• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Devcon past expiration date...still use it?

insight3b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2007
TN
I just found a pound of devcon while unpacking after my move. Unfortunately the 'use by' date on the label near the UPC is 9/11/2008. It appears normal and I plan to use it. I was wondering if anyone has used Devcon this far past its expiration date and if so how did it work out? TIA

Re: Devcon past expiration date...still use it?

I have some that is older than yours and it works fine. Storage conditions may dictate if yours will still be useable or not. Mix up a small test batch and let it cure before you use it

Heat sealed resin container in hot water slightly above 60 C for an hour or so. Epoxy resin can cristalize like honey, heat will reverse.
edi

Thanks for the answers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insight3b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just found a pound of devcon while unpacking after my move. Unfortunately the 'use by' date on the label near the UPC is 9/11/2008. It appears normal and I plan to use it. I was wondering if anyone has used Devcon this far past its expiration date and if so how did it work out? TIA </div></div>

When I worked on M14s, the specified bedding compound was either Fenwall or Devcon. I really don't care for it.

The most popular bedding compound used these days seems to be Marine Tex. I have it and like it, although I also use a lot of the old Brownells compounds since I had a lot of experience with them. Always have loved ACRABED, but it is tricky to use.

I'd bet that it's fine, but I think that it would be prudent to mix a small batch and let it cure to make sure it hardens properly. Could also call the company, they might have something to say about that. Good luck