• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Did I get an unfinished drop in Shilen Barrel?

jeffm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2001
West Virginia
I just had a Shilen drop in barrel for a Savage 10 delivered. The barrel is not marked on the outside with the maker or the chamber, and there is no crown on the end of the barrel. The chamber is poorly marked on the breach with a hand engraver. The end of the barrel is finished nice, but it doen't have the little bevel cut right where the bullet leaves the barrel. Is this normal, or did I get a bad barrel? Is it normal for Shilen not to put their name on the barrel? It did came for a reputable dealer.

Re: Did I get an unfinished drop in Shilen Barrel?

Send it back,I will bet they shipped the wrong barrel to you.

They just engrave the breach end because there's no way of knowing where a stamped mark would be timed when headspaced. I've had a couple of them and seen a few others ... they all looked the same and shot well. I bet you'll be fine. Pics of the muzzle or other areas of concern would help.

Most of them I have seen you have to do the crown/muzzle end. I haven't ever used one but have seen a couple friends have ordered.

Why would Shilen put their name on the barrel when there are infinitely many possibilities on where their name would be placed on the gun? As you screw on your barrel, who knows how it will be timed. My barrel came with a chambering hand etched on the back end of the barrel. As for the muzzle, my Shilen barrel came with a nice target crown. If you want to put their name on it with the chambering, you can always punch it yourself if you really want. Just a heads up, manufactures also punch or roll the details on the barrel after assembly for this same reason. As for the muzzle, ass someone said above a picture of your crown will help.

My Kreiger Drop in A/R Barrel has the name stamped on it, It is covered the handguard, but I can remove it to prove to a buyer what it is. Also, most gun shops will not Buy, Sell, trade or pawn a gun that does not have the chambering marked on it.

I'm with Jeff. It's pretty easy to get the caliber stamp on the barrel where it can atleast be seen above the stock line.
I ibstalled a Shaw barrel and it was atleast stamped on the breach end properly, once it was on I stamped it infront of the lock nut as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Kreiger Drop in A/R Barrel has the name stamped on it, It is covered the handguard, but I can remove it to prove to a buyer what it is. Also, most gun shops will not Buy, Sell, trade or pawn a gun that does not have the chambering marked on it. </div></div>

That's because the barrel only goes on one way. That shilen could be turned any which way.

Here is the Shilen, below is my Hart Barrel. Am I correct to expect to see the bevel around the bore on the Shilen like the one on the Hart barrel. I guess I am second guessing myself.

Muzzlepictures002.jpg

Here is my hart barrel
Muzzlepictures001.jpg

What you have on you Shilen barrel is the crown that they put on them.

photo11-1.jpg

The crown on my Shilen select match in 25/06.

My shilen has the same crown as your hart barrel. But I guess they sell them both ways as some others have the same crown as you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the Shilen:
Muzzlepictures002.jpg

Here is my hart barrel:
Muzzlepictures001.jpg
</div></div>

The Shilen crown is actually better executed than the Hart crown.

I really appreciate the information. Thanks Jeff