• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Die Locking Rings

TSparger

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2020
Marietta, Georgia
Apparently the Hornady Sur-loc die lock rings are a rare commodity these days and I'm needing about 6 of them. Anyone have any experience with any of the other lock rings that work as well as these do? The ones that came on my Redding dies are horrible and need to replace them.

Apparently the Hornady Sur-loc die lock rings are a rare commodity these days and I'm needing about 6 of them. Anyone have any experience with any of the other lock rings that work as well as these do? The ones that came on my Redding dies are horrible and need to replace them.
Basically any lock ring you can find will be better than the redding ones.
That said, you can screw the redding set screw all the way through and knock off the dumb piece of lead they use to jam up the works and then they work fine. Just beware of over tightening and messing up the die threads. Doesnt take much force to hold it in place .

I have been trying to get my hands on the Hornady Sur-Locs for quite a while and they are going to be out of stock for at least a couple months per Hornady. Don't waste your time on Optics Planet they show them to be in stock but when you place your order it says will ship 11/2021 at the earliest. The Forster are nice but I like having some flat edges to get a die wrench on them. I bought these rings off Amazon and the rings are nice and machined well but the wrench that comes with it absolutely sucks. The wrench is made from cheap stamped metal and if you try to put any amount torque to them it will bend and slip off the rings but they still work better than the redding rings that put a set screw on the die threads. There is also the Lee Ultimate Lock Rings you could try...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YY478WS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

If anyone else is interested, I have one more pack of the Hornady rings. PM if you want them.

I too very much like the Hornady locking rings and notice that SAC uses them on their dies.

And yes, for some unfathomable reason they are unobtainium these days.

I ended up buying a six pack on ebay. Yeah, paid way over retail but it still wasn't a lot of money and six rings will last me a very long time.

They sure do lock up solid.

Switched out everything for Sinclair rings a while back and like them a lot. Solid upgrade over the rings that came with the dies I have (mostly Redding). I do use Armanov floating rings on my Dillon along with the Armanov toolhead for a floating die set-up and have better results than the floating toolhead concept that is standard on Dillon toolheads.

Reactions: Painless300
With as good as Redding's products are, I don't understand why they stay with an inferior designed lock ring. Maybe they are too proud to admit that their rings suck compared to those from Forster, Hornady, Sinclair, etc.

not invented here

I have replaced RCBS and Redding die rings with the Hornady for at least the last 20 years. Some things just work.

Forstners are great but I like the flats on the Hornady so the dies don’t roll around on the bench.

I’m out of the Hornady rings now, thanks to all that reached out.

I've had the best results with the RCBS lock rings, but with one caveat - when I install them, I put a piece of #8 lead shot under the brass set screw. The lead locks everything in place beautifully and still gives me very fine control of the die when setting depth.

I've had the best results with the RCBS lock rings, but with one caveat - when I install them, I put a piece of #8 lead shot under the brass set screw. The lead locks everything in place beautifully and still gives me very fine control of the die when setting depth.
Nice. The Redding lock rings already have a piece of lead between the screw and die threads I believe. My issue with the Hornady rings was that it’s challenging/impossible to tighten with a wrench on my T7 in certain cases. The Redding ones work better (or Forster, Sinclair) in this scenario, and the Sinclair wrench makes it simple to lock them tight without even needing to use the set screw. Obviously this would work even better if you have multiple turret heads.

Nice. The Redding lock rings already have a piece of lead between the screw and die threads I believe. My issue with the Hornady rings was that it’s challenging/impossible to tighten with a wrench on my T7 in certain cases. The Redding ones work better (or Forster, Sinclair) in this scenario, and the Sinclair wrench makes it simple to lock them tight without even needing to use the set screw. Obviously this would work even better if you have multiple turret heads.

I'm pretty sure the RCBS ones used to come that way, too. I get the feeling one of California's various anti-lead laws made it difficult or impossible for them to keep doing it.