• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dial Calibers, Good Brand??

Charlie112

Herd Thinner
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
USA
Which is a good brand to purchase, there seems to be a number of Chinese brands, ?? When I was doing machine work back in the 70's, Starrett was my choice, and where are you all purchasing these???
Thanks

314E9A89-BCBA-42E0-815E-CDC36E50388B.jpeg

Lot of rumors floating around that the steel in Starrett jaws not what the once were. Whether brass and copper, or what we measure can mess steel up, I have no clue. I've has a set of Starrett 120 A's for 25 yrs and love them.
But for reloading, and sharing numbers with others, having digital calipers are my go to today. The dial only gets use in OAL or diameter measurements today. So easy to zero out attachments with a digi.
calipers.jpg

Lot of rumors floating around that the steel in Starrett jaws not what the once were. Whether brass and copper, or what we measure can mess steel up, I have no clue. I've has a set of Starrett 120 A's for 25 yrs and love them.
But for reloading, and sharing numbers with others, having digital calipers are my go to today. The dial only gets use in OAL or diameter measurements today. So easy to zero out attachments with a digi.
View attachment 7242115
I went with the Miyutoyo, 6 inch, dial, tax and all $119.00... close to home...Thanks again for all info, Charlie112

Reactions: Milo 2.5
I've still got a caliper that was from Dillion, circa 1989. Cost me a whopping (at the time) $39. Never figured out who made them for Dillion (they have a serial number though), but they have lasted a long time. Better than the cheap ones they sell now, that's for sure.

Another option is penntoolco.com if looking for a lower price option, check Fowler and SPI brands. As others have said B&S, Starrett, and Mitutoyo are all top tier.

My Brown & Sharpe have been serving me well for nearly 35 years now. Don't see much reason to change.

I've had the same pair of 8" Mitutoyo dials at work for almost twenty years. I bought a 6" pair for reloading a few years back.