• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Devcon Type for Aluminum Skim Bed?

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
<span style="font-style: italic">[I did search. There are a lot of threads with people saying they use this or that devcon, but none that specifically address my thermal expansion match question, below.]</span>

So I am doing my first action bed.

The action is a Stiller "Lonestar" special run that is roughly equivalent of the Tac300 (including black oxide finish). Material is Stainless 416R, I believe.

The chassis is an aluminum construction Tac21 Long Action.

In thinking about the build, I realize that aluminum and steel have different expansion properties. Given that, does it make a significant difference which type of Devcon I use? I hear a lot of people use the 10110 "steel" devcon. Would I be better advised to match the thermal properties of the aluminum v block that is part of the Tac21 chassis bottom? Say, by using the Devcon 10610 instead?

Am I over thinking this?

Re: Devcon Type for Aluminum Skim Bed?

You're over thinking it.

While you're 100% correct that thermal expansion differs between steel and aluminum, Devcon 10110 "steel" epoxy won't expand the same as steel, because the resin isn't steel.

Given that we bed to provide a fully supportive reduced stress mount for our recieve the expansion of the devcon materual come into play at all, then?

I am no materials engineer but it just seems to me that the devcon not expanding or contracting at the rate of the material it is bonded to (the chassis), could introduce stress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're over thinking it.

While you're 100% correct that thermal expansion differs between steel and aluminum, Devcon 10110 "steel" epoxy won't expand the same as steel, because the <span style="font-weight: bold">resin isn't steel.</span> </div></div>