• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Devcon bedding products

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I am bedding my HS stock and am looking for bedding material. Brownells has Devcon steel putty and Devcon aluminum putty. Which should I be using? I have a Rem 700 SPS varmint rifle and an HS stock that has a little bit of aluminum in it(behind the recoil lug area and on the side walls and where the mag would go and the back safety are). It think I know the answer but want to double check. THanks so much in advance.

Re: Devcon bedding products

Kiwi "clear" boot polish is a great release agant (not as messy as spray silicone), put it on the action thinly and polish it well. l've done 2 HS stocks in the Aloy compound and they came out lovely.
A 55"/60"-LB torque wrench will allow you to remove the action at any time and return it to a repeatable setting and an ultra fast return to zero

A good inexpensive wrench is a plumbers "hub" wrench in 60lbs. About 1/3 the cost of a gunsmiths wrench with the same repeatable performance.

Not to highjack the post but any of you guys every try to dye the Devcon steel putty with the dyes from Brownells , I was wanting it a bit more black that it finishes to match the stock better

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to highjack the post but any of you guys every try to dye the Devcon steel putty with the dyes from Brownells , I was wanting it a bit more black that it finishes to match the stock better </div></div>

Yes and it works fine. I sent some that I had dyed to Devcon a few years ago and they advised for the purpose of bedding there was no measurable difference in strength.

Norcal'

I have to agree with you on that one, I ordered a "tengue tools" unit and it cost me a fraction of either the HS wrench or any other for that matter.....

I have used Devcon Steel Putty for years, because then I don't have to fight time or gravity.

I have used Devcon Plastic Steel and Marine Tex(gray) and have been satisfied with both. For release agent I use Brownells.

Deans

Shoe polish works great on blued and smooth surfaces. If you have something rough, use Johnsons Paste wax and it will release fine from the Devcon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't quote the spammers. Makes it harder to clean up the thread. </div></div>

Fuck off spammer!!!

I switched from Marine Tex to Devcon products based on the strength and hardness numbers posted. Plus Devcon steel putty is just a better product to work with. The problem I was having with marine tex was it just didn't seem to get as hard and it would start to "melt" and get some when it would machine. Machine work was performed around 20-30 hours after bedding.

Mark

Question for you guys, I've always used Acra-glass for bedding. How does either the Devcon or Marine-Tex hold up to the newer tougher solvents?
I mean does it get kind of rubbery?

I ask because my last batch of Acra-glass didn't harden all the way I think and instead of being hard, it still has this 'rubbery' softness to it, that I don't think is helping. It started hard but then got some solvent spilled all over it. That's when it seemed not so hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for you guys, I've always used Acra-glass for bedding. How does either the Devcon or Marine-Tex hold up to the newer tougher solvents?
I mean does it get kind of rubbery?

I ask because my last batch of Acra-glass didn't harden all the way I think and instead of being hard, it still has this 'rubbery' softness to it, that I don't think is helping. It started hard but then got some solvent spilled all over it. That's when it seemed not so hard. </div></div>

I've yet to run into anything that softens Devcon.