• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Did we already do the SIG 320 vs Glock 19 Gen 5 discussion?

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
Did we already do the SIG 320 vs Glock 19 Gen 5 discussion?

If so, what were/are your thoughts?

I have a Gen3 G19, and a SIG320, and like them both.

Not a fan of multiple magazine requirements for home or vehicle defense, or concealed carry.

Should I narrow it down to one system (as in get all 320s or all Glocks)?

Is the GEN5 G19 the be all and end all some claim?

I have not owned a p320 but have shot several of the variants over the years. I can shoot the 320’s more accurately than the g17/g19 when just static shooting for groups or precise shot placement. That being said, i shoot the g17/g19 better when shooting drills and longer strings if fire. It is probably because i have more time on the glocks. I own mostly glocks because i carry a g17 on duty and I prefer to conceal carry similar platforms and also the magazine interchangeability as well. From glock specifically i own a g45, g19, and a g43x. All these pistols have a rds as i have recently switched over to using a rds for CC. The g17 is issued to me but i can shoot it and train with it as much as i please so it gets thrown in the rotation regularly….
I have no input on what platform is better for a person to own/carry but in my opinion the glock has been around a lot longer, proven itself in both military and LE applications longer than the Sig, and the g19 has been known as the standard for CC for years before the p320 line came out and in most circles is still considered the same. With all that being said, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

I like cheap and available...yes it does apply to many things. I got P320 AXG and a P320 FCU for another "build". I got a bunch of mags cheap from a forum cause I couldn't find them in any store.

Which one of the two pistols best suits you??

the sig 320 belongs in the trash....along with every thing else sig is currently making.

buy it right the first time and just buy the Glock.....the Gen 5s dont even have the finger grooves, so there are no longer imaginary problems that to make excuses about.

You have both? Keep both and buy more magazines? I'm very uninspired by gen3 Glocks but they aren't all that different from Gen5's. I have a Gen3 G19 and a Gen5 G45 (still my favorite Glock, but it's also nothing special aside from a full size grip and compact slide). I wouldn't sell either, just keep them and use whichever one you prefer.

The gen 5 Glocks are fucking awesome. I just switched back to them, from P320’s and P365’s actually. I like the P320 platform a lot and I believe with the manual safety it’s a safe and reliable gun, but I had mag issues and Sig were dicks about it. They didn’t want to replace 4 mags that wouldn’t hold the full capacity despite leaving them loaded, cycling them, and all the other sorcery you have to do to get the full count in them. They said that’s too many and unheard of to have that many bad ones (doubt most people are buying 50 of the things like I did), then I discovered how badly the mags rust and that sealed the deal for me to dump them.

IMO the only thing keeping the G19.5 MOS from being absolutely perfect is the lack of a thumb safety but I know that I’m in the minority when it comes to people wanting those so I’ll deal with it.

Reactions: pineoak and st1650
I would figure out which one you shoot the best and stick with that system. I recently switched from Glock to the 320 series because I shoot the sigs better without having to make all kinds of mods to them. to me the Sig 320 full TXG and X-five Legion shoot better than any Glock I have ever owned including purpose built comp 34s and 17s.

I'm primarily a handgun shooter and have been for 23 years. I train regularly and shoot a lot. I'm extremely practical about everything I do.

A few years back I was looking for a new carry gun and the VP9 was new and all the rage. I've always been an HK fan and although I've had a few Glocks over the years, I was never fond of their triggers. The VP9 got great reviews and because of it's early popularity it received good after-market support. I bought one, a good holster, a bunch of a mags, and weapon light. It has served me exceptionally well. But here I am now. Looking at improvements in IWB holsters, and new weapon lights on the market - and an almost non-existent market for the VP9 since the buzz has died. Much of the newest gear isn't made for the VP9 or the VP9 variant comes much much later.

If I had to buy a pistol weapon system today, there are only two choices, Glock and P320 (and I only list P320 because of the military adoption which will keep it thriving, if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't consider it at all).

Now, back in April, I was taking a vehicular dominance course with Rune Nation in New Hampshire, and we were running buddy drills (shooting in and around vehicles with another armed companion). A bunch of us were watching these two guys run the course when one ran out of ammo entirely. Communication was an important aspect of the training, so he yelled out, "I'm out". His partner on this run, a random dude from the class, continued firing strong-hand only and just pulled out another full-size Glock 17 mag and flung it towards his partner. Dude was back in the fight with his Glock 19. A number of us laughed for a few seconds but then it hit us that we just witnessed one of the best possible arguments for running a double-stack Glock - the magazine interoperability and the fact that just about every one else runs a Glock. When the SHTF, and you need a magazine, a Glock mag is going to be far easier to come by than anything else.

So for me, Glock all the way.

I say neither. I like the new Walther PDP and HK VP series better than either. I own a tricked out Glock 34 and I just can’t get past the lousy tigger. It’s a Taran tactical trigger job and it’s miles better than stock even the new Gen 5 models. It all comes down to what you like and what you shoot the best. I generally gravitate towards 1911/2011 or HKs because I shoot them the best and they are reliable. I have a Sig M17 army issue and it’s nice but I still prefer the HK.

Reactions: Ledzep
I say neither. I like the new Walther PDP and HK VP series better than either.

Yup...

Don't get me wrong, a Glock is a Glock and they work, and they're reliable, and they're a standard etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.... The 320 feels much better to me, but I'm in the camp that doesn't really trust what Sig is currently putting out there from a reliability standpoint. I'm not saying they're all shit, just that I've seen enough issues that I'm gun-shy. Glocks feel like shit-- all generations, and I'm one of those guys that will bitch about the 2x4 grip and grip angle every time I grab one. Sue me.

The VP9 feels great, has a good trigger, shoots well, points well, and is reliable & made well. Just don't go throwing them at steel plates...

Shirley, this is a serious question...ill stop fucking around.

Bought this in May and fell in love.......

nc2HXapl.jpg

Bought this in June to keep it company.....

HQdWaPPl.jpg

Reactions: nikerret and redx
Why the thump safety?

Cause the military said so.........

Im hearing they train without using it though.

I am an adherent to the idea that the trigger is the only safety required but when it comes to striker guns the idea of the hinged trigger or thumb safety is not a bad idea at times.

I used the M18 in one class and the thumb safety was second nature, being used to 1911s, so I used it. Kind of wish if they were going to install one they had at least put one on that was a hair or two bigger. Would probably be non functional with gloves and firing a limited number of rounds. In class I found it sharp and painful on my soft and delicate dick skinners.

Thing about striker guns and condition one 1911s its always in the back of my mind that everything is dependent on that small steel to steel interface that keeps the firing pin/hammer in place yet under spring tension.

I guess there is more to it than that if you have a firing pin block as most of these do but still that little nagging thought every once in a while wondering if the MIM mold filled the sear surface completely or left a weak spot.

18 hours wearing it today.

I have the RMR on hand but have dragged my feet on the correct plate replacement since being sent the incorrect one by CHPWS. It’s the one I want, they just pointed me towards the wrong one…

AED54C92-91D0-4DBE-A0B1-82A9D1FA4A7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Those Wilson lowers look to have fantastic ergonomics.......and I already love the feel of both my guns in their factory frame.

Those Wilson lowers look to have fantastic ergonomics.......and I already love the feel of both my guns in their factory frame.
Old thread but yeah the Wilson grips are 100% worth it. The X grips are good but the Wilson are better IMHO.

Reactions: softcock
Use whatever platform passes the blind pickup and point test for you. The Sig P320 grip ergonomics will have me raising up the muzzle in order to even find the front sight. A standard Glock grip will have my front sight way above the rear sight.

For my Glocks, I take the thickest beavertail backstrap and cut the bottom half off just below the middle ridge. This adds grip circumference only on the top half of the grip and brings the muzzle down just perfect for me. I can pick up my Glock or 1911 and they will point just as naturally as if I pointed my index finger at the target.

As far as stock triggers go, Glock triggers suck right out of the box. The stamped metal trigger bars need polishing on all interfacing surfaces. Fortunately, there is 20+ years of aftermarket support and R&D on the Glock platform, so its not hard to figure out what you can do and still remain 100% reliable. I run a Ghost 3.3lb connector and grind the overtravel stop on it all the way back to where it doesn't do anything. This connector usually provides for a 4.5lb trigger pull at the middle of the trigger shoe with a stock weight striker spring. I run a reduced power 4.5lb striker spring for a 3.5-4.0 lb trigger pull and have no problems lighting off standard pressure self defense ammo.

I am late to the party. I switched from Glock 19s (which I still own) to CZ P07s. I like the P07s better. However, I just picked up a Sig P320 Pro RXP Carry LE. Out of the box I am impressed. It comes with the Sig red dot and that has a metal shield over it. I just recently got it, so I have not put it through it’s paces, but the fit on it is better than a Sig P239 that I have that was made in the US. That thing rattles like crazy.

The trigger has some take up, but breaks clean and is repeatable. Came with three mags too. It cost me $806.00 and for the price it a good deal. For a my glocks in the past I had to have the slide cut and purchase a RMR, plus get some more mags. I did buy a G19 Gen5 and it doesn’t compare to the Sig I just got.

Reactions: Bluedog82
As a test and development engineer (the hands on breaking stuff kind, not the desk jockey kind) I don’t trust anything Sig makes until I’ve proven that sample for myself. Strike one.

I had a couple of the 320 pistols, and really liked the fit and feel of the compact model. Just a nice grip shape. The stock trigger wasn’t great (neither is a Glock), but the Greyguns upgrade felt pretty good. The nice feel didn’t translate to better results on target though; probably because I have more time with Glocks at speed, but even in slow fire the 320s didn’t give me any advantage.

But the POI was low compared to any other pistol. Sig loves that stupid “combat hold” where the sights cover the target. I see no good reason to have a pistol that shoots lower than all my others, but the dumb sights for them were around $100, and it was questionable if I could get POI high enough anyway. Strike two.

Another minor quibble was the ballistics. Maybe specific to my sample, but the compact model (slightly bigger than a G19) ran the same ammo about 100 fps slower than any of my Glocks if similar barrel length. Not a big deal, but why give up something for nothing? Strike three.

Accuracy was a wash with my Glocks, no winners there except the better aftermarket Glock barrels, but that’s not a fair comparison. Sig made the 320 barrel diameter smaller than Glock did, leaving very little room for a shoulder for threaded barrel suppressor use. Point to Glock. Simplicity of the internals - point to Glock.

Overall, while my 320 pistols weren’t trash, I struggled to find anything to commend them over a Glock 19 except the feel in the hand. Not being a Sig fanboy, I saw no reason to keep them.

Personally for me, if I were to switch to a different striker fired pistol from Glock for better feel and accuracy, it’d be to my Canik TP9SFx, or some smaller version of same. Accuracy is better than any of my Glocks or 320s, and the trigger (with very minor improvements) is better than any other striker pistol I’ve tried. But I’m not convinced it’s as safe for carry, therefore a Glock 19 is in my belt.

And FWIW, Gen 4 or 5, either way depending what you think about finger grooves. The internals are different, but not in a way that functionally matters IME. Take your pick.

I have a Gen3 G19, and a SIG320, and like them both.

Not a fan of multiple magazine requirements for home or vehicle defense, or concealed carry.

Should I narrow it down to one system
(as in get all 320s or all Glocks)?

Easy to say now but, P365 up to P365 XMacro.

Keith