• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dick Winters

Re: Dick Winters

I found the same article. We have been diminished with his passing.

Quote from the above Pennlive.com article: "Ambrose, the author of “Band of Brothers,” said in a 2001 BBC interview that he hopes young people say. “I want to be like Dick Winters.”

I hope that I can be half the leader that Winters was.

Tom

The book and miniseries touched me, as well. I have used his example to fuel my leadership style. He was a true American hero.

You all are right, a great man has passed.
I have a short story about him.
My wife and I and a couple other Hide members went on the BoB tour to Europe in 2006, hosted by Wild Bill Guarnere and Babe Heffron. We attended a parade in Eindhoven, Holland on the anniversary of the town's liberation by Easy Company, British forces and other US Army units.
After all the restored military vehicles went by and the bands finished playing, there was a ceremony to honor Easy Co, Bill G, Babe H and Don Malarkey who was also present.
The Dutch folks were going crazy during the whole affair. When the Mayor of Eindhoven (IIRC) got up to speak, he called Maj Dick Winters on the phone (Dick was at home in PA at the time) and the conversation was piped over the PA system.

The Dutch went completely apeshit,(Thousands of them!) We had several British tankers sitting behind us crying their eyes out. One local guy who was 13 yrs old when Easy Co dropped from the sky that day, kept thanking my wife and I for his freedom. I said, "I had nothing to do with it". He said "You're an American, that's good enough!"
There wasn't a dry eye in the place. Dick W spoke for several minutes on the reasons for war and remembering the sacrifices made by those who serve.
I had goosebumps for the whole 13 day tour, but that night I will never forget. Don't let the media bullshit you about how Europe hates America. We went to 8 countries on that tour and were warmly welcomed in all of them.
Especially Babe and Bill.

RIP Dick Winters. You were one hell of a man.

AIRBORNE TOAST

I have ridden the skies in great machines,
hooked up and jumped with the best of men.
I have fought long and hard, and when I felt I had no energy left,
I have been fired by the fear that I stopped fighting, my comrades would die.

And when I was in danger, enemy all around,
I heard the thunder from my left and my right, as my life was defended.
I have never been alone.

I live, jump, fight and battle to victory with the greatest assemblage of men on earth.

Gentlemen, to the BROTHERHOOD of the AIRBORNE.

To the AIRBORNE - To Dick Winters

To the BROTHERHOOD of the AIRBORNE. Present and past.

To the AIRBORNE - To Dick Winters

smiley_salute1.gif

In the middle of the little town of Longchamps, Belgium, there is a monument to an American Army Airborne Unit.

According to Lynchburg resident John Peniche, it’s known colloquially as “the Peniche monument,” after his father.

Not that Eduardo Peniche, who fought for America during World War II as a Mexican citizen, was the only hero of that battle, or the highest-ranking member of the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment.

“I think it was because he, more than anyone else, kept coming back,” John Peniche said. “He made several visits there.”

If you knew Ed Peniche, a longtime Spanish teacher at Central Virginia Community College, you know that he left an impression. A tiny man barely 5 feet tall, he had a big personality. And early in December, in a sense, he visited Longchamps again.

John Peniche, his brother Carlos, their two sons and Ed’s widow, Deane, made a pilgrimage to Longchamps and nearby Bastogne as part of the commemoration of the 65th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge, a pivotal engagement fought in weather so cold that the oldest residents of the area still talk about it.

“It was cold last week, too,” Peniche said earlier this week, “and I liked that, because it made it seem more real.”

So was the physical setting. The barn in which Ed Peniche took refuge after being wounded is still there, as is the road his unit was assigned to guard. Moreover, the 2009 Peniche delegation was greeted by Christiane Luc-Feller, who had fled the house next to the barn at the age of 3, shortly before the American troops arrived.

“She lives in that house now,” John Peniche said, “and she and her family gave us a very warm reception.”

The Peniches even got to watch a re-enactment of the Battle of Bastogne, with the Americans portrayed by local Belgians.

Back in December of 1944, the 101st Airborne was surrounded for several weeks by German forces. Peniche’s unit was among those sent to Bastogne to break the stalemate, and Ed arrived as a passenger in a glider.

“He dug a foxhole along a tree line that’s still there,” John Peniche said, “and he had an anti-tank weapon to use against any tanks that came down the road.”

Thus ensued a battle within the larger Battle of the Bulge, credited by many historians as finally breaking the back of the German resistance.

“My father was also involved in an Allied campaign in Holland,” John Peniche said. “They made a movie about it, ‘A Bridge Too Far.’ So we went there before we traveled to Bastogne.”

John Peniche already had a curious connection to Europe, having worked in public relations at both General Electric and Babcock & Wilcox right before they were bought by European companies.

“Hire me, and your company gets taken over by somebody in Sweden or France,” he said with a laugh.

On the Peniches’ last night in Belgium, they gathered with Christiane Luc-Fellers and her family, along with the mayor of Longchamps and some other town officials, at the approximate site of Ed Peniche’s 1944 foxhole. It was already dark, and a chill was setting in as the last of the ashes of the diminutive Airborne warrior were scattered on the cold ground. Several of the Belgians cried, because this was someone they had known personally.

“We formed a circle and held hands,” John Peniche said. “It was very emotional.”

Heres another one, Ed Peniche. He taught me spanish at this community college in Virginia. To my knowledge, still alive and fiesty at ove 90 years, and living in Houston. Note that he was still a MEXICAN CITIZEN whhen he fought for the US. I took him and his wife Deena to supper last time i was through town. A fine man, and a personal friend. Not a lot of these guys left.

Truly the greatest generation. I'll hoist one tonight for my dad and uncles and all the Dick Winters who fought so that I didn't have to. Thank you.

We are loosing too many of these great guys, RIP Major Winters, at least he is back with a large number of his Paratroopers!

The Major would frown upon any overly sentimental gestures. Instead he would likely insist that we continue to support the surviving members of his command, and the 101st in general.

He surely did not freeze in the door on the Final Jump.

No Slack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Truly the greatest generation. I'll hoist one tonight for my dad and uncles and all the Dick Winters who fought so that I didn't have to. Thank you. </div></div>

Not to in any way take anything from any of these guys, but Id have to disagree with you and Brokaw on "The greatest generation"....Id have to give that distinction to Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Adams, Henry and those guys who not only fought for America, but designed the whole system we have now. But I give a lot of honor to these guys as well. May we live our lives so as to deserve their sacrifice.

Just saw this online and was going to post it until I found this thread. This guy was a real hero to me. This is the type of a guy who should be talked about for weeks after his passing like we unfortunately do for celebs like Michael Jackson.

To think, these guys literally saved the world. Unreal...

MASON @ CST

One of the greatest combat leaders this country has ever produced. Another aspect of him that I really appreciate is that he kept his promise to himself that he made at the end of D-day. He said if he lived through the war that he would find a quiet patch of land and live in peace. He never sought out fame or praise even though this is exactly the kind of person who we should be pointing to our children as role models. Unfortunately the media will focus on others like pop stars and spoiled debutantes...

RIP Dick Winters

I lost my uncle yesterday. He was 89. He fought in the Norwegian resistance movement against the Germans in WW2. The GESTAPO hunted him unsuccessfully for 3 years. Every time i go for a walk in the woods near my house in Oslo I pass a sign wich marks one of the position from wich my uncle's group sendt secret radio transmissions with intelligence to London. I always take my cap off when I pass that sign.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RIP Dick Winters

I lost my uncle yesterday. He was 89. He fought in the Norwegian resistance movement against the Germans in WW2. The GESTAPO hunted him unsuccessfully for 3 years. Every time i go for a walk in the woods near my house in Oslo I pass a sign wich marks one of the position from wich my uncle's group sendt secret radio transmissions with intelligence to London. I always take my cap off when I pass that sign. </div></div>

I'll have a beer in your Uncle's honor tonight Torf. Thanks for sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This guy was a real hero to me. This is the type of a guy who should be talked about for weeks after his passing like we unfortunately do for celebs like Michael Jackson.

To think, these guys literally saved the world. Unreal...

MASON @ CST </div></div>

Absolutely. Should be the front page of the USA Today. This was a hero and fought for all of our freedom. This can't be said for most of today's "heros".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Absolutely. Should be the front page of the USA Today. This was a hero and fought for all of our freedom. This can't be said for most of today's "heros". </div></div>

100% agree. Unfortunately it wasn't front page news and the 24 hour news cycle moved on from this story along time ago. Here's a bump Winters!

MASON @ CST

BAND OF BROTHERS Real Men Real Heros But I figure if asked they would say they were just doing their best for their country. If only our leaders today had a little taste of that.

I think it was terrible and a real screw job that he wasn't awarded the MOH. Winters was recommended for the Medal of Honor for his leadership at Brécourt Manor, but due to the quota system which limited the distribution of the award to only one per division, and since one Medal of Honor had already been awarded—to Lieutenant Colonel Robert G. Cole—the recommendation was downgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross, the U.S. Army's second highest award for combat valor. After the release of the Band of Brothers television miniseries, a letter-writing campaign to have Winters awarded the Medal of Honor retroactively was started, but so far without success.

Rep. Tim Holden (D-PA) had introduced HR 3121 (111th) "To authorize and request the President to award the Medal of Honor to Richard D. Winters, of Hershey, Pennsylvania, for acts of valor on June 6, 1944, in Normandy, France, while an officer in the 101st Airborne Division." The bill had been referred to the House Armed Services Committee and the House Armed Services Committee, Subcommittee on Military Personnel. But... they allowed the Bill to die without comment or passage when the 111th session ended... embarassing fucks couldn't even take a damn vote to honor a brave man before he died.

Holden would have to re-introduce the Bill for the 2011-2012 session. Winter's family has shifted gears to start a foundation to insure that todays combat veterans receive their proper awards in a timely manner.

Wow, that is really interesting, didn't know that. Absolutely agree he should get it. And what is there to discuss re:MOH? The guy's impromptu strategy/execution/leadership in battle has been taught at West Point long before Band of Brothers came out. Our system is jacked up...

MASON @ CST