• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dial in muzzle - yes or no???

operator1

Minuteman
Nov 15, 2004
Youngsville, NC
I am working on chambering my 1st barrel today and am using a range rod and 2 indicators. I have the breech end dialed in to within .0002 but the muzzle end is out. How many of you dial in the muzzle? If you do dial it in how close do you try to get?

Re: Dial in muzzle - yes or no???

you don't need to have the muzzle dialed in if you have the breech dialed in. I don't even know how you could do both at the same time unless the bore was absolutely perfect.

Absolutely concentric to the OD of the barrel the entire way.

no, if you dial the muzzle you will throw the breech out of alignment. dial in the end you are working on and let the other fall where it may. Some people cut the barrel tennon and then face it back until the high spot of the muzzle is to the top when the action in on the action before they start cutting the bolt nose recess and chamber.

skog

So once the breech end is dialed in dead nuts they mark the high side of the muzzle end to make sure it's indexed on top?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So once the breech end is dialed in dead nuts they mark the high side of the muzzle end to make sure it's indexed on top? </div></div>
Correct. Dont even think about the muzzle, let it go wherever it finds itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So once the breech end is dialed in dead nuts they mark the high side of the muzzle end to make sure it's indexed on top?</div></div>

Correct, this is the best place as it avoids a windage problem, and also is somewhat like a small canted base on the action, as long as it isn't too extreme it will give you more elevation upward in your scope from zero. That is typically a good thing, unless it was enough to make your scope not zero at 100

DD

Well I'm dialed on the breech end, I guess I'll go start making some chips. Thanks

you do have the breech end dialed in at two spots along the range rod, correct?

if so, i have seen the muzzle end run out over 30 thousandths. it is not a problem but i do like to mark the high spot of the muzzle end so i can index it straight up when the receiver is fitted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you do have the breech end dialed in at two spots along the range rod, correct?

if so, i have seen the muzzle end run out over 30 thousandths. it is not a problem but i do like to mark the high spot of the muzzle end so i can index it straight up when the receiver is fitted. </div></div>

Yes, using "2" .0001 indicators and am within .0002. Trying to dial it in perfect can drive you fucking crazy.

sometimes it is easy and i have a barrel dialed in in less than 15 minutes. other times it can take me hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sometimes it is easy and i have a barrel dialed in in less than 15 minutes. other times it can take me hours. </div></div>
LOL, You're a whack,....like me
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sometimes it is easy and i have a barrel dialed in in less than 15 minutes. other times it can take me hours. </div></div>
LOL, You're a whack,....like me
smile.gif
</div></div>You guys need more accurate indicators.

J/K...LOL...

Oh man, I'm a fairly experienced machinist, but new to gunsmithing...I can see I'm i n BIG trouble....
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So once the breech end is dialed in dead nuts they mark the high side of the muzzle end to make sure it's indexed on top?</div></div>

Correct, this is the best place as it avoids a windage problem, and also is somewhat like a small canted base on the action, as long as it isn't too extreme it will give you more elevation upward in your scope from zero. That is typically a good thing, unless it was enough to make your scope not zero at 100

DD </div></div>Can one also assume this will help counter barrel sag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you do have the breech end dialed in at two spots along the range rod, correct?

if so, i have seen the muzzle end run out over 30 thousandths. it is not a problem but i do like to mark the high spot of the muzzle end so i can index it straight up when the receiver is fitted. </div></div>That's a lot of runout.... .030". Is there a point where yoiu might try and straighten the barrel? (Please excuse my ignorance here)

Nothing at all ignorant about your question, thats how you learn, we werent all born knowing how to dial in a barrel. Anyway, a runout of 30 thou is not uncommon but to get more to your question, its not that the barrel is bent and needs straightening, it the rifling thats not straight. It would be almost totally impossible as you can imagine, to drill a perfectly straight hole thats 28" or 30" deep although Ive seen some really good ones in my time. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks gamma...yes, I understand the bore is not concentric, but what would stop a person from straightening out the bore,(possibly with a press?) at lease to within a few thou? I understand the outside of the barrel may not be straight after that, but is that as important? Maybe it's really impossible to tell exactly where the error in the bore is?
Thanks for your input.

Thats a good question but I dont think the results would make any significant improvements to accuracy and yes as you said, how would you gauge exactly where your barrel was out. Definitely got me thinking though.