• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DI VS Piston system

chaos27delta

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2011
texas
I have been reading many differnet views on AR piston systems. wanted to get your opinion on the matter. I was thinking about getting a POF rifle, but have read mixed reviews and claims that you should not go with a piston system.

"A piston system alters the mechanics and timing of an AR in a manner that a growing number of gun experts are claiming is harmful to the gun. Trying to add a piston system to a change a bolt carrier that was designed to function with direct impingement is crazy. A piston system in a AR creates a see-saw effect that causes the bolt carrier to tilt within the receiver, retarding its movement and imparting a non-linear force to the assembly. The AR rifle was not designed for bolt carrier group to be hammered."

I believe a direct impingement system is more accurate. So I will more than likely go with GAP-10 rather than the POF.

Re: DI VS Piston system

There are pluses and minuses to both. Do some research decide what your needs are and make an informed decision. This topic has been covered in great detail on this and other forums. The search function is your friend. Good luck.

What Daps! said. Ford vs. Chevy only with more vocal supporters of each side. Seems you've already came to your own conclusion anyhow, so enjoy your GAP-10.

The horse is dead and pulverized....

Christ-Not-this-shit-again.jpg

I think that the pof piston system is great. Super simple and it plain works. Again and again. And it obviously doesn't affect accuracy. The prob w the pof and the gap is the rail system in my opinion.

c27d-Why are you asking for opinions in a post where you state your predetermined decision?

dtac-I'm not crazy about the rail height, but if you look at the cutaway drawing on POF's website you will see that Frank's design lends much more meat to the barrel nut area, allowing more rigidity.

That said, I usually can't shoot the difference....

I had my mind set on the POF in the beginning. I have heard great things about their rifles. The more I researched, I found to many conflicting stories. POF owners claiming they had problems with their POF and had to send it back to the manufacture, or they were not as accurate as the articles written on them claimed. I like that the POF doesn't get as dirty as a DI system and have read you can run them without lube and they have been put thru thousands of rounds torture tests and they keep firing. Who wouldnt want that rifle. I'm just a poor staff sergeant who has been wanting a accurate semi-auto for who knows how long now. finally 3 deployments later and giving the tax return over to the wife this year to spend on whatever she wanted; was given the go ahead to get the rifle I have always wanted. For the money I want the most reliable and accurate rifle I can afford under 3500 (not including optics/accessories.) Everything I have read recently says you can't go wrong with a GAP. And I appoligize for the post. I am a noob and should have advanced search the Piston vs DI Issue. Should have posted POF or GAP your thoughts.

If you are going to suppress it, go piston. If you are not getting a can, I'd order a GAP10.