• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did you sell your 10/22s after buying a .22 upper?

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
Been going back and forth on PCP airgun or rimfire plus can, and have been interested in getting a decent upper because most of my other guns are uppers as well. Since, like every other shooter in the US, I have some 10/22s, i was wondering if anyone had gotten rid of their 10/22s after shooting an AR upper in .22LR. I know that the 10/22 would be lighter, but is/was the extra weight in exchange for ergonomics/similarity enough to sell out?

Re: Did you sell your 10/22s after buying a .22 upper?

No I can't imagine parting with any of my 10/22's.

3 shooters, 6x 10/22s, 2 AR22s of the kid's, but my own 2 M-4 plinkers, two service 22s, and a MK12 SPR MOD O .22.
I can't let either SR to go away.'
The 21 1/2" 10/22 is for Sportmans Cham Team, silhouette, and a 40X. the the MK12

Sold my 10/22 build to pay for a 22 conversion kit for my FAL ... so while I don't have an AR type, yeah, I sold the 10/22 to get with a conversion...

No way, I saw a guy shooting one at the range just not for me. Besides my(grandson's) shoots lights out.

Really enjoy my Nordic .22 upper... Don't personally own any 10-22's, but the stock ones don't really doit for me. You would have to pump some extra $$ into one for it to get my attention.

I have a Nordic upper and 2 10/22s one with a LVT 20"varmint weight barrel, the other with a 24" 77/22 VBZ barrel and McMillan stock, both better shooters than the Nordic (Not a bad shooter). These guns are very versitile, you can make one into anything you want. You should never be without one

I kept my 10/22's. I just can't seem to part with such a reliable .22

My S&W M&P 15-22 isn't a conversion, but it's now the only semi auto 22 I own. Sorry you had issues with yours, mine shoots lights out! I was glad to sell the rugers.

Different strokes...

I have owned several 10-22s over the years. But I never tried to turn my 10-22 into a tactical rifle. Like most 10-22 fans I have replaced the barrel and upgraded the trigger but it's walnut stocks and classic lines for the 10-22. More recently I picked up a S&W MP 15-22. It's a great lightweight AR knockoff. An ammo blaster - lots of fun @ the range.

I like them both and have no interest in selling either rifle. They serve different purposes.

No, it was sold because I have a 597 that outperforms it. I would never sell a 10/22 for any upper OTHER than a CLE. I've never seen an upper that costs less than the above shoot to the equal of a < $500 modded Ruger.

No. My 10/22 is a trainer for the M1/M1A. GI sling, M14 front sling swivel, buttstock extention, Tech Sights and I use a 10 round magazine that operates the 10/22 magazine release by me grabbing the magazine like and M14 magazine and using my thumb to squeeze/push up on the magazine's magazine release. It is very much like my M1A (feel wise) when I'm firing sitting or prone. I don't really notice a recoil difference anyway (M1's, M1A's don't kick - that old Springfield 03 kicks, my Ithaca M37 with duck loads kicks, the big heavy semi auto rifles don't kick, much).

That little 10/22 is what I start people out on before I let them shoot an M1 Garand.

I hate my 10/22, think about selling all the time. will not dump money into it. I wanted one forever and have no idea what people see in them.

My S&W 15-22 on the other hand is awesome. ultra reliable, and accurate enough for me (better than the 10/22 in both regards) a golf ball at 50 yards is easy. Other than a cheap red dot have done nothing to the S&W.

Thanks for the opinions guys, wanted to pose two more questions, one brought up by fngmike

1. Is your .22AR lighter than your bull barrel 10/22?
2. Is your AR more accurate than your 10/22?

1: yes
2: yes

2ndamendfan, what kind of groups are each getting, and what upper are you using?

Way cheaper to get a 1/2"@50yd 10/22 than AR upper that accurate. You could imitate any AR weight with a 10/22 with the proper barrel. I had a 24" bull barrel on mine to be a trainer for my RRA 24" Varmint. I put in a Bell&Carlson thumb hole stock. Made a good trainer for the AR

I recently got my first 10/22. It could have a better trigger and it isn't accurate as a bolt, but it is a great survival rifle. Definitely a great shtf backup gun. Got the all-weather/stainless synthetic + ATI pistol grip adj. stock + cheap red dot + extra mags all for around $350. It shoots 2moa w/ a 5moa dot at 50 and 100 yards - good enough to put down small game if needed for food.

I won't be parting with it - as many have said, selling a gun, even to get another, just ain't gonna happen here.

D.

I like my AR 22 Upper, but I will never sell my 10/22.

The wife got my 10/22 with a new folding stock
smile.gif

i too like my tacsol dedicated upper and use my supressor on it(kids love it!!!), but no way would i get rid of my stock or custom 10/22's unless i could only have one and then it would be my kimber bolt gun i kept!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the opinions guys, wanted to pose two more questions, one brought up by fngmike

1. Is your .22AR lighter than your bull barrel 10/22?
2. Is your AR more accurate than your 10/22? </div></div>

1) No, it wasn't but in all fairness I only opened up the barrel channel on a deluxe model walnut stock when I put on .920 GM barrel on.

2) No, it definitely was NOT. I had a bull barrel DPMS model (discontinued) through Midway. It was no where near as accurate as my 10/22.

Again in fairness another person reported accuracy problems with his and sent it back and DPMS corrected it somehow. I just got disgusted wasting $350 on the upper. And was running a lower with a Geissele match trigger. It was lucky to do 1" at 50 with good ammo. The 10/22 was an easy 1/2" rifle at the same distance.

I paid a little over $200 for my 10/22, $100 for the GM barrel, had the extended mag and bolt releases. Probably had less in it than the upper cost with shipping.

Some people say the NC22 is the sh*t. But I'm not willing to take a $500 crap shoot again. IF I carried an M4 for duty and wanted cheap practice I would buy one.

IF I wanted to practice highpower with a cheaper ammo/distance alternative I'd buy a CLE. I just can't afford a $1,500 .22 AR, which is what it would cost for what I'd want.

If I was going to put that much $ into a .22, I'd wait and buy a 700/40X repeater action when they come out and build from there.

IMO, if you want good cheap practice from a .22, find a place you can shoot offhand at 25 yd., use a 50 ft. or 10M target, and shoot cheap hi vel. If you can hold an inch or so offhand like this, you're doing something. If you can do sling supported sitting and prone as well, that's even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me, selling a gun would be like a woman selling a pair of her shoes. Not gonna happen. </div></div>
LOL

I preferred my tac sol upper to my 10-22, but I have never really been a 10-22 fan, short stubby boxy rifle, I really prefer the feel of a quality bolt gun. But a semi auto 22 is fun, so I have owned and built up a couple 10-22s over the years.

For back yard pest control in city limits, the PCP with mod was the ticket. .20 Rapid that shot 1050 fps and was about silent, it would shoot dime sized groups at 50yds but spendy as hell.

Right now I don't have any 10-22s left but have 2 CZ 22 rifles, and a few ruger 22 pistols. I do not miss my 10-22s at all.

I am keeping my 10-22, but it gets used in different ways that the single shot mossberg, rimfire service rifle upper, Anschutz, etc. All are fun in their own way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I preferred my tac sol upper to my 10-22, but I have never really been a 10-22 fan, short stubby boxy rifle, I really prefer the feel of a quality bolt gun. But a semi auto 22 is fun, so I have owned and built up a couple 10-22s over the years.

For back yard pest control in city limits, the PCP with mod was the ticket. .20 Rapid that shot 1050 fps and was about silent, it would shoot dime sized groups at 50yds but spendy as hell.
</div></div>

Been looking at the Evanix rainstorm or M-rod.

I have a .22 conversion kit for my AR, but I rarely shoot it. Don't like all the extra lead-fouling in my barrel.

I actually did the opposite and spent more time and money in a dedicated .22 rifle.

Didn't buy an upper due to thinking that I could probably get more precision for my dollar from a CZ or Savage MKII heavy barrel. D

Didn't buy a conversion kit thinking that I wouldn't get any kind of acceptable target performance out of my AR with a conversion and that I'd be worried about fussy functioning and cleaning of the unit and on top of that, possible lead and dirty .22 powder crud building up in my gas tube, compromising the upper's functioning with its proper ammo.

Kept my 10/22 for practicing semiauto trigger control for cheap, training my kids, lightweight & compact walking around squirrel sporter, etc. Bought a Savage with a heavy barrel rather than "upgrade" the 10/22 for more precision and to have another .22 rifle in the house. Me and both kids can be on the line shooting .22 rifles at the same time.

Now, to get the wife addicted ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2ndamendfan, what kind of groups are each getting, and what upper are you using? </div></div>

Shaman, sorry was away for a few days. Going to be honest I have never shot for "groups". It is a stock S&W 15-22 with a vortex strike fire. Again golf ball hanging from a string at 50 yds is do able 85% of the time either a nick a or a hit through the center, but still a hit. It really is my wife's and daughters' plinker but it does shoot.

I just F---ing hate my 10/22. I only keep it cause it has a laminated stock that matches my daughters cricket. We bought them on the same day. At the time (daughter was 5 then) she thought is was awesome that her gun matched mine. I wanted one since I was 13, they used to be on sale in the Sunday paper for $99 I begged and begged my whole childhood to no avail. 25ish years later and I wanted my daughter to have a gun and said screw it I am getting the one gun I always wanted a ruger 10/22. At the time I already had over 20 guns so it wasn't like I needed it. So it comes with a cheap ass scope use it a couple of times and holly shit I have seen bathroom glass that was clearer (not rugers fault but doesn't help). So remove scope and use iron sights, I actually believe everyone should be able to use iron sights so that doesn't bother me. Flip up rear sight leaf and WTF the scope rail is taller than the rear sight. F--- Me remove scope rail and can't hit shit (at least with scope it was kind of accurate) get closer to target, closer, closer at 50ft it shoots 18 inches low with the iron sights. High I can kind of handle but low, no way. Aiming high the barrel blocks the target. That doesn't even include the fact that after about 1/2 a brick (200-250) rounds it starts jamming alot, it must be kept really clean to function. It hasn't been out of the vault in 5-6 years. Maay never see the light of day again.

Now I just took the MP 15-22 out two weeks ago with a buddy and his two boys while him and I shoot our guns, the 3 kids and 2 wife's where plinking with the MP15-22 4 1/2 hours later 2 bricks (1050 rds) gone through the MP15-22 with 4 FTE/FTF that I cleared. and I am absolutely sure that It had not been cleaned for the brick before that so easy 1500 rds with minimal failures. I would guess around 11,000 rds through it at this point. At round 6,000 rounds I had case split or it fired slightly out of battery. cleared and went on my way, figured out a couple of shots later it had blown the extractor out the ejection port. Called S&W they sent a shipping label, replaced bolt and inspected in 10 days returned with a free mag.

Sorry but I fail to see what all the fuss is about with the 10/22

No because my 10-22 always works and my spikes upper does about half the time..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No because my 10-22 always works and my spikes upper does about half the time.. </div></div>

My spikes drove me crazy till I figured out what it liked. If I feed it CCI Standards it runs great ... going to try the federal auto stuff sometime but haven't yet.

10/22 ... WOuld be hard to part with that one ... had it a long time and it always works. I wouldn't buy one of the newer plastic ones. I don't shoot it much but It gets a lot of range regardless.

the 10/22 cant be replaced by any conversion in my opinion... it will go with me to the grave.

I have a dedicated 22 upper as well for my M4 SBR... doesnt get nearly the use of my 10/22, although its fun.

I have both an AR-22 upper and a couple of 10/22s. My 10/22s get shot WAY more often than my .22 upper.........and are WAY more accurate and MUCH less ammo sensitive. 10/22s are better!

I sold a few... but still have two. One wears a set of tech sights which I really like, it shoots 1/2" groups at 25 yards with bulk ammo. The other is the one I set up with a bull barrel. It's worn a 24" bull and is now outfitted with a 20" bull. I don't see me getting any more 10/22's though. My CMMG 22 AR uppers are running flawlessly and I've set a 20" barrel up for 100-250 yard shooting. Bottom line is all are too much fun. Tech sights for a light carry rifle and iron sight training. 20" AR for long distance 22 shooting, the 16" carbine AR for CQB drills/drilling spinners and the Bull barrel 10/22......just can't let that one go....