• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Die cleaning...

Bear24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2012
Oklahoma
Do you guys clean your dies on a regular basis? If so, what do you use. Also include what type of case lube you use (may or may not matter)

I just ran 500 rounds of once fired federal brass through my dies, I cleaned them half way through with some bake cleaner. I didn't lube it per-sey, I just went ahead and lubed up a couple cases and ran them through like normal. I use hornady one shot lube.

I spray them out with Gun Scrubber / Rem Cleaner, then dry with compressed air. A final spray of One Shot to re-lube and protect from corrosion.

I removed the packing grease from mine using denatured alcohol and isopropyl alcohol (depeding on how gunked up the part was). After every 500 rounds or so, I'll take Hoppes No 9 or whatever your favorite bore cleaner is and remove the brass and copper than builds up.

On sizing dies, I do some combo of what everyone above posted. Unless I'm having trouble with them, I usually just screw the corner of a rag up into the sizing die, then follow up with a little oil. I'll wipe off the rod and expander ball. On straightline seating dies, I often take them apart to wipe off the crud and give the moving parts a drop of oil. I always clean new dies to remove any polish or metal chips left over from the manufacturing process. Lightman

Thanks fellas, that all sounds about like what I was thinking I guess I just needed some conformation