• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Didn't Blow Up

camocorvette

Send it
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2010
    Minnesota
    This past weekend I finally fired a few of my first handloads.
    I gota say I felt alittle nervous..

But all my fingers and eyes are accounted for!

I dont have pictures, but then I only fired 5 of them. Just wanted to make sure they werent going to blow up before I got into full scale load production of this data.

Figure i will load 100 or so and then zero my rifle to them. they fired about 4 1/2 inches low of some american ammo that i was using.

I'm using a batch of LC 05, fired twice (not me). Ive trimmed and chamfered it all then full sized it onto some CCI BR-2 primers.

im using 41.9 grains of Hodgen BR-2.

Their capped off with some Speer target match 168 GR BTHP

Im shooting it through a Rem 700 SPS Varmit. I have restocked it, pillar bedded it, free floated it, weighted down the stock and now building up the courage to Acraglas the action.

Group was at max 1 inch. 2 rounds almost in the same hole and the other 3 touching.

That made me pretty happy because theres so many things about reloading that i havent done yet. So im pretty excited to squeeze out some more accuracy.

Im gona get to reloading and take some pictures this weekend if i get a chance.

Re: Didn't Blow Up

If you set up your FL die as per the instructions it came with your probably oversizing your brass, get a headspace gage and measure a fired case from your stick, readjust your FL die to only bump the shoulder back .001-.0015, your gonna need to step up to 175s when you want to stretch it out

I agree with cobra. I started at 155's, then 168's, and now at 175's (bergers)
    smile.gif
    Also the A-max bullets are really east to get good groups with if your only target shooting.

Imo start out with 155's and then move to the 175 smk... skip the 168's.

Learn the wind on the lighter high BC 155's and then you will do great with the 175's.

camovette, how did you find the handloads?

Any stick/difficult bolt lifts or extractions? How do the primers look? Checked for signs of overpressure?

If you have none and you exercise caution when you reload, no need to be scared. Just always wear shooting glasses and ear protection
    smile.gif

Read the manuals, repeatedly. Duplicate published loads to start with, to prove to yourself you can accompish precisely what you set out to do. Stay within published limits. Seek experienced advice before trying something that's not published.

Greg

You are moving too fast.
    It took me many years, and lots of emails with Greg, to get a 1" group.

First you should pay your dues with FALs, AKs, SKSs, and military surplus bolt actions with sewer pipe bores, that will frustrate you.

Never seat the bullet long to touch the lands, as that could raise pressure.

And use cheap bullets, like ones pulled from WWII surplus.

And use the expander ball in the same step as sizing.

And get a Speer load book, read their loads, and infer the properties of various powders.