• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did i get scammed?

Here's some screenshots. Apologies to seller if my doubts are unfounded.

Attachments

• Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    202.2 KB · Views: 290
  • Screenshot (12)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (12)_LI.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 282
Just also noticed the paypal payment was a non us non verified address. Do peoples accounts get hacked here? That sure doesn't seem like a scammer account.

Just also noticed the paypal payment was a non us non verified address. Do peoples accounts get hacked here? That sure doesn't seem like a scammer account.
A couple months back a prominent member and moderator’s accounts both got hijacked by scammers so unfortunately yes it does happen from time to time.

those screenshots indicate the other party is a scammer. Sucks man. Did you connect your PayPal to your credit card by chance and use that for payment by chance?

Reactions: Baron23
A couple months back a prominent member and moderator’s accounts both got hijacked by scammers so unfortunately yes it does happen from time to time.

those screenshots indicate the other party is a scammer. Sucks man. Did you connect your PayPal to your credit card by chance and use that for payment by chance?
I did actually, paid by credit card. Already reported a problem, just doesn't seem right.

Reactions: Mr. Z
I did actually, paid by credit card. Already reported a problem, just doesn't seem right.
Good. At least you should have some recourse to recover your funds.

It’s obvious the “seller” has no clue how to speak English.

Hope you can get your money back.

Well good news, filed a claim with paypal and they instantly reversed the payment, apparently they had already flagged it as a suspicious transaction and were able to reverse it right away. Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.

Lucky you.

Quite a few red flags there.
1. Paypal name doesn't match the username (not always a surefire thing, but when people use actual names on forums they often tend to match payment)
2. The price of $500 seems too good to be true for a VX6 3-18 unless it was recovered after being hurled off a cliff.
3. The grammar is another. Check the user's previous posts. The grammar is typical for someone from the US. A sudden shift indicates yes, likely the dude's account was hacked or compromised. His profile says TX. That's not how we speak down here :)

Did you report the account/issue to mods? He currently has 2 other scopes for sale. He may not even know someone snuck in on his account and posted a fast cheap scam on his username.

Lots of these type ads steal images from the internet. Right click the picture and perform "search Google for image". If it returns a ton of the exact same, its good to start asking questions. The same goes for post text. If you copy the guys FS from his current ad, you will find the same scopes for sale on AR15.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonny_
Why do people keep using paypal instead of an escrow service?

Escrows are death to scammers.

Reactions: Speed
I probably wouldn't trust an escrow service to do anything but mess things up and destroy stuff.
I've had too many issues with "inspection services" breaking equipment and then trying to blame the sender for their own stupid techs that couldn't read a manual and busted stuff open.

I probably wouldn't trust an escrow service to do anything but mess things up and destroy stuff.
I've had too many issues with "inspection services" breaking equipment and then trying to blame the sender for their own stupid techs that couldn't read a manual and busted stuff open.

You don't have a clue of what you're talking about. Jesus fucking Christ........

Reactions: RTH1800
Have you used them in the past? How did you prove as the seller that the correct item was shipped and delivered to the buyer?

Reactions: W54/XM-388

I don't work for them nor have a stake in it.

And when the "Buyer" decides they want to reject it and sends you back a box of rocks or something completely different or missing a bunch of stuff or just wants to screw you over and make you pay a bunch of shipping both ways because they found a better price elsewhere?

I've been in the equipment selling business long enough that I really don't trust "buyers" to not be trying to scam you and most "protection services" eventually say FU to the seller and side with fraudulent "buyers".

Read the terms and conditions and all that you'll have to pay as a seller, if your buyer is a little bitch.

Sorry, not playing that game, like ever.

And when the "Buyer" decides they want to reject it and sends you back a box of rocks or something completely different or missing a bunch of stuff or just wants to screw you over and make you pay a bunch of shipping both ways because they found a better price elsewhere?

I've been in the equipment selling business long enough that I really don't trust "buyers" to not be trying to scam you and most "protection services" eventually say FU to the seller and side with fraudulent "buyers".

Read the terms and conditions and all that you'll have to pay as a seller, if your buyer is a little bitch.

Sorry, not playing that game, like ever.
I don't give a fuck if you want to keep ranting like an idiot about something you don't understand.

Have you used them in the past? How did you prove as the seller that the correct item was shipped and delivered to the buyer?

You need to go and read how the process works including the dispute resolution process. There are safeguard for the seller and the buyer during the dispute resolution process.

Sorry I don't have time to walk you through it. As I said, I don't work or sell for them.

Use it, or some other escrow, or use none at all. Doesn't affect me one way or the other.

I don't give a fuck if you want to keep ranting like an idiot about something you don't understand.

You need to go and read how the process works including the dispute resolution process. There are safeguard for the seller and the buyer during the dispute resolution process.

Sorry I don't have time to walk you through it. As I said, I don't work or sell for them.

Use it, or some other escrow, or use none at all. Doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Since you keep wanting to claim I have no idea what I'm talking about,

How much experience do you personally have with selling items to the public and dealing with fraudulent purchases where your "buyers" are trying to get free stuff by defrauding the sellers?

Have you ever actually used this service you keep saying is the greatest thing ever, as a seller?
Do you have any actual experience what the end outcome is if the buyer is trying to scam you and knows how to play the game?
Or like the vast majority of people these days, they break it and of course shouldn't have to live with their own mistakes so tough luck for you.

Have you actually read all the terms from that service you are promoting as they apply to sellers?
Like they want to have access to your bank account up front and have the right to take as much as they want out of your account even if you never get money sent?

Using "returns" and "consumer protections" to scam sellers is a multi million dollar business and gangs of crooks hire professional con artists to maximize their income. Read the terms and conditions of any service you are using, in the end all these "middle men" say deep down that in the end, it's screw the seller because it's easier to do.

I flatly refuse to use such services, if I'm selling something, I'll clearly list it and list pictures and details, if somebody wants to buy what I'm selling, they can be adults about it, and call or video chat or get more pictures or if they are really concerned get on a plane and come see it. Then I tell them my terms are very simple. I'll have it delivered to you / FFL insured with an adult signature required. You get 2 weeks after delivery to inspect it and such. If you don't like it for any reason, you can take care of making sure it's delivered back to me in the same condition I sent it out in, at your cost and then I'll refund you the amount you paid me, in the same manner you paid. Don't like it, want to be a whiny bitch about it, no problem, I don't need your money that badly, go buy it retail somewhere.

I can usually tell who has no clue about things by who seems to think all will be happy rainbows for the sellers...
You sell long enough, it's not if you will get ripped off by a buyer, but how badly and how much extra do you have to get from other sales to make up for it.