• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Diabetic dog

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
Back in March my pocket beagle was diagnosed with diabetes.We started her on insulin and got her a stable dosage routine but now she is slowly losing her vision. There is no sadder a sight than to see her walk into things or look around the room for us when we are right there in front of her.She still has spunk and spark and eats and drinks fine its just the vision is going downhill. Will never put her down just because of the vision since she is not suffering but lots of people tell me her quality of life is suffering. Really between a rock a hard place.

Diabetic dogs form cataracts almost overnight sometimes. That’s most likely what’s going on, but there could be retinal damage. Take her to a veterinary ophthalmologist where they will do an ERG to make sure her retinas are still functioning, then they can do surgery to remove the cataracts and restore vision. Bring your checkbook though.

I've got a friend who is a homeopathic vet out of Raymondville Missouri. PM me if you want his contact information. He has had really good success on a variety of issues.

We had a a dog who had one eye and a crooked tail. The sweetest dog ever. She got diabetes and we had a hard time finding the right amount of insulin. There were a couple times her sugar got low and she would go blind. Gave her some honey and she would perk back up and be able to see again. She doesn't have to drive or read so being blind is not that big of a deal. Talk a lot and make noise so she can find you. Also dont move furnature around, she will know where everything is and start moving around faster just like she could see. But put something in her way and she'll hit it.
Now I'm crying thinking about mine.
Don't put her down unless she's suffering. A blind dog is still a good dog.

We had a a dog who had one eye and a crooked tail. The sweetest dog ever. She got diabetes and we had a hard time finding the right amount of insulin. There were a couple times her sugar got low and she would go blind. Gave her some honey and she would perk back up and be able to see again. She doesn't have to drive or read so being blind is not that big of a deal. Talk a lot and make noise so she can find you. Also dont move furnature around, she will know where everything is and start moving around faster just like she could see. But put something in her way and she'll hit it.
Now I'm crying thinking about mine.
Don't put her down unless she's suffering. A blind dog is still a good dog.
My thoughts exactly thanks.

As stated, the most common cause of cataracts is diabetes, sometimes with a secondary lens induced uveitis (inflammation inside the eye) that can be painful, so checking with your vet or vet ophthalmologist will be the first step. Lens surgery is the only way to restore vision. That being said. I know a lot of blind dogs with good qualities of life, they just need time to adjust.

Sorry to hear, sucks watching them have health issues. Have you seen the halos people use for blind dogs to help with keeping them from running into stuff until they get used to the layout of the house being blind? I know there are a lot of blind dogs out there living a great life. A lady posted a picture of her dog the other day that had to have both eyes removed, she was trying to make light of a shit situation even though the dog is doing well.

Screenshot_20230718_192906_Facebook.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner