• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did I thwart a robbery?

armorpl8chikn

Colonel Angus
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2010
Face Slapping Distance
Guy at work says, "Well...looks like you are a hero." {Eyeroll}
Yeah yeah yeah, cute, pithy.

So I pop into my energy drink stop on the way to work.
In the door, scan store, meet eyes with hoodie dude and.....the other guy...gotta be PC here.

Go to back cooler, grab drinks, back to front less than 10 seconds. Hoodie stepping up to counter, I catch other guy in peripheral 10ft behind hoodie. I go a bit past floor display toward counter, notice other guy watching me intently. Slide back 2 ft, putting display solidly between us. Reach in front pocket finding my frigging Gerber...( Dipshit...I'm. A dipshit).
Hoodie guy asks clerk for something, cuts his head enough to catch me in his peripheral, then turns back to clerk. Other guy has me treed like a German shorthair.
Clerk tells hoodie they don't have that. I'm looking at the Pointer from under my hat brim, trying to keep them both in my sight. Pointer never takes his eyes off me. I back off another half step from hoodie. Hoodie asks clerk for something else, clerk says she doesn't have that, hoodie is irritated now cause clerk isn't "looking" for it. Hoodie stands there, cuts his head just enough to see me again without me seeing his full face, turns and fast walks out the door. Pointer never fucking takes his eyes off me as he slowly walks out the door.

I walk to counter, with my eyes on door, plop down my drinks and a 5 spot. The clerk is trying to talk me up about how strange that was, I just want to get the fuck out of there. She is trying to bag my drinks, I tell her leave it, no bag.
Fast walk to the truck, WHERE MY FUCKING G19 IS, crank up and drive around the store...they gone. They didn't come in a car, they had gone down the bank into the woods in the back.
I'm more than a bit embarrassed.
New rules.
1. Change into work clothes AT WORK.
2. CARRY ALWAYS. PREFERRABLY A PISTOL NUMBNUTS.
3. It's NEVER too much trouble to get heeled at home, then unheeled in the truck when safely at work.
4. Retire, then company policy means squat.

I have struggled with this as well. I always have a pistol/rifle in the truck but have been lazy with carrying in my person.

Now I am working on carrying something no matter how small it is.

I either go full size MP, CZ P01, or shield. Mostly the shield because it’s so easy to carry but need to carry the CZ mire due to having 14 rounds available.

Carrying something is better then. I thing though IMO.

??‍♂️ Maybe. Hard to discern general douchebaggery from imminent whatever.

The Most Interesting Man In The World 07102019214918.jpg

Dang.

Its very scary being caught off guard in a routine like that.

I hear ya. I cant carry at work. They say Im not supposed to have one in my truck on their property.
We have a duty to keep those around us and ourselves safe.
We know which one of those wins for us every time.

Best feeling in the world, seeing my wife come home from the store, and take off her rig. Stay strapped.

Quick story: We had gone to Reno for my weekend Reserve Drill. Stopped at a stop and rob on Virginia St, to get fuel, and check out the bow shop across the street. The bow shop was closed, so I just filled the tank, and ran in to pay the clerk, in cash. As I was leaving I brushed past, shoulder to shoulder, a guy coming in. Jumped in the truck, and drove a block or two to the motel. Checked in, and went straight to the room. Turn on the TV after dropping the first load, and go back out to get my hanging uniforms. Come back in and sit down to watch the news. The gas station is now surrounded by cops, with a hostage situation going on. I can see on screen into the station and there is the same guy that I brushed past, with a hostage, and a negotiator. Holy shit. I foget how it turned out but I think it all resolved and the guy got arrested with nobody hurt. You just never know.

Last edited:
Back when I worked it was federal property, sucked balls.

Swing by the house to get strapped before shopping for anything.

At work all I could do is keep a handfull of large tools within reach.

Boss would ask stupid questions as to purpose of large tools.

I would use the largest balpine hammer for the smallest of tasks just to piss him off.

I think he new exactly what it was for.

hear ya. I cant carry at work. They say Im not supposed to have one in my truck on their property.

You probably guessed my work has that policy as well. State law says my truck is my property, no matter where it's parked. So the corpulent prick HR director drew up a cute little policy wrinkle, that we all had to sign. It states that upon "suspicion" or "threatening behavior" or "language" or if someone reports you....blah blah. They will call in Barney Fife to do a search, and you will have to submit to said search. Of course several of us had a great deal to say about the legalities, "test case", there were protestations aplenty.
The HR director just gave that cocksucking dickfaced smile of his and said that was perfectly within our rights. Of course it's also immediate unemployment according to company policy.

Most of us don't pay it any mind.
Technically, it would be an excellent test case, but the paychecks will stop long enough to put anyone in the poorhouse.
I detest assholes who seek to make people helpless victims.
Me not being armed at the convenient store was on me, I'm not blaming the company for that.
I'm more free to tell them to pound sand than anyone I work with, so no excuses.

All told it could have been nothing.....but the Pointer sure was acting like he was the lookout....and the way he left was even stranger. He didn't move till hoodie was out the door.
Me, pointer, hoodie, were in a near perfect 10' triangle. 2 steps forward, and I couldn't see pointer clearly for the display. Where I was I could see both guys clear.
IMG_20191008_002529145.jpg

We are lucky in texas to have laws to keep employers from disarming your vehicle. That sadly does not apply to federal property.

The company had to eat shit at a satilite location off of federal grounds.
I laughed my ass off at the meeting.

My ex boss, a felon would chime in on politics and 2A rights and I would remind the crowd that felons could not vote or own firearms so thier opinions didn't matter much in our discussions.

I always have a gun in my truck, but I am lazy about carrying it on me sometimes. For me it is two factors that determine if I absolutely must carry 1. time of day and 2. location. When I go hunting I stop at this really nice gas/convenience store it's usually around 3:30ish am it's in a nice part of town, but because of the time of day I always carry. Sometimes my work requires me to work in some shady areas of town and I always carry no matter what time of day it is.

Good job on the situational awareness. I bet you won’t leave your piece behind in the truck anymore!

I’ve already accepted the fact of any denial of a vehicle search at work is an immediate termination. Tool boxes have wheels for a reason. I have a skillset that is rather portable anyway, so I’m not beholden to any single company for a paycheck. A job to me is nothing more than a trade agreement. They pay me for the use of my skilled labor - period. The company you work for damn sure has no interest in your safety away from the work premisses.

I have struggled with this as well. I always have a pistol/rifle in the truck but have been lazy with carrying in my person.

Now I am working on carrying something no matter how small it is.

I either go full size MP, CZ P01, or shield. Mostly the shield because it’s so easy to carry but need to carry the CZ mire due to having 14 rounds available.

Carrying something is better then. I thing though IMO.
My cz p01 is always there, except when it's the 220 or 460.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
In our industry we had a retirement plan, only reason I stayed at that liberal infested shit hole.

No retirement for new workers so when they get fed up they can roll with thier 401k. Place goes downhill everyday eventually will cave in.

Casing the joint, they was. First step in executing a criminal action, though these two sounded like they were well eager to skip the locker room and jump right into the pool. You being there, keeping a wary distance and maintaining close observation triggered something in their lizard brains that told them you might just be in a position to do something if they act up. Now if you pretended not to see them and continued acting like an unsuspecting customer, as many urban sheep would do in the same position, that situation might have turned out differently.

If something does not seem "right", it most likely is not. Glad it turned out the way it did and stay safe out there...

I hope reading this convinces those that carry just some of the time, based on time, location, percieved safety, to rethink that. Makes as much sense as only sometimes carrying a fire extinguisher or emergency medicine kit.

Glad it turned out the way it did. Not a comfortable situation to be in with just the Gerber.

I had a similar experience once, but was carrying. I still stayed where I had full view as best possible and met eyes. I think that seeing resolve in your set and eyes goes a long way towards prevention in many cases. Our corporate work policy is similar; grounds for termination etc., but fortunately, the boss is pro 2A, so there’s an unspoken agreement to not ask.

Just imagine owning a weapon for self defense, training, carrying it almost all the time. Then the one time in your that you need it, to save your or your loved ones life, unlikely as that would ever be, it's not on you.
I once had a discussion with a coworker about carry. He had all sorts of reasons for not carrying. During discussion, he said that banks don’t want you to carry, so he wouldn’t carry in a bank. He would feel self conscious there. I replied that that is exactly a place he should be carrying and that once you always carry, there is only awareness and no self consciousness.

I’m glad it worked out OK that time. The wolves are very wary of the sheepdog. Even a suspicion that you might be one will make them pass on fleecing the sheep.

I always carry.
We have “show and tell” at work almost every day because most of the crew carries too. Ours is NOT a gun-free zone.

Had a scenario sort of like this hit me over the head a few years ago. And this is coming from a guy that wears a gun for work, and knows up close how ugly things can be sometimes. It just made me feel even more ridiculous.

My wife had a work trip to San Antonio. Having never been, I decided to fly out with her and see the sights. At that point, I had never flown, checking a firearm. Ignorance and laziness. I own it.

The week was going great. 2nd to last night, she gets hungry pretty late. 10ish or so. There's a fast food joint a couple blocks away, so we decide to hoof it. As soon as we walk in, I clock 2 guys in wife beaters with both of their faces completely covered in gang tattoos and they are raising all Hell with the poor cashier about their ice cream. She looks terrified. My wife is deadlocked on these guys, having never seen anything like them before. Very briefly, I make her understand that staring at them is a bad idea. Feeling about as naked as the day I was born, I start scanning the room, looking for anything I could heave if it comes to it. Formulate a semi decent plan that I have some confidence in. Luckily, nothing happened. But it was way to close for comfort.

Spent the next few days beating myself up pretty badly. When I arrived home, I didnt even unpack before I went and picked up a G43, 2 taran mag extensions, pelican case and such. The backup I carry on duty belonged to my dad and I'm not willing to take a chance on losing it if at all possible. Started researching other carry options for every other scenario I could think of that I didn't normally go armed.

Now, I've got a little hill people gear chest rig that I use for running, a light iwb that doesn't drag my gym shorts down, and good comfortable options for any occasion. Call me paranoid, but I even carry in my home. I chose that because if TSA loses it, I'm out $400. That would suck a little, but not the end of the world. No sentimental connection.

End of the day, that's the closest I've been to feeling as though I failed to protect my wife and others from a potential threat and I'll absolutely not let it happen again.

Wife and I always carry . The only place I don't carry is government buildings .
Other wise posted or not . I carry everywhere . What people don't see . Doesn't concern them !
My work has a no weapon policy in the building .
But that is really just a lawyers cover their ass policy .
The top 3 management people are aware of my position on guns and are pro gun . One guy has more guns than I do . I helped him with his first AR purchase .
The policy only covers weapons in the building . No problem with weapons in vehicles or a folding knife in your pocket .
We are a small company and I have on two occasions walked inside , forgetting I still had my CZ P07 in my holster .
No harm , No foul .
Thing that really sucks is strapping on a cold pistol, in the winter . At the end of my work day for the drive home .

You probably guessed my work has that policy as well. State law says my truck is my property, no matter where it's parked. So the corpulent prick HR director drew up a cute little policy wrinkle, that we all had to sign. It states that upon "suspicion" or "threatening behavior" or "language" or if someone reports you....blah blah. They will call in Barney Fife to do a search, and you will have to submit to said search. Of course several of us had a great deal to say about the legalities, "test case", there were protestations aplenty.
The HR director just gave that cocksucking dickfaced smile of his and said that was perfectly within our rights. Of course it's also immediate unemployment according to company policy.

Most of us don't pay it any mind.
Technically, it would be an excellent test case, but the paychecks will stop long enough to put anyone in the poorhouse.
I detest assholes who seek to make people helpless victims.
Me not being armed at the convenient store was on me, I'm not blaming the company for that.
I'm more free to tell them to pound sand than anyone I work with, so no excuses.

All told it could have been nothing.....but the Pointer sure was acting like he was the lookout....and the way he left was even stranger. He didn't move till hoodie was out the door.
Me, pointer, hoodie, were in a near perfect 10' triangle. 2 steps forward, and I couldn't see pointer clearly for the display. Where I was I could see both guys clear.
View attachment 7160211
They can NOT force a search on you. LE won't comply (or shouldn't).
Besides, even if you complied, you are following state law, you may get fired, but then you have an excellent civil case and could break it off in their ass.

Sunday morning (end of beach weekend), I was in a restaurant with extended family. Old couple enters. He's wearing a shoulder rig. Not fastened to his belt, poor angle, no jacket. My 13 year old nephew asks if I still have my permit. I answer yes. He cuts his eyes to old guy. I point out the mistakes he made. I also point out that with these mistakes, at least it's not in the truck. Sister in law gets in on conversation. I ask if she noticed mine. She had not and was happy that i was carrying.

Can't even have ammo at work. When asked if I carry while working at night, I remind coworkers of the policy. I'll never admit to carrying at work.

Whenever I go somewhere carrying or not (or not is a small %)’ I always find myself looking around identifying all potential weapons. For two reasons. To see what can I use and what can be used against me. Strange, maybe, but it’s just a habit.

Never used one but I would if needed. I figure awareness is not paranoia. In today’s world you need to be ready.

The point is, almost everything is a weapon. The most powerful often is your mind.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Whenever I go somewhere carrying or not (or not is a small %)’ I always find myself looking around identifying all potential weapons. For two reasons. To see what can I use and what can be used against me. Strange, maybe, but it’s just a habit.

Never used one but I would if needed. I figure awareness is not paranoia. In today’s world you need to be ready.

The point is, almost everything is a weapon. The most powerful often is your mind.
While that’s Very true.... I prefer weapons that deliver at a distance, and that generally have some shock and awe value - even if that’s only for my personal enjoyment.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Part of town doesn’t matter. I was at a subway that got robbed right after i left in the best part of town.

I was IN a gun store, at closing time, lady next door runs in crying that 2 armed men just robbed her! decent part of town.

Once on vacation i am sure i stopped a robbery, nobody in the whole place paid any attention, except one waitress and all she thought was “that was weird”. Ugh. I had my pistol in my luggage, as i had just got off the plane. Damn was i ever beating myself up over that STUID lazy idea. Never again.

I carry all the time, its easy since i work for myself but I have to pocket carry because construction work requires too much movement and my gun would always stick out. Carry a diamondback 380, not a heavy hitter but still would not want to be shot with it at close range.

Fortunately in Texas your employer is forbidden from forbidding you to have a gun in your car in the parking lot if you have a carry license with a very few exceptions.

Evil greedy corporations these days prefer if their employees get killed as it's less worrying for the vile bean counters than if they defend their lives.

Id much rather get fired than watch my coworkers murdered when there was something i couldbhave done(ignore policy). I work construction and can carry appendix with micro compact or compact plus a spare mag. So you guys can do it too. Just don’t cheap out on the holster.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Direct eye contact / staring, pisses off a felon that has served time.

F them.

Fortunately in Texas your employer is forbidden from forbidding you to have a gun in your car in the parking lot if you have a carry license with a very few exceptions.

Evil greedy corporations these days prefer if their employees get killed as it's less worrying for the vile bean counters than if they defend their lives.
Marathon Oil tried pulling the no guns or contraband in our POV's at the refinery in Canton Ohio.
That lasted about 30 seconds into our meeting while management started passing out the handouts.
Needless to say they were very disappointed.

Tennessee is another state with a similar law protecting storage in a personal vehicle on company property.

Reactions: Snuby642
In our industry we had a retirement plan, only reason I stayed at that liberal infested shit hole.

No retirement for new workers so when they get fed up they can roll with thier 401k. Place goes downhill everyday eventually will cave in.

sounds exactly like the place i work.

And as another said, they tried to tell us that no weapons are allowed in vehicles.....didnt even let them finish the sentence when i advised them that is in direct violation of state law. I then asked who’s name i attach to this when i call....that was the end of that.

Last edited:
Home from work. Playing with the pup. Take my hat off. Didn't even think about the hat I was wearing.
Reckon the Pointer could read Latin?
View attachment 7160263

I'll make another embarrassing admission.....
It's not the worst part of town, but its in the top 5. I knew better.

I will say this... even though you were not strapped they knew enough from watching YOU watch THEM with your hand in your pocket. Your awareness made it a decision point for them... they decided that this is not a good situation to go through with what they were planning.

Reactions: lash and Snuby642