• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Did I screw my stock up??? new pics up

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
OK so I got a little carried away with the dremel tool and need some advice. I dug a small crater like spot on the composite part of my HS stock. I dont think this will be a big deal but wanted to make sure. Is there something I need to do to fix this before I bed it with devcon??? Pics are not great but I think you can see what I am working with. The little defect is on the left of the recoil lug slot. Thanks for the help.
Jake

2yjt4ee.jpg

2hnuvtl.jpg

20hro7b.jpg

2hi32tg.jpg

Re: Did I screw my stock up???

I cant make it out from the pics but I'm sure it will be alright with the bedding compound.It's stronger then the material you removed.

the bedding will fill that in, I wouldn't worry about when I bed I gouge up the area to bedded with a dremmel to give the bedding something to bite into

It is up above the aluminum bedding area. The area I messed up is the actually composite/rubber stock. Do I fill that area in with bedding material too???

Post clear pics, it will go a long way towards anyone being able to offer help.

It's trashed. Give it to me, I'll pay yer shipping expenses! If it's gonna be visible after the action ins in, fill with resin and paint. If not then the compound will be fine. Just be careful with those dremels. I thought I could work on my 1911 with out any practice using one. End result, needed a new slide. This was several years ago.

better pictures, I still don't think that will be a problem. I would just bed it like normal and then smooth that area back out when you pull the action after the bedding has cured, and be careful this time

This will be my FIRST bed job so I will work very slow and be super careful. Do I apply my devcon compund all the way up or keep it only on the aluminum bedding block? I think the answer is all the way up but want to make sure. Thanks for the help guys.

All the way up and apply masking tape to everywhere on the exterior you don't want bedding compund in the future.....

it's fine, just bed it normal. as stated above, the bedding is strong than the stock material.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This will be my FIRST bed job so I will work very slow and be super careful. Do I apply my devcon compund all the way up or keep it only on the aluminum bedding block? I think the answer is all the way up but want to make sure. Thanks for the help guys. </div></div>

You want the best f-ing tutorial on this site??? Check out the stock bedding threads by Scimitar and 7mmRM. They are pic heavy, thoroughly detailed, take all of the mystery out of it and, will help you out if you ask them.

Do yourself a flavor and check them out.

1) http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1066455

2) http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...true#Post951482

They helped me and I couldn't be happier with the results.