• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Develop a load before or after bedding action?

Hookman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
Franklin, TN.
I recently acquired a Rem 40XB which is pillar bedded that I am planning to get a McM or Manners stock for. I am wondering if it would make sense to work up a load in the current setup or wait till after I get it bedded to get the best results out of my efforts in finding a good load?

Re: Develop a load before or after bedding action?

If the barrel is free floated entirely (nothing forward of the recoil lug) on both set-ups you should be ok to go and develop a load and then swap stocks.

I would do a load development with the stock it will be fired in.

I had the same results with my rifle/load after changing stocks from a bedded HS precision to an AICS 2.0.

I think is approaching a waste of time to bother with a load work up before you get the rifle set up the way you want it. If you must buy a stock because all the big dogs have that stock, then go ahead and get it now. The exception might be deciding on a couple maximum loads, (that won't change) exclusive of dialing in the accuracy development.

Scenerio #2. There is the remote possibility that the current stock is completely satisfactory and disturbing the formula would be counterproductive. You decide what you need. BB

Good thoughts and ideas. I don't have any real proof but I would tend to think that the bedded action in a new stock would make a difference. but I don't think that would have negative result. If I find the accuracy node in the current setup, theoretically my groups would just get tighter after it goes into a bedded stock.