• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did Lapua just discontinue 6.5 CM Small Primer Brass?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Hey boys,

Just had something weird happen today. I just bought my first 6.5CM, and I ordered 200 pieces of Lapua small primer brass from EuroOptics yesterday to start reloading, and I got an email from Euro today stating that this brass has been discontinued…..

My brass is on the way, but I called Euro and they don’t have any idea why Lapua discontinued it….

I hate that I spent 233 dollars on brass that’s obsolete….anyone here have any leads on what’s going on with Lapua?

Thanks!

1708469906304.jpeg
    IMG_8661.jpeg

6mm cm is the same way. Try finding alpha. I love lapua brass but it’s looking like we will have to find another brand.

The article on their site hasn't been updated but likely caught up in the same situation.

Not long after they put this up, some of these cases have been stocked, and restocked again at graf’s.

They discontinued alot of brass that wasn't on the top of the popularity scale. SR primed cases were among those. Probably for a reason.
    I have all I need, and will buy no more, even if available.

I did a test and got worse accuracy, less velocity, (so ya gotta add a bit more powder for the same velocity), plus larger velocity spreads with Lapua SR primed brass, in 308.

Although it has shot some good groups in both 6.5 CM and 308. LR primed is more consistent for me, as case capacity may be too large, or borderline, for SR primers to have very consistent ignition, depending on powder, temperature, etc.

Reactions: lash
    I did a test years ago with LR and SR.. small was on average 12fps slower.

I have 6x47lapua LR brass now. Wildcatted down.

I can tell y’all that if I had the opportunity to purchase 6.5CM Lapua Large Rifle Primer brass, I would have. It’s just sold out everywhere I looked in the US.

I shoot 6.5X47 Lapua with small primers, but have much more large match primers for reloading.

I did get the brass I ordered from Euro today. They came in cardboard boxes. I’m thinking that what likely happened is that the old part number with plastic boxes was likely discontinued….

Hey boys,

Just had something weird happen today. I just bought my first 6.5CM, and I ordered 200 pieces of Lapua small primer brass from EuroOptics yesterday to start reloading, and I got an email from Euro today stating that this brass has been discontinued…..

My brass is on the way, but I called Euro and they don’t have any idea why Lapua discontinued it….

I hate that I spent 233 dollars on brass that’s obsolete….anyone here have any leads on what’s going on with Lapua?

Thanks!

View attachment 8353948View attachment 8353951
    It's not obsolete since it is superior to large primer brass.
    Secondly if properly annealed 200 pieces will outlast the life of your barrel.

Sometimes the retailers discontinue so they don’t show the pricing increase. Midway has done that with primers, for example. That way they can repost it with 100% markup and “here you go.” Walla.!!

It's not obsolete since it is superior to large primer brass.
    Secondly if properly annealed 200 pieces will outlast the life of your barrel.
    I actually did a small test in my 308 with Lapua Palma SR and Lapua LR brass. I also have both in 6.5 CM but did the test for 308.
    I found actually found Lapua SR to be inferior to LR cases. The SR had higher S/D, worse accuracy, and a bit less velocity with the same powder charge...you'd have to add a few tenths grain to the powder charge for equal velocity.
    Results would imply, one should test the brass with your rifle and it's barrel, to see which is better.
    Some will say SR cases handle high pressure better, but .0175" increase in wall thickness of brass ain't gonna do much. Slightly thicker than most the case necks, will yield easily to the high pressures, so only a slight positive benefit may occur here, but ya need more powder under the SR primer to get the velocity, and pressure equal to LR to make a valid test. If using the same charge weight you'd be just running slightly less pressure in the SR cases, giving the illusion of a few extra firings per case life.
    Gonna run high pressures, get hybrid cases.

Small rifle primers are all that is available for the most part unless you got your own private stash. The war in Ukraine has completely screwed over most Americans. Being the USA can’t even keep their own artillery shells replenished all the American companies are doing what they can cash in on the big defense contract checks. The commoners get to get to pay for it with our taxes, and “we” because that’s the middle-class that’s paying all the taxes, pay for it by not having any sort of primers that we need.
    And for all those to say well, you don’t need that stuff I beg to differ when all the hoodlums can’t even get it together to go to Six Flags for a day without ganging up, beat each other up, stabbing each other, and shooting each other up… and you wonder why people that are hard-working and are not hoodlums don’t want anything to do with these inner-city Black neighborhoods and that isn’t racism. That’s just fact.

I actually did a small test in my 308 with Lapua Palma SR and Lapua LR brass. I also have both in 6.5 CM but did the test for 308.
    I found actually found Lapua SR to be inferior to LR cases. The SR had higher S/D, worse accuracy, and a bit less velocity with the same powder charge...you'd have to add a few tenths grain to the powder charge for equal velocity.
    Results would imply, one should test the brass with your rifle and it's barrel, to see which is better.
    Some will say SR cases handle high pressure better, but .0175" increase in wall thickness of brass ain't gonna do much. Slightly thicker than most the case necks, will yield easily to the high pressures, so only a slight positive benefit may occur here, but ya need more powder under the SR primer to get the velocity, and pressure equal to LR to make a valid test. If using the same charge weight you'd be just running slightly less pressure in the SR cases, giving the illusion of a few extra firings per case life.
    Shoot, I didn’t know that the small rifle primers were not as accurate but, most of my small rifle primers will be going in the AR 10 6.5 cm platform, and if I do training with rapidfire, i’ll go through all my large primers rather quickly…
    And when no large primers are around…… I have plenty of large rifle cases and not many small rifle. I just ordered up 150.. so I don’t think I’ll be too much overdoing it, but that’ll make my total to 300 new small rifle cases total but they’re all Starline brass . Not 200$ for 100 cases. I’ll save the large primers for my 300 PRC and Lapua cases to which I paid only $100 for 100 which was a steel in my humble opinion.

Lapua brass with small primers has 1.5mm( 0.060") flash holes instead of the standard 2.0mm (0.080") flash holes.
    That is what supposedly helps in keeping the primer pockets tighter.
    This may or may not be true.

I typically run my low node which is 2668fps.
    It's been good to me out to 1,000 which is the furthest I've shot to.

Its not to do with keeping the primer pocket tight, its to do with pressure of the cartridge.

as a side effect it covers the flow modulus of the primer cup, or more generally "to prevent the primer popping from deformation".

Its to help stop the primer flowing between the nose of the firing pin, and the hole itself. Ever seen "volcano" or donuts on your primer ? Thats the issue.

I have lots of both Lapua SR and LR in 6.5 CM and 308 Win. Lapua LR brass takes pressure well in 308 Win where I've used a 5 gallon bucket of brass. When I was concerned about it, and kept good records the LR primers would take around heavy 40 reloads, without annealing once. I have some good groups with SR but after recent test comparison, I will be personally sticking to LR, even though I have quite a few new boxes of SR cases. So I won't miss them if they are not available...as I have a lifetime supply. The hybrid cases will take the pressure if ya like 3156 fps in a 24" barrel, with 140gr 6.5 CM bullets, but give a nice safety margin for normal loads pushing to the next acccuracy node.
    And they beat out both SR & LR Lapua cases in a 230 gr SMK 308 Win accuracy test.

Reactions: iceng
    I have lots of both Lapua SR and LR in 6.5 CM and 308 Win. Lapua LR brass takes pressure well in 308 Win where I've used a 5 gallon bucket of brass. When I was concerned about it, and kept good records the LR primers would take around heavy 40 reloads, without annealing once. I have some good groups with SR but after recent test comparison, I will be personally sticking to LR, even though I have quite a few new boxes of SR cases. So I won't miss them if they are not available...as I have a lifetime supply. The hybrid cases will take the pressure if ya like 3156 fps in a 24" barrel, with 140gr 6.5 CM bullets, but give a nice safety margin for normal loads pushing to the next acccuracy node.
    And they beat out both SR & LR Lapua cases in a 230 gr SMK 308 Win accuracy test.
    What are these hybrid cases you speak of?

Here is a picture of hybrid cases.
    And a ladder test running 140 gr to 3152 with this test powder. They are 6.8 X 51 military cases that run at high pressure, and reformed to civilian cartridges like 358, 308, 6.5 CM, 8.6 blackout for more performance.
    The best powder for the 6.5 CM hybrid case was RL 26 and 150 gr SMK at 3000 fps, accurate and fast.
    Step down to the 140 for 3150 fps...but ya don't have to run them here...they give extra protection for the normal handloader pushing the limit, with normal brass cases hitting the next accuracy node.
    It's just a newer military development, available to the public, for those interested.

Attachments

• 20230531_144705.jpg
      20230531_144705.jpg
      645.6 KB · Views: 17
    • 20240102_152143.jpg
      20240102_152143.jpg
      486.7 KB · Views: 19
    They are not "new", but new to being civilian accessable.

Also, just be aware that yes the new case doea take much higher pressure, and does last longer in some ways, however excessive pressure will give case growth, so requires more trimming, which ends up making walls thinner (the growth material has to xome from somewhere), and remember that many actions are NOT rated to 80kpsi, so making stupid hotrod rounds has potential to cause damage to lugs.