• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Did I fail the fusion test?

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    Hey guys,
    Went over to a dude I knows place to kill some racoons that have been eating his cantaloupes and while I schlepping my gear in I noticed something. I had my helmet on (MH25) and he has these little solar powered led lights everywhere to scare the critters off. What I noticed was that when I focused on a light with both eyes there was a separation between the thermal image and the naked eye aka they didn't overlay each other. Did my brain fail the fusion test or is that par for the course? Just curious and thanks for the info in advance!

Last edited:
    You need to train your mind into thinking that gap isn't there, kinda like how over time you forget you live next to a train track.

SJC

Reactions: nikonNUT
    true fusion like that is a fallacy at best bud. it doesn't happen like that.
    Good to know. As I am a complete nOOB can you expand on that? Is it naked eye versus eye looking at a screen or is there more to it? Very curious!

Even on the actual fusion systems (e.g. ENVG-B), there are two different sensors. They are not even designed to align properly until things are least 47 ft away* The closer you get with any system, the less they combine.

Your eyes CAN totally figure out that these are the same object, and perfectly align everything. When that happens: magic. I get it a lot, but not by default. I often instead get two slightly offset images and it works fine. Happier walking around with two bands than one.

Note that purpose built non-fusion night vision binoculars will generally be collimated to align better but also are probably not perfect; the two similar images are more easy for your brain to combine, to ignore the differences so you don't notice.

Which is the biggest part: If it bugs you, then you can't do fusion. If you can ignore it, all is good. All my friends are happy I have mine because they tried it and it bugs the hell out of their brains to have the two and not-quite-matched images.

* it is 47 ft, I have zero idea where that number came from, but it is the same for several systems.

^^^ what he said

If the I^2 sensor was somehow in the same location as the thermal sensor, then there would be no parallax and the overlay would be consistent regardless of range. But with that initial offset, anything that's fairly close will show an offset. For example, an E-COTI or Jerry on a set of binos works great, but the thermal overlay is shifted slightly because there's about a couple inches offset between sensors. At distance this isn't a problem because the incoming photons are essentially parallel, but up close they diverge and you get an overlay offset.

1695676433949.png

The longer the offset distance, the farther the sensor convergence.

It's like a GPNVG and an ENGV-B loved each other very much. See above the single thermal sensor:
    FPNVG_HQ_Web_PressRelease_May2022_1220x684_r1a_0.jpg

It's like a GPNVG and an ENGV-B loved each other very much. See above the single thermal sensor:
    FPNVG_HQ_Web_PressRelease_May2022_1220x684_r1a_0.jpg
    There’s literally zero difference between these and the L3 ENVG-B, as the thermal is only displayed on the right-front tube. The other three are NV-only (obviously). But they are awesome (had an ENG sample to play with for a short while). The thermal performance isn’t super-impressive, but they’re for CQ stuff so…

Having used or owned every fusion system known to man (including some prototypes never fielded), your eyes and brain are working just fine.
    @TheHorta I take issue with your assumption that my brain works just fine cuz it don't! :LOL: But seriously... I appreciate everyone's input! The wealth of information here is awe inspiring!!!

• Love
    Reactions: TheHorta
    Even on the actual fusion systems (e.g. ENVG-B), there are two different sensors. They are not even designed to align properly until things are least 47 ft away* The closer you get with any system, the less they combine.

Your eyes CAN totally figure out that these are the same object, and perfectly align everything. When that happens: magic. I get it a lot, but not by default. I often instead get two slightly offset images and it works fine. Happier walking around with two bands than one.

Note that purpose built non-fusion night vision binoculars will generally be collimated to align better but also are probably not perfect; the two similar images are more easy for your brain to combine, to ignore the differences so you don't notice.

Which is the biggest part: If it bugs you, then you can't do fusion. If you can ignore it, all is good. All my friends are happy I have mine because they tried it and it bugs the hell out of their brains to have the two and not-quite-matched images.

* it is 47 ft, I have zero idea where that number came from, but it is the same for several systems.
    this^^^

Reactions: nikonNUT
    They’ve actually been in development/testing since pre-Covid. I’m sure the units being deployed are more refined than the prototypes I fondled.
    Does ATAK work well now? I heard some guys were getting motion sickness with all that in their FOV (I’m hopeful the private sector has something like that someday)

Does ATAK work well now? I heard some guys were getting motion sickness with all that in their FOV (I’m hopeful the private sector has something like that someday)
    It was never hooked up for my tinkering, but the menus had various wired and wireless settings for bits like ATAK and RTA-type stuff. Basically lifted straight from the ENVGs