• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Devcon vs acraglass

eodusa

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2008
I just bedded the bottom metal on my rifle today. It had a little unevenness on the bottom and was slight flexing so I decided to bed it.
Using the Devcon 10110 I notice it to be "grainier" than acraglass and a bit rougher in texture. So just a headsup. If you're looking for a smooth glass like finish then stick with acraglass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have used devcon steel and aluminum and never had a grainy finish has always been slick, watch what you use as a release agent and check the production date

Same as Sjett I use Devcon steel and Johnston paste wax for a release agent and have never had a problem. I prefer Devcon because its not as runny as Acraglass.

I have never had a bad surface finish on any of the Devcon steel putty I have used over the years.

Its likely the release agent you used or possible mixing ratio.

Ive been using this stuff I get from work. Its called Fixall,its made by Wurth. Its a two part and requires this special caulking gun. Been using it for a few months. Once it is mixed,it takes about 15 minutes to harden up. I use a carnauba past wax as a release agent and works great.

Unless your getting a 5 finger discount on the fix all your pay to much wurth thinks its made of gold, start using Devcon

I use Acra Glass Gel - it has the consistency of peanut butter. I also like the Acra Release - very fine aresol that can easily get into the tiniest corners.

Work pays for it. Which devcon are you using, the one I used felt like it took forever to set up?

I just bedded the bottom metal on my rifle today. It had a little unevenness on the bottom and was slight flexing so I decided to bed it.
Using the Devcon 10110 I notice it to be "grainier" than acraglass and a bit rougher in texture. So just a headsup. If you're looking for a smooth glass like finish then stick with acraglass.

I opened a container of Devcon 10110 and the lid to the hardener was very loose and the contents was very dry. This caused the mix to be grainy as you described. I called devcon and they sent a replacement.

This was 6-8 months ago and since then they've added an air tight seal.

Last edited:
I'm not a pro, but I've used both Devcon steel and titanium and never had a bad result. I don't know how you could have ended up with a grainy finish. I prefer the faster set time on the titanium. I always weigh the quantities to get the right ratio perfect and use clear paste shoe polish for a release agent. When its past its date throw it away or at least don't try to use it for anything important.

In the past I got a grainy texture, came down to the release agent. An old batch as stated above may do it as well. I found using a good wax, polishing it out and another coat of wax made all the difference. YMMV

I used Marine-tex which is very similar Devcon steel. Completely smooth. I have also used Acraglass which does dry rather shiny. Alex Sitman at masterclass stocks uses Devcon and his bedding jobs are the tits.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Plus 1 for accurglass gel. No runny mess and just as good of results. Also comes with brown and black dye.