• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dial calipers

Ammo dog 2311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
New york
I have a digital caliper that I thought was good. Measured my brass to the book dimensions. Loaded and shot the ammo. Had no pressure signs or any problems with the ammo. A couple days later I wanted to see how much my brass grew. I measured it and found that it got SHORTER ??? What the fuc_! I checked my brass many times when I trimmed it. My caliper must be off some how, maybe the batteries were low I don't know.
Want to get dial caliper now but not sure which one to get. What are you guys using? Don't care how much it costs but I want it to be real accurate. So what do you recommend ???

Re: Dial calipers

Had the same problem and found that I couldn't trust what the digital calipers were telling me. Now I use mechanical ones (Hornady) and they've been great.

You should be measuring your brass after you trim it. Measuring it after firing and before you size it will not give you valid readings. When you measure, you need to do so after it is sized. If you are trimming it, do so after it has been sized.

to your question, I will recommend Mitutoyo or Starret. Both make very good calipers, Starret are American made. There are tons of sources on the net--I buy from Airgas direct.

What is the tolerances of your caliper ? Some I was looking at had a varience of + - .003 think that's to much for reloading.

I had a cheap set of frankfort arsenal calipers and they were well not ok. Can't say they all are are bad but I can say I would trust a set of calibrated Mitutoyo's and Starret's before anything. Be sure when you buy calipers that they state they are for accurate measuring and not the ones that say "for refernce only", or some other phrase like that.

Their is quite the price range between models. The starret has a .001 -+ on there web site. That's not bad but is there better. Don't want to spend to much money but if there is anything a little better and not to much more then the starret let me know...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo dog 2311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their is quite the price range between models. The starret has a .001 -+ on there web site. That's not bad but is there better. Don't want to spend to much money but if there is anything a little better and not to much more then the starret let me know... </div></div>

The +26 years of my electronics work having me bump into MEs... a few had analog Starrets from years before. But, all of the new gear was Mitutoyo Digital. The one I stated is good for 0.001" accuracy and readout of 0.0005" for @ $130 shipped.
You put more than that into finding and spending on a caliper for handloading and you're doing it wrong.

Butt!!! you can always spend under $100 NIB and get less.

It's like those that use RCBS, Lyman, Pact scales for 1000yd plus competition, they're jokers... a GEMPRO 250 at a minimum for 1000yds. I'm saving for a Sartorius GD503 Class II.

Best to you.

The one you posted is digital. Want to get away from that because of what happened last time. Sorry but I don't trust them anymore. Thanks for the thought but scared to repeat my last mistake.

The problem is you guys are all using calipers to do a dial indicator or blade mic job.