• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Did I just break my new GAP already?

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
Got my scope base today and I went to mount up my scope on my newly reworked Rem700 so I could take some pics and show off, and somehow I managed to break the rifle already.

I mounted the base and made sure the action still cycled OK (in case the screws were too long or something). No issue there. Then I mounted up the scope but didn't torque it down as I wanted to dry fire a bit to make sure the eye relief was correct. At that point I found that I couldn't close the bolt all the way any longer. What's even scarier (I think) is that it will actually fire with the bolt like this.

The trigger is a Rifle Basix that was on the rifle before it went to GAP. Supposed to be good stuff right? It must have jammed up again or something. I returned this trigger once before because it went from 2.5# to over 9# in the course of a day of shooting. It must be a bum trigger, right? I lock-tighted the base on there, that can't be the problem, right? oy.

Here is where the bolt gets stuck and will fire from:
stuck_bolt.jpg

Re: Did I just break my new GAP already?

look at the bolt removed for any markings from either the screw or any drip of locktite....

.....my offer is 100.00.....shipped

Just to confirm, are you sure the front screw(s) in the base aren't too long?

It looks like the scope base screw or the front action screw is too long.

I've had front action screws do this but you make no mentions of pulling the stock off in this time of closing to not closing.

Just a far out idea.... :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like the scope base screw or the front action screw is too long. </div></div>

+1. Make sure the front base screws and the rear base screws arent flipped around.

Simple fix as they all just said base screw is ti long!!

I pulled the base back off, no change. Maybe some locktight did fall into the trigger? I had the bolt out when I was mounting the base.

I'll have to pull it out of the stock tonight and see if anything looks wrong there.

It's just not been my week for mechanical stuff.

To be sure, remove the trigger group and soak it in acetone, to soften the loctite, then blow out with compressed air. Do this 2 or 3 times then lube and reinstall, dry fire.

With the base off and the trigger off it was still binding. I took some action blaster and cleaned out the receiver and a little sliver of metal came out, maybe 1/4" long with one end sorta curved then a sharp 90 bend and the rest of it mashed flat. No idea where that thing was wedged but clearly it was hung up on some sharp edge in there and not easily visible.

Now with it reassembled it's back to being perfectly smooth and locking up like you would expect.

Sorry for the false alarm, I would delete this thread if it would let me, if only to hide my own stupidity. Having just jacked up a die with a stuck case for the first time on Sunday I was starting to lose faith in my ability to do simple things. I'm not that old.

Any idea where the sliver came from? Might not be important for getting the rifle to function right now, but might be important later on...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea where the sliver came from? Might not be important for getting the rifle to function right now, but might be important later on... </div></div>

It seems like it's aluminum (doesn't stick to a magnet). I don't know of anything other than the base/rings and stock bed block that are aluminum. The AICS mag was new, maybe it came from in there? Or it's some crap picked up on the oil on one of the snap caps and got in when I was cycling the action?

It doesn't look like a broken part at all, just a shaving. I can take a pic when I get back home if anyone is really dying to see it.

Well I would by the piece of metal stopping your bolt from being able to cycle correctly. Maybe when you threaded in the scope base screws they pushed the sliver out of the receiver holes if they weren't chased previously.

Still though, you need to get that trigger looked at since it is not operating safely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I would by the piece of metal stopping your bolt from being able to cycle correctly. Maybe when you threaded in the scope base screws they pushed the sliver out of the receiver holes if they weren't chased previously.

Still though, you need to get that trigger looked at since it is not operating safely.</div></div>
+1 to my knowledge your trigger shouldn't allow you to fire with the bolt knob not fully rotated...

That was a suspenseful read! I can only imagine what it felt like to suspect your rifle to be broken. I'm glad it's fixed! I'm going to be purchasing a R700 as my first range rifle.

Jayne, dude, get a grip man.
smile.gif
You're making this WAY more difficult than it needs to be. Don't obsess about things that have little or no benefit. Save your time and money for ammo and practice!

Toss the damn snap caps in the garbage. They're worthless in your rifle. Dry firing isn't gonna hurt anything in your Rem Model 700. (I dry fire my rifles more than I shoot them with ammo, and some of my rifles have more than 2k rounds through them if that's any consolation...)

Toss the damn Loctite too. Torque screws properly, and you don't need Loctite. Hells bells, I put a bit of grease in the base and ring mounting holes, NOT LOCTITE, to ensure that the screws torque properly and that I can remove them later. Not once, never, have I had a screw come loose (on my rifles at least, mental situation is another subject).

Remove your barreled action from the stock. Work the bolt, and see if it binds. If it does not, then the culprit is the action screw(s). It's just that easy.

If you're near the SF Gay Area, PM me and maybe we can set up some range time. Part of the process is learning to avoid some of the stress that accompanies spending big bucks and WTF moments like you've described.

Could be somthing foreign in the Breach-Lug Area, Trigger/Sear Broke, the second from the front base hole would be the one everyone is concerned with check it for a broken screw or a bur inside.

Jayne, don't feel too bad as I got two cases stuck in dies this weekend...a 223 and a 308. I was pretty pissed to say the least and felt really stupid. I have not reloaded in quite some time and I am re-learning all the same mistakes that I made years ago. Anyways, I got them unstuck with lots of drill action, screwdrivers, hammers and small punch. It was quite a weekend so don't feel too bad. And, you redeemed yourself.

Ditto on the brain fart parade. Who knew that just a primer could propel a 6mm 90 gr Scenar down a 25" T2K bbl?

(While charging these handloads, I'd forgotten to move the funnel to the next -- empty -- case in the tray. So, one got double charges. Emptied it out, and then apparently seated the bullet without charging the case, at least as near as I can re-create the situation...)

Seated at the bench, the pipsqueak sound made by a primer-only is certainly different enough to make one wonder WTF? And in such situations, you should ALWAYS check the bore. I fully expected to see an obstructed bore, but luckily it was clear and the bullet went somewhere from 5' to 99y downrange -- because I couldn't see it on the ground nor did it hit the target.

Handloading is great. Be careful, be meticulous, check twice or three times, and load by yourself whenever possible. Having somebody else around can be a very big distraction. In my case, it must have been the voices in my head.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could be somthing foreign in the Breach-Lug Area, Trigger/Sear Broke, the second from the front base hole would be the one everyone is concerned with check it for a broken screw or a bur inside.</div></div>

Is it round/circular? Possibly the spring-loaded extractor clip that fits in the boltface?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could be somthing foreign in the Breach-Lug Area, Trigger/Sear Broke, the second from the front base hole would be the one everyone is concerned with check it for a broken screw or a bur inside.</div></div>

Is it round/circular? Possibly the spring-loaded extractor clip that fits in the boltface? </div></div>

he said it was non magnetic, that would rule that out. Sounds like a peice of aluminum broke off the dummy round. It worked fine and then stoved up while dry firing with dummys, Just somthing foreign in the breach area, Nothing broken at all.

....before Boltripper crams anything into a hole........i give it a once-over visual....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....before Boltripper crams anything into a hole........i give it a once-over visual.... </div></div>

Sits on hands... to easy...