• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dickey Betts passes

So many good things to say about Dickey Betts and the Allman Brothers Band.

I know it's true that drugs and booze aren't good for you but they never seemed to have an effect on guys like Dickey.

I love the studio version of "Jessica" - you can hear the piano player make two, maybe three mistakes in his playing but I'm glad they didn't do a re-take. Gave character to the piece.

Reactions: 1911hombre
You could always tell when it was Dicky playing. He had a distictive tone with every guitar he played (prefered his gold tops). After Duane died, he had to take on the responsibility of being the front man in the band, which was no small task. I still consider the Filmore East album one of the "game changers" for me with live recordings.

Warren Haynes paid a great tribute to how much Dicky influenced his playing when he was invited to play in Dicky's band after the first split of the Allman Bros. His drug and alcohol (over) use, is ultimately what got him kicked out of the band for the last time. RIP

he was always,seems to me,the driving force and talent behind the band,one of the best ever. esp so after duane died. was never a greg fan.
he wrote "eliz reed" one of my 5 all time favs.

Hard to belive he was 80 yrs old seems like last week I was cruising down north Lamar in Austin texas listening to Allman Brothers band on my 8 track in my 69 f100 smoking a doobie.

Good ole Sunday mornin', bells are ringin’ everywhere. Goin’ to Carolina, it won't be long and I'll be there...

Last edited: