Champion and was considered one of the greatest to play the game. Called his own plays 30 years before Peyton Manning ever set foot on a football field

He had a .408 winning percentage as a coach.

Conversely, Vince Lombardi had a 73.8% winning percentage and is considered one of the greatest sports coaches and leaders of all time. He played two years of professional football for defunct teams.

The guy who was the personal trainer for MJ, Dwayne Wade and Kobe Bryant never played a day of professional basketball in his life.

Just because you can play at a high level doesn't mean you're a good coach or vice versa. Good coaches & instructors know how to motivate and get the best out of their athletes and students.
Agreed on the “coaching” front.

This more so refers to advice in general.

For instance, last week I saw a guy on Facebook recommend a Specific length/profile barrel for NRL Hunter Matches.

I typed his name into Practiscore and saw that he had won 4 of those matches, that provides credibility.

Practiscore, the Angie’s List of the shooting world.

I shoot with some of the top shooters in PRS and I wouldn't use them as a coach. They don't communicate their thoughts and processes very well.
Hah yep. Ita weird that the top end shooters more often then not, cannot coach.

The mid tier, upper middle pack place getters are often great at explaining, breaking down, and analyzing stuff. They make great coaches. Often train people up to be better then themselves.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I think my advice to newbies, asking if so and so rifle they like is just the thing and/or they want to get into precision shooting is simple.

I tell them, don't buy anything, get into a good precision rifle class that has loaners. There they can see what they need, what works, what they like that works, what they don't need, and if precision rifle is really their cup of tea. (and hopefully get a good idea of the type of rifle that will work for them)

I'm not nearly the best, and my advice might not be perfect, but I do not step past my capabilities to teach others about this sport.

I think my advice to newbies, asking if so and so rifle they like is just the thing and/or they want to get into precision shooting is simple.

I tell them, don't buy anything, get into a good precision rifle class that has loaners. There they can see what they need, what works, what they like that works, what they don't need, and if precision rifle is really their cup of tea. (and hopefully get a good idea of the type of rifle that will work for them)

I'm not nearly the best, and my advice might not be perfect, but I do not step past my capabilities to teach others about this sport.
That is great advice.

Again, this isn’t the end all be all, but helps filter out a lot of noise.

That is great advice.

Again, this isn’t the end all be all, but helps filter out a lot of noise.
What would help way more is to use “common sense”… for everything you read on the internet, but there’s no app for that.

Reactions: lash