• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DFAT/IOTA questions - cap vs screw in, DFAT gen1 vs gen2, use with sunshade

LostInTranslation

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2020
I have few questions about DFAT/IOTA

DST precision has two versions - gen1 and gen2 http://dstprecision.net/index.html
  • Has anyone compared gen1 vs gen2 as far as performance? Does "better lens" actually matter for intended usage?
  • Any opinion on screw-in (gen2) vs dust cover approach (gen1)? I am a bit apprehensive about screwing in/out gen2 adapter. Can dust cap (gen1) version be put on/off easily?
  • Can it be used with sunshade or does it have to be installed on scope itself? If I can install it on sunshade - I am a bit less concerned about damaging threads overtime.
Thank you

The gen 2 is totally worth it. It is solidly built and is brighter. You can't normally use them with a sun shade since the element in it basically sets a new point of reference for your scope to parallax on. The sunshade would put that too far out for most scopes.

Necroposter
I'm ok with it. Half the time people are looking for info and end up sitting over an old thread anyway. I got the gen 2 recently and wanted to make sure people could find more info then I did when I was looking. Now people can search a thread instead of starting a new one.

The gen 2 is totally worth it. It is solidly built and is brighter. You can't normally use them with a sun shade since the element in it basically sets a new point of reference for your scope to parallax on. The sunshade would put that too far out for most scopes.
FYI on Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 it works with and without sunshade.