• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Did I just buy a new stock?

proneshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
I have a Manners MCS-T. I should have bought an MCS-TA. Shoulda coulda woulda and all that.

A year ago I put on one of those cheesy Karsten cheekpieces and came to regret it. So looking around the pile of used junk I found a stock that I used to have on a Highpower match rifle. It had a nifty thumbwheel adjustable comb, like this:
http://www.masterclassstocks.com/photos/popup/mat048_lg.jpg

So I cut it out of the stock (it's epoxied in) and cut the comb on my Manners in a similar way to install this adjuster.

Now imagine my surprise when I finally take the comb off the stock, the filler is a soft, crappy foam like the one that comes in a can to seal cracks, rather than the hard, rigid fill that the action area and forearm have.

I'm pretty sure that if I mill this weak foam for the cheekpiece adjuster and epoxy it in, the foam around the epoxy will eventually fail.

Do I need to mill/dig out all this crap foam out of the buttstock and refill it with epoxy before milling a pocket for the adjuster?

I know there are at least two hide members who have done/do this so your advice is appreciated.

Honestly, call Tom Manners, he'll give you the down low on the best way to fix what's going on. Tom is one of the best guys in the industry to deal with, he'll help you out.

I might just do that tomorrow.

A part of me is ready to get busy with a die grinder and then with a can of Devcon 10110, but I'll see what Tom M and others have to say.

Proneshooter-that stuff has to be completely removed and replaced with solid material. I use bondo short strand filler and marinetex to get a solid foundation for the base to adhere to. Once cured, you can mill a slot for the base and glue it in. You would have to do the same to the top as well. Feel free to pm me with any questions

Now that's what I'm talking about. Stockdoc thanks for confirming my suspicion. How far off either side (fwd and aft) of the comb cutout should I dig out the old foam? I was thinking of going as far as I could reach with a dremel. I don't know how Manners attached the recoil pad but I think it's bonded on because there are no slits in the pad for screws.

I'm not a noob at stock work, just a noob at dealing with fiberglass stocks.

No need for a dremel. That stuff will come off w a razor knife and a scraper. I usually go all the way to the bottom. On the front i go to where theres solid fill. To the rear about an inch. The recoil pads are glued on btw.

Also rough up the inside after you have it hollowed out so your new material has something to adhere to.

Let me know if you need further info

Roger that Sir. I'll start digging and filling. I have a machinist friend who will help me with the inletting for the adjuster once the fill is complete.

Thank you

This is one of the reasons stockdoc has such a good rep around here, cause he's a good guy!

I haven't gotten around to sending any of my stocks to him but have no hesitation in recommending him