• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Did I get lucky and not need to bed this mount, or should I do it anyway?

Leozinho

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
NoVa
I've got a Savage 110 and am mounting an EGW 20 MOA base.

I placed it on the receiver, and pressed on the front. Tapped on the base. It's not raised and appears to be making solid contact. I snugged the front two screws down, and tapped and otherwise prodded the rear. No discernible gap at the rear.

Did I just get lucky and happen to get one that was perfectly trued? Or am I missing something and just not noticing the play that's inevitably there and should bed the rear anyway? (It's a rounded receiver, so I wouldn't be able to see daylight unless there was a significant gap.)

Thanks.

Proper bedding is never a bad idea but it sounds like the stars have aligned for you.
Torque it down and drop a straight edge on it. If the rail it tight to the action and absolutely flat, I wouldnt worry about bedding it.