• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did i get a good deal ?

john_1182

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
australia, victoria
i was wondering around town today and stumbeled across some bulk projectiles at a crapy seccond hand place

150 grain
winchester power point
BC 2.7
frown.gif

but the kicker i paid $100 australian for 1200, but ended up with 2750 :), that is under 4c a projectile

so that makes a 39c for a .308 400 yard round
smile.gif

(30c power, varget (ADI 2208) $48 500g) 4c projectile and a 5c primer

what do you think was it worth it ? :)

Re: Did i get a good deal ?

Maybe you can polish them up and sell them for enough money to by 1000
projectiles of your choice. My garand would be happy to burp out those 150s

im running them through the tumbler as we spek, they have been in one hr and looking when i get out of bed in 6 hrs
frown.gif
ill have another look an dput the other half in

my net is crapping out atm when searching google, dose anyone have a price on prices for these projectiles form a shop or e-store? just curious..

They're a good deal for that price.

Take a magnet and figure out if there's any steel in it. Many of the FMJ's you find floating around there now have a steel jacket and are copper washed or plated. They're hard on a barrel, I don't feed them through my high end rifles, just the CR stuff that has military grade barrels.

Also, measure a handful of them and make sure that they're the right diameter you think they are. It could be that they're .310 diamtere instead of .308, which will give you a big suprise when you pull the trigger.

Additionally, if they are steel jacketed in either 308 or 310 they go for about 10c each in the US when you buy in bulk of 1k+

Copper jacketed goes for 15-17c each.

Personally, I'd keep at least 1k of them if they're not steel jacketed (or you have a rifle that you're ok with shooting the steel) because it makes really cheap blammo trigger time stuff. You don't have to use Varget to drive it either, the 150's are a pretty versatile weight as far as powder goes, lots and lots of powders work for that in a 308 or 30-06 sized round. You might be able to drop the "per trigger pull" cost significantly if you can get another cheaper powder.

My "plinker" 7.62x54R rounds for my Mosin Nagants run 10c per bullet, 4c per powder, 3c per primer, cases are about 1c each reload (assuming 10 reloads before it splits) So that's only a 18-20c per trigger pull round.

It's great for making my shoulder sore and shooting steel plates out to 400y with it.

i just realised i didnt say in th OP that the rounds are soft points, so i doubt they will eb steel jacketed, when i get home from work i will measure them up and make sure they are .308 and not .310

powder here is AUS is just so expensive its not funny, no one will even ship it, you have to pick it up at the door almost, at least the rep brings it to my local shop on his monthly visits so at least i can get some, the cheapest powder i could find was still the ADI 2208 "varget" @ 4 KG for $265 compaired to the 500 grams for $48

that works out to be 19c of powder per shot wich akes it me reasonable to shoot all round

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: john_1182</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just realised i didnt say in th OP that the rounds are soft points, so i doubt they will eb steel jacketed, when i get home from work i will measure them up and make sure they are .308 and not .310

powder here is AUS is just so expensive its not funny, no one will even ship it, you have to pick it up at the door almost, at least the rep brings it to my local shop on his monthly visits so at least i can get some, the cheapest powder i could find was still the ADI 2208 "varget" @ 4 KG for $265 compaired to the 500 grams for $48

that works out to be 19c of powder per shot wich akes it me reasonable to shoot all round </div></div>

Wow, your Varget is going for about what people are paying in the US for it where we can't get it.

Those SP's should be worth about 20c each in the US, the steel jacketed stuff tends to be the FMJ milsurp that was made by some country like Russia.

Sounds like you got a good deal, hopefully you can turn it into at least 1k of high quality bullets for shooting distances.

ive crunched some number at work on a online ballistics caculator at 2850fps the 150 grainers will be supersonic out to 800 yards with somewhere about 35 moa of elivation, so if there accurate enough they will do for hunting and cheap plinking to 800

ive finished tumbeling the prohectiles and there were only 75 that i wouldnt load and about 25 that were just tarnished. with a rough weighing of about 50 of the projectiles they all weigh between the 148.8 > 149.4 wich is good enough for me

cleand and hand sorted each round now, apxox 2200 excelent rounds 450 rounds with blemishes ok to shoot tho and about 150 are no good to shoot. so im still quite happy

when i get my rifle back from the smith ill have to see how they shoot