• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Developing a load, got a question before I start

Cranedaddy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2013
So I think I've got all the stuff I need to start hand loading for my .308 AR. All I have to do now is mount my press and get the rest of my equipment set up and start cranking out some rounds. I am not necessarily bran new to reloading, I have been loading pistol rounds on a Dillon 550 for about a year so I'm not a total noob, but still pretty fresh.

I've got everything I need right now, brass, primers, powder and bullets BUT I don't have a whole bunch of the same brand of cases. I've got 100 Lapua, 200 Hornady match, 160 Federal (american eagle), 99 range pickups (all ppu once fired I'm assuming) and a couple batches of 20-30 rounds of random once fired brass.

I think I know the answer to this question but I'm wanting some more opinions on it. If I work up a load on my federal cases just to find the right node then decide to switch to the Lapua or Hornady cases for a little bit more accuracy am I going to screw myself and have to start over developing a load for the different brand cases?

I'm thinking of working up a load on the cheaper brass and when I find the sweet spot switching to the more expensive stuff like the Lapua brass I have. I really don't want to start with the Lapua brass because this is a gas gun I'm loading for and it has been known to be really hard on brass. I do have the Tubbs CWS installed in it but I haven't had a chance to shoot it.

Thanks in advance!

BTW the Tubbs CWS will work in the DPMS GII bolt even though it's for a 556 AR!

The loads will be a little different in each brass because of the case volume. 308 is a pretty easy one to load for because of the data out there so it is easier to find a good load. I say load up hornady since you have more of them and shoot those first. Or trade off some of the brass to get the same headstamp.

Walter