• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Dial or hold over?

Av8radam

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Shot my first local match today. Some of the stages a longer time frames in the two minute Range. This gave plenty of time to dial, but when speaking to the guys that are shooting the bigger matches they said they are more fast paced and you will need to hold over most of the time. Any advice or tips. What do you guys think.. looking for a little feedback. Thanks!

I'll dial if there's time. If there isn't time to dial the elevation and it is a major wind differential I'll try to just dial for wind, but only if there is a large difference between the wind holds. It makes it a lot harder if your holding for wind and elevation but nowhere near a branch of the reticle for the wind hold. Do you have tree type reticle? If so it makes things lot easier if you can set it up so your wind holds are on or near a solid elevation line.

There are a lot of stages where you shouldn't even consider dialing. If it's a know your limits at 300 with a shot at 1000 between each plate on the KYL rack you are only going to get a couple shots off if you try to spin a rotation all the way up take your 1000 and all the way back down to take the 300. You have to hold the 1000 yard shot to have any chance at getting a decent amount of points on the rack.

This is a pretty broad question and subject. What kind of feedback or advice are you looking for?

i dial if there is time (this is also based on shooters own speed), hold if i think im going to be rushed...some stages are set up with the same amount of shots/targets, but the order of engagement almost forces a hold...example is 2 stages with 5 different targets and 10 total shots, 1 stage you shoot 2 shots per target and keep advancing...the other stage you shoot 1 round at targets 1 thru 5, then work backwards 1 round @ targets 5 thru 1...both stages are 5 targets, 2 rounds each, but one is 4 dials and 4 transitions from your starting dope and the other is 8 and 8...id rather hold and have a few more seconds each target than dial and feel rushed...a good reticle helps here...at the lone survivor this past weekend we shot 17 stages, 12 were 2 min and 5 were 90 seconds, i believe i held for 2 or 3 stages

Dial if you have time but practice holding as well as sometimes there might not be an option as some stages are hold only as written in the stage description. Also sometimes it's just faster to hold. I let the stage tell me what I need to do to shoot it best.

Learn to hold everything. Dialing is great if you have the time, the range is known, an it's but a game. If it's a UKD an real, spend the time to range correctly then hold it all.

i dial if there is time (this is also based on shooters own speed), hold if i think im going to be rushed...some stages are set up with the same amount of shots/targets, but the order of engagement almost forces a hold...example is 2 stages with 5 different targets and 10 total shots, 1 stage you shoot 2 shots per target and keep advancing...the other stage you shoot 1 round at targets 1 thru 5, then work backwards 1 round @ targets 5 thru 1...both stages are 5 targets, 2 rounds each, but one is 4 dials and 4 transitions from your starting dope and the other is 8 and 8...id rather hold and have a few more seconds each target than dial and feel rushed...a good reticle helps here...at the lone survivor this past weekend we shot 17 stages, 12 were 2 min and 5 were 90 seconds, i believe i held for 2 or 3 stages

And you beat a ton of big names doing it. I pretty much had the same idea. I dialed wind for the single distance / multiple position stages like the barricades, and held where we had to shoot at lots of distances from one position. Worked great once I figured out my zero after stage 6 haha.

Thanks for the feedback!! I think I’m going to practice holding more seems to be the common theme here.. when I have time at a stage I will dial but learn to hold as a go to option.